hey, i hate it how eeveryyything on the n810 has to do with google, can i hook up the email and chat with MSN instead? let me no guys, thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes you can.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
aMSN even allows you to use the camera...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I should mention that you can't use hotmail with the Email app, mostly because hotmail doesn't support POP or IMAP. At least it didn't last time I checked, they may have gotten smart and added support for it.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
I should mention that you can't use hotmail with the Email app, mostly because hotmail doesn't support POP or IMAP. At least it didn't last time I checked, they may have gotten smart and added support for it.
They have (finally) added POP support. Not sure if there's IMAP.

Originally Posted by BaInsIsIll View Post
can i hook up the email and chat with MSN instead? let me no guys, thanks.
For MSN Messenger you can install RTComm like qole said. I did, and I love it but I had some really rough times getting it installed and some things changed before MSN would work.
But you could just install Pidgin from your application manager and put your MSN account in. it is quick and easy. Thats what I was using before RTcomm. Pidgin will give you email arrival notifications not just IMs.

from what I understand hotmail won't let any other email client pull emails. What I did in my hotmail account is set up a "forward all mail" to my Gmail account (I know you may not like Gmail) but at least I get email notifications on the tablet (blue LED)on the go and can read then with out the browser. It will leave a copy of the email in your hotmail so you can send it off from hotmail if you want.

Last edited by icbolsh; 2009-01-18 at 16:24.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
They have (finally) added POP support. Not sure if there's IMAP.

POP3 support is only available for Hotmail Plus users. So you have to be willing to pay $20 a year for something that GMail gives you for free... I'm with icbolsh on this one; forward your mail to GMail if you want to use Hotmail with anything other than webmail.

I just tried Hotmail with the browser... Pretty disappointing. But I've always felt that Microsoft has been trying very hard to make sure using Hotmail in any browser except Internet Explorer was a difficult and painful experience. In my case, Hotmail shows the inbox for a second then suddenly it all disappears... I have to use the scrollbar to go to the very bottom of the page (oh, there's my Inbox!) then carefully use the stylus on a blank part of the page to "pull myself up" to the top of the page.

hey this all sounds great, where exactly do i down load the applicatiin where i can chat on MSN?

open the application manager and download pidgin

open pidgin -> accounts -> add account

It's the easiest way

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Fring aloows you to acces your MSN account among others ( skype, gizmo , etc.. )