Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
UPDATE: WakeOnLan is on testing. Please vote so it can move into the extras repository.

Now available on extras-devel a new utility to wake computers on the same LAN when connected to WIFI.

I don't like keeping my media server on all the time. I like even less to have to leave the couch to power it up when I want to listen to some music, see pictures or watch a movie stored on it.

This application is part of my solution. I can have the computer on standby mode (sleeping), or even powered off, and still turn it on remotely using my n900.

One of the painful steps for most users is to find the mac address for the computer you want to send "wake up" calls, on this application you can type the ip address or the remote host name and it will try to figure out the mac address for you using arping (please note that the computer must be on to work and if using the host name it should be "visible")

p.s. The icons should probably be replaced but I didn't want to wait and find some free good ones before publishing it. If you know of some or are willing to create some to replace these let me know

p.s.(2) for some reason on my n900 the icon is not showing up on the menu after installation - it shows a blue rectangle. I must have done something wrong or it is something wrong with my n900 (it has happened to some other applications I installed lately - after rebooting they show up). And just in case: I do have the postinst run gtk-update-icon-cache. Let me know if it works or not for you ...

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-06-09 at 15:56.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
now what a handy program will give it a try soon as possible. thanks dude

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
For some reason it doesn't work for me, I entered the media server mac address (checked from my router) and tried waking it up (my N900 naturally connected to the same wlan) but nothing happens. I could however add it to "known hosts". WOL is enabled in the media server bios.

LOL

I've had this compiled and running on my N900 for months (wakelan-1.1). Well done for packaging it for easy use

Remember folks, it'll only work for a PC that has a WIRED network connection...actually, that's not really true, but wifi is more problematic.

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...an/mini-howto/

Last edited by Dak; 2010-05-08 at 16:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
For some reason it doesn't work for me, I entered the media server mac address (checked from my router) and tried waking it up (my N900 naturally connected to the same wlan) but nothing happens. I could however add it to "known hosts". WOL is enabled in the media server bios.
Have you tried another wake-on-lan application? Maybe from a computer on the same network...
Let me know if you can get it to work with some other program... I have some other I created if you can't find any...

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
LOL

I've had this compiled and running on my N900 for months (wakelan-1.1). Well done for packaging it for easy use

Remember folks, it'll only work for a PC that has a WIRED network connection...actually, that's not really true, but wifi is more problematic.

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...an/mini-howto/
I am sure you can't have had the same one before because I just created it... I know of another one for diablo that did not use qt. Anyway hopefully this one works as well as the one you have

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
p.s.(2) for some reason on my n900 the icon is not showing up on the menu after installation - it shows a blue rectangle. I must have done something wrong or it is something wrong with my n900 (it has happened to some other applications I installed lately - after rebooting they show up). And just in case: I do have the postinst run gtk-update-icon-cache. Let me know if it works or not for you ...
gtk-update-icon-cache is an empty script ever since PR1.1 (no idea why).
I put my icons in /usr/share/pixmaps THEN copy the .desktop file during .deb installation.
That always brings up the icon after installation.
A reboot might not be necessary, killall hildon-desktop should regenerate the menu.

Thanks for the app btw, I never found one to compile and I need this for scratchbox on the go

I am sure you can't have had the same one before because I just created it... I know of another one for diablo that did not use qt. Anyway hopefully this one works as well as the one you have
Sorry dude....didn't mean to imply that....I was just glad that you had created some WoL utility for others to use.

I compiled the wakelan C project for my N900 a way back....works like a charm Doesn't have a GUI though....not that that's a problem.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Have you tried another wake-on-lan application? Maybe from a computer on the same network...
Let me know if you can get it to work with some other program... I have some other I created if you can't find any...
Thanks for replying. I used to have a symbian phone, which had some WOL utility that worked for waking up this server. This for some reason doesn't work, I'll investigate this a bit more later today and see if it's not this app, but something in my network configuration, since I've made some changes to it quite recently.

Last edited by Soppa; 2010-05-08 at 17:31.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Is there any way to get this working remotely?
I have port 9 forwarded to my PC's IP but it says "Couldn't find mac address for this host"
Any help would be appreciated