Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by knuthf View Post
I use the ON/OFF button on the TV, the sound, and input channel. The rest is on the Set-up box, or the DVD player or even the VHS - and some of these devices are "non-original".
Yes, I've already had inquiries about mapping some buttons to one device and other buttons to another device. Lots of universal remotes have the ability to, say, map most of their buttons to a VCR keyset but have the volume controls "punch through" to a television keyset. I really haven't thought hard enough about it yet, to be honest...

So, do you have a "learning mode" planned?
Well, the "learning mode" available on many modern universal remotes requires the ability to receive IR data. The N900 can only send IR data, so it isn't possible to do. (At least using the built-in hardware. The LIRC guys get their data by connecting an IR receiver to a PC; I suppose you could hook up a USB IR receiver to the N900, though I don't know much about USB host-mode... I'm not really a hardware guy. )

And a quick device selection?
Well, I would like to use the volume rocker to advance back and forth through the list of favorite keysets. (The favorite keysets page itself was intended to be a fairly quick way to switch between keysets, but it is still kinda cumbersome.)

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Thanks! It seems to do something, but I can't figure out what. The volume keys seem to adjust the louver, and the power button causes the A/C to make a sound, but it doesn't turn on or off...
Sorry! I really didn't think too hard when I mapped those keys. Here's the current mapping:

"TIMER" -> Timer button
"SLEEP" -> Sleep button
"TEMP+" -> Volume Up button
"TEMP-" -> Volume Down button
"FAN" -> 1 button
"COOL" -> 2 button
"HEAT" -> 3 button
"FAN HIGH" -> 4 button
"FAN MED" -> 5 button
"FAN LOW" -> 6 button
"SWING" -> 7 button
"POWER" -> Power button

I guess mapping "COOL" to Blue and "HEAT" to Red would make sense, but it gets more complicated trying to map the rest to the current UI...

BTW, the source code to Pierogi should be available for download on the Garage site:

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/ggi...php/?p=pierogi

If I haven't mentioned it before, this project is released under the GPL version 2.0 or later, the same as the LIRC project (upon which I've based much of my code).

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Normal remote controls send the command once pause then sends the command repeatedly.
Pierogi sends the command repeatedly, so sometimes toggle commands can be twitchy like mute for example.
Really? Hmm, pretty much every IR protocol I've seen calls for the remote control to immediately start repeating a command once the button is pressed, and to keep repeating the command until the user lets up on the button. In fact, most protocols go out of their way to tell the receiving device "the user is holding down the button right now, not pressing it repeatedly".

In fact, I have just now held the mute button down in front of my Sanyo, and the TV stayed muted rather than switching mute on and off.

The odds are good that there is a bug in my code; the protocol must not be sending the "I am repeating" code correctly. Can you tell me which keyset you were using?

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
LG TV Keyset 1
You are correct, must be a bug on that Keyset
Just tested a Sony Keyset mute works perfect.

This LG Keyset Mute toggles on and off rapidly and the volume control is a little twitchy.

The "holding the button down" command makes sense, with the problem I'm having.

I guess my TV must interpret the command so it moves, once pauses and then moves quickly.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
LG TV Keyset 1
Found it. That brand of LG is using the standard "NEC" protocol (the most popular IR protocol in the world, by far). You can show that a key is being repeated in two different ways in the NEC protocol, and I've got a flag to set which type of repeat to use.

And I've got that flag set wrong. Darn!

I'll have that fixed in the next update. Thanks!

@C0pernicus...

2 questions

1 - Have you looked into double bursting key codes to increase range ?

2 - Where can i find the keyset for the NHENS (Digital Stream) DTX9900 ? Its a digital receiver.

Here's the conf file
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/...stream/DTX9900

ps: widget support would be helpful as well.
A super power off button would kick ***.

Last edited by anyonebutthis; 2012-02-13 at 01:56.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Too bad Saba isn't supported yet. I'm staying at a campinghut with a Saba mini-tv with a lacking remote.
This is a real life scenario where Pierogi could have come to the resque.

I'm staying here for at least a week,you've got plenty of time to fix it(joke!)

Originally Posted by anyonebutthis View Post
1 - Have you looked into double bursting key codes to increase range ?
Hmm, not sure what "double bursting" means. The IR LED is your basic flashlight -- you can turn it on and turn it off. There are no power settings that I know of. (And the timing of IR codes is fixed -- if you try to run them faster or slower, the target device will simply not understand what you are trying to say...)

2 - Where can i find the keyset for the NHENS (Digital Stream) DTX9900 ? Its a digital receiver.

Here's the conf file
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/...stream/DTX9900
Well, LIRC config files are themselves keysets, written down in a format that the LIRC server can understand. That particular keyset is using the standard "NEC" protocol, so it'd be easy to put into Pierogi as well; I'll go ahead and put it on my list.

ps: widget support would be helpful as well.
I'm not much of a UI guy, so I'm not sure what kind of widgets would work for this sort of thing. Pierogi, as it stands right now, is a bit complex for use as a widget, I would think. Still, I've got the IR device code almost completely separate from the GUI code right now, so it'd be easy to make a different front end for the app (or, for that matter, to port it to other hardware). It shouldn't be too hard to morph the program into some other form...

A super power off button would kick ***.
I'm pretty sure that already exists! I think it's called tv-b-gone or something like that...

Originally Posted by datjomp View Post
Too bad Saba isn't supported yet. I'm staying at a campinghut with a Saba mini-tv with a lacking remote.
This is a real life scenario where Pierogi could have come to the resque.

I'm staying here for at least a week,you've got plenty of time to fix it(joke!)
Hey, actually, I have a rather embarrasing LG bug that I'd like to get fixed, this would give me a good excuse to push another update out asap. It looks like Saba is using the "Thomson" protocol; I haven't done a Thomson device yet, but the protocol looks simple to implement. Let me see how quickly I can get it done...

Ok, Pierogi 0.6.2 is now working its way into the Extras-Devel repository. This one features:
  • Fix for the LG bug
  • A few new (and possibly somewhat dodgy) Daewoo keysets
  • A first pass at keysets for Sky, Western Digital, and Saba

Once again, as with anything in the extras-devel area, please be ready to deal with potential bugs. Thanks!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control