Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
the whole camera covering issue will not go away, because the camera is in the middle
Originally Posted by robnas View Post
Well....explain, please.

i have a trick up my sleeve to eliminate this issue
will be revealed in first rev2 proto video

maybe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2itq2vb.jpg

will be revealed in first rev2 proto video

maybe
wouldn't it be better for the keyboard layout to simply make a little "cut out" for the flash LED when the keyboard is pulled out instead of the two big holes?
after all, the other ½ can be exchanged if in "photo safari"
possibly w/ a "photo" ToH, with tripod fixation, additional Xenon flash (+ battery) & knows gawd what more

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I think that different layouts would be a need (I would need a spanish qwerty layout), but other customizations are unnecesary, and it's better to focus on functionality and price.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
+1 on functionality and reliability. With that price it's usability must be good/very good, and it must work consistently and reliably. That should be the main focus. Throw out customizability and easy modifiability if they get in the way of reaching functionality and reliability.

I might pay 150€ for it if it really is functional and reliable. If it's price was 100€, I wouldn't demand as much functionality, but I still wouldn't spend even that much money if it wasn't reliable at least.

Just my two cents.

PS: don't still make it look like a frankenkbd : P

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
+1 on functionality and reliability. With that price it's usability must be good/very good, and it must work consistently and reliably. That should be the main focus. Throw out customizability and easy modifiability if they get in the way of reaching functionality and reliability.

I might pay 150€ for it if it really is functional and reliable. If it's price was 100€, I wouldn't demand as much functionality, but I still wouldn't spend even that much money if it wasn't reliable at least.

Just my two cents.

That's my opinion, too.

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post

Just my two cents.

That sums up my opinion quite well, too.

150€ is quite a lot of money for a keyboard - for the same money, you can get an Android smartphone with hardware similar to Jolla's...

But with a fully functional and well built ("professional feeling") hardware keyboard the Jolla would really be a unique device again.
I can live with limited/no choice of customization (although I would love a German layout QWERTZ keybord) if function and quality are good.

For 100,-€ I could live with a device that blocks the camera when keyboard is opened (not that much of a deal to snap it back in - but NOT acceptable the other way round, e.g. keyboard has to be pulled out to take a photo), but a 150,-€ device should make it possible to take photos in both states.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
That sums up my opinion quite well, too.

150€ is quite a lot of money for a keyboard - for the same money, you can get an Android smartphone with hardware similar to Jolla's...

But with a fully functional and well built ("professional feeling") hardware keyboard the Jolla would really be a unique device again.
I can live with limited/no choice of customization (although I would love a German layout QWERTZ keybord) if function and quality are good.

For 100,-€ I could live with a device that blocks the camera when keyboard is opened (not that much of a deal to snap it back in - but NOT acceptable the other way round, e.g. keyboard has to be pulled out to take a photo), but a 150,-€ device should make it possible to take photos in both states.
Okay cool, I think I have enough opinions about this subject to continue for a while! Thanks all! I'll do my best

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
I know you already discounted this idea

But a vertical keypad, like N95/N96, would solve the camera access issue as someone mentioned earlier.

It would also be (potentially) possible to make it thinner, coz you will have more support (opening mechanism along the longer edge of the phone)

Just an opinion - pls don't take it otherwise

Originally Posted by sid21177 View Post
I know you already discounted this idea

But a vertical keypad, like N95/N96, would solve the camera access issue as someone mentioned earlier.

It would also be (potentially) possible to make it thinner, coz you will have more support (opening mechanism along the longer edge of the phone)

Just an opinion - pls don't take it otherwise
Since this is -as you mention- discussed before, I would like to refer to my previous answer about this idea.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-08-19 at 19:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
First mock-up proto is on the way, pics/video this week!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd