Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@Estel && Saturn
hold on people we are all at the same team there is no need to get in another fight

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sorry Saturn, but if someone write "I tried to attack with Reaver and couldn't succeed for long time, then I tried to spoof MAC and it was it - damn, he was using MAC filtering" and, in next post "It was my friend/neighbour/dog's router, and I got permission to attack it", it's really abusive - it means that he is treating us as idiots.
Sure. We need to explain him the problems due to his actions, he might have missed that part. If you like to help educating more users on the consequences of misuse, it's a noble thing to do and I've supported and done it myself many times in this thread.

Writing "you can never be sure about intentions" is pure sophism from your side - you can say like that in any situation, even if someone asks You details about preparing a most cheap, yet destructive bomb filled with steel nails.
I never said that. In any case, his intentions might be good but his actions might be wrong. Again, help is welcome but needs to be done in a polite/civilised way.

As for "argumentum ad hominem" - it seems to me, that You're trying to tell me, that You actually agree with "fair use" requiment. Yet, You argue, due to out-of-merit things, trying to accuse me, because I haven't sugar-coated my post. It seems to fill criteria for "argumentum ad hominem" perfectly, even if You don't realize it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Example:

What the hell owning Community have to do with fair use of software (that YOU have asked for in program disclaimer)?

/Estel
Politeness is not sugar-coating. I'm trying to explain you that we, as a community here, will all gain more if the conversations remain in a civilised tone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
@Estel && Saturn
hold on people we are all at the same team there is no need to get in another fight

./sifo
This is not a fight. We are making a conversation.

ok then complete sorry

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
This is not a fight. We are making a conversation.
And it seems, that we've reached point where we agree. As I understand it now, you're not defending his actions, but require a more polite tone of reminding it.

I became more harsh after his arrogant answer, where he sounds like exactly knowing that he's doing bad thing, yet, lying about it + demanding excuses from me. My first post sounds quite polite to me, maybe except part about keeping a** to his own router It isn't sound very offending, IMO, especially in given context.

Still, I understand Your point, and agree - more polite answer would save us from this discussion & controversies. So, "peace & respect" - I think everything is clear now, and we can conclude this discussion. I'll try to bash educate evil-doers here as politely, as possible

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-12 at 23:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I hate to do this, but I'm getting frustrated. I'm a newbie who needs some hand holding. I'm somewhat familiar with Backtrack, and I came across a used N900 for a more portable solution. I'm starting at zero with the N900. So far, all I've done is fix the USB port, and do a wipe by reinstalling the OS, from the directions here: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/01/03/ho...n900/#comments . I also installed rootsh. I also tried to add a new catalog, Maemo Extras, but apparently the tutorial I found was too old, and I get 404 errors. Oddly enough, when I go to the page manually, I get a catalog..

I managed to install Cleven, but of course it doesn't work. Loading the injection drivers makes the MAC address disappear, and I get the previously-mentioned error about the system not finding a known compatible kernel version. I see mention of KP50, but I don't know if that's an official kernel, or a hacked one, and if getting it would make things better or worse.

So:
1) What are the basic prerequisites for packages such as Cleven?

2) What is the best way to fix the compatible kernel issue?

3) Any other advice for a N900/Maemo newbie?

Thanks!

@RChadwick

1- you need injection drivers and some packages

2- install KP50 it is better than the original nokia kernel

3- the best advice to always use the power search button on the right of this page before asking or posting threads !

4- and don't accept candies from a stranger

./sifo

Last edited by sifo; 2012-05-18 at 17:11.

Thanks for the reply. However, I'm still confused. I thought Cleven already had (Or automatically got) the injection drivers, or am I wrong? Also, I found KP50, but no mention of how to actually install. Is there a tutorial on how to install KP50? Or any tutorial for someone starting at zero? Most of the tutorials I've found seem outdated.

Also, I've been searching. And searching. And searching. Over 30 open tabs, just on Maemo, and I'm still confused. Most of it seems to be based on a basic understanding of the N900, which I don't have.

we dont need to hijack this thread have a look at this link and post there what you want :
KP50 THREAD

@RChadwick

the thing is, that Cleven does pull injection drivers as dependency, but, injection drivers itself require kp50. Normally, You should get it pulled automatically, but from Your description, it seems to me, that You're installing every package by hand, instead of using repositories? I.e. You download it from package maintenance system, and dpkg -i on device, right?

This is going to bring You many dependency problems, unless You're really experienced. Even if so, it's unnecessary to make it harder, without any good purpose. Please, click "community": button on top of this page, then "Use the wiki", and, from there, search for articles about repositories. You don't need to add extras - it's already available for You, after reflashing - You need extras-testing (for kp50) or extras-devel, if you know what You're doing.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
aircrack, cleven, reaver