Active Topics

I'm using a nexus 7 2013 with the n900 as hotspot for internet access. The N900 is very unstable as hotspot - I connect to it and always after a few minutes I get disconnected and being unable to connect to it again. This same behavior happened from a laptop with windows, and when using both Joikuspot and QT mobile hot spot.

I also tried running this script which did not allow a device to connect to the n900 at all (although the hotspot could be seen in the list of the discovered wireless access networks):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73406

Anyone uses the n900 as hotspot and getting a stable connection?

i currently have the following installed:

Community SSU version = 2011.38-1Tmaemo9.1+thumb1
Kernel Power Version = 2.6.28.10-power52

update:

I also tried to connect from a second n900 (so this is not related to android/pc) - connection "seems" to work after 2 minutes of waiting (the wifi icon on top stops flashing) - but no internet, no access to the n900 with the enabled hotspot - this was tried with joiku.

Last edited by impeham; 2014-08-25 at 21:45.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
Anyone uses the n900 as hotspot and getting a stable connection?
I'm not sure this will help, but I can say that I was using one of my N900s as a hotspot fairly regularly last year. The only time it developed problems was when I would drive it too hard; it would start losing connections with continuous data transfers that lasted upwards of an hour or more. This was probably due to overheating, as the phone was always hot to the touch when these problems occurred. (I avoided large data transfers with the hotspot after that.)

This was using Joikuspot, running on vanilla PR1.3.1.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Well - the heat is not the problem in my case.

i did a small test - tried to set the devices to static ip and connect to the hotspot. when i do this - the connection is established very fast but not working - no internet and no access to the n900 itself.

maybe this is dhcp issue? is there a way to set up static ip using one of the hotspots apps (qtmobile/joiku/script) that it'll work?

so far i was not able to create a working connection using the script (which is the best method for me to start/stop the hotspot). the hotspot is visible to other devices, but a connection to it cannot be made

Last edited by impeham; 2014-08-26 at 09:02.

Strange. Using QT Mobile hotspot (for both WiFi semi-access point, and as an USB one), I never had any problems. Like, at all.

Considering, that hotspot mode is de-facto ad-hoc, maybe something is affecting your ad-hoc cinnections, too? Have you tried estabilishing one (via vanilla Maemo's network settings) and check its stabilit?

Not sure if it is an option for your case, but you could use Bluetooth PAN network sharing - it uses much less battery power, and is not less safe than WEP-only ad-hoc hotspot...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
By Vanilla you mean to reflash to stock state? haven't tried that yet but will do with no other choice.

i once tried to connect through bluetooth (security is not an issue for me) and was unsuccessful. it is also much less desired since on the android tablet it will have issues with many apps that don't know how to use it (they look for wireless connections).

i will check the options and post back.

Estel - were you able to use the script for start/stop the hotspot with success? any changes made to it as it is in the post to make it work?

No, I just meant using "vanilla" maemo network settings functionality for creating ad-hoc network. No need for reflash.

As for script, I haven't tried last iteration, as I'm using QT Mobile hotspot without any issues, for ages.

As for BT, in last few pages of BT PAN thread, I documented my efforts (succeed) to get it working it, using Kossuth's tips and kernel-power bridge driver. It is much simpliet than method from original post.

But, indeed, your point about stupid android programs (that can't use bluetooth as dummy-network style connection) is valid. No idea if someone hacked a solution for Androids to ovfercome this.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
after tests i've been doing in the past few days i found that QT mobile hotspot does work well, but only if i manually disconnect the Wifi connection before starting it.

so i execute this before start and it works great:

dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.icd2 /com/nokia/icd2 com.nokia.icd2.disconnect_req uint32:0x8000

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Interesting. It might be worth to integrate it into Qt Mobile Hotspot's helper scripts itself (of course, only for wifi hotspot, not USB one) and update version in repos - after all, it must shut down wifi connection before starting anyway, so no possible drawbacks here.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
after tests i've been doing in the past few days i found that QT mobile hotspot does work well, but only if i manually disconnect the Wifi connection before starting it.

dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.icd2 /com/nokia/icd2 com.nokia.icd2.disconnect_req uint32:0x8000

Thanks.
qt hotspot works great the latter never worked or had issues and that usb networking is awsome the best no need of crap suite slowing down a less effecient pc also it got a nice icon

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Hmm, could be possible to integrate in /opt/qtmobilehotspot/utils/start.sh.

BUT: this command is already in /opt/qtmobilehotspot/utils/systemprotection.sh
together with unloading/loading wifi drivers,
when one of the scripts in
/opt/qtmobilehotspot/utils/systemprotection.d
fails.
Did not check the contents or why/when it is executed ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: