Active Topics

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
using qt mobile hotspot there is only wep security and my n900 after a reflash and repositioning is now amazingly covering the entire block with few dead spots but in qt hotspot there is only wep encryption which is like child lock on tv

how to increase hotspot security a bit so that precious data isint gobbeld up by someone easily as a couple of days ago 500+mb were missing from my account though i didnt use a password back then and wep is next to nothing which i set up now
also can i get better coverage from a wifi acces point than the n900 how diffrent is that?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
can i get better coverage from a wifi acces point than the n900
In theory, no. Both are limited (by law, at least in Europe) to a maximum of 100mW EIRP.

What does that mean?

Mobile phones' directional characteristics should be pretty much isotropic (that is, they radiate the same in every direction), to achieve the same performance no matter which way they are rotated. Wireless access points (WAP) generally have (a set of) directional antennas to achieve a more efficient distribution. Think of your phone as a WAP: all the waves it radiates to the sky and to the ground are wasted. With a flatter directional diagram, you could cover a bigger area with the same power. Or the same area with less power.

The above 100mW EIRP limitation postulates that with a more efficient antenna, a WAP is limited to the latter option, covering the same ditance in the direction of peak sensitivity as the mobile phone does in any direction, only using less power.

So no, a WAP does not transmit farther. It can, however, receive more efficiently which may help a little bit in edge situations.

This is all just a theory though. You would be better off performing an experiment and giving us the results. Do not forget to state the make and model when you do. Not all WAPs are created equally compliant

@pichlo thanks for the explanations i was just wondering about those anteenas in wap so buying one would be a waste of money rather i test it on a friends wap
one more question about those channels what are they for i.e when i check connection details it says connected to channel 1 and i googled a bit so just want to know how to change them on a n900 and weather they are responsible for speed /coverage
i disabled power savings in /settings/internet connections/n900 hotspot so thats it or there is something more to do
any advice on hotspot security to tighten it a bit more

so far i figured out quite a few things by myself next is ssh sheduled on sunday .. i am exited

If you want to learn about a subject, an encyclopedia is a good start

A channel simply means a carrier frequency. Like on your TV or FM radio: you can retune to a different one to get a different station. Depending on the region, WiFi can use 12, 13 or 14 channels. That is quite a limited number, so WiFi routers quite often share the same channels. (The situation is actually even worse due to the channels overlapping, read the Wikipedia article. In practice you are stuck with only about 3 usable channels.)

If two networks share the same channel, they need to time multiplex (basically same as time sharing on your holiday property). In other words, two networks on the same channel compete for the bandwidth which may result in a slower connection. To avoid the problem, it may help to switch to a less busy channel.

How to do that is device specific. Most routers and WAPs have a web interface with a lot of options, including the channel. Whether or where such an option is in QT Mobile Hotspot, I have no idea. Never used it and do not intend to.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-09-04 at 17:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
well anybody else ?
the avove guy referd encyclopedia
till then hunting as suggested
thanks

how do i ping a n900 via another n900 via wifi ?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
In theory, no. Both are limited (by law, at least in Europe) to a maximum of 100mW EIRP.

What does that mean?

Mobile phones' directional characteristics should be pretty much isotropic (that is, they radiate the same in every direction), to achieve the same performance no matter which way they are rotated. Wireless access points (WAP) generally have (a set of) directional antennas to achieve a more efficient distribution. Think of your phone as a WAP: all the waves it radiates to the sky and to the ground are wasted. With a flatter directional diagram, you could cover a bigger area with the same power. Or the same area with less power.

The above 100mW EIRP limitation postulates that with a more efficient antenna, a WAP is limited to the latter option, covering the same ditance in the direction of peak sensitivity as the mobile phone does in any direction, only using less power.

So no, a WAP does not transmit farther. It can, however, receive more efficiently which may help a little bit in edge situations.

This is all just a theory though. You would be better off performing an experiment and giving us the results. Do not forget to state the make and model when you do. Not all WAPs are created equally compliant
well you are right an wap is not so diffrent in coverage its just a bit stronger in the deadzones but then the n900 fails to connect i discoverd that by a putting the n900 on a canteena intresting thing is if a canteena is used in both sides the effective range increases by almost 20 mts more one more thing is a wap is bit stable the dbm dosent jump much wheras the n900 hotspot dbm fractulates a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
how do i ping a n900 via another n900 via wifi ?
Code:
ping <other N900's IP address>
Oddly, on N900 you need to be root to run ping. This should not be the case and is usually not the case on other OSes but there you go.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Code:
ping <other N900's IP address>
Oddly, on N900 you need to be root to run ping. This should not be the case and is usually not the case on other OSes but there you go.
damm it was so easy
thanks