Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
EDIT: plus, once the "no upgrade" news gets around, those unconvinced customers will be even fewer.
most apps (coded) for Apollo should also run on Mango, thus the OS version doesn't really matter.
but for the non techie consumer that simply translates to "old software" on "old hardware"...
why bother?
Well, and for that matter, the same argument could be made for iOS and Android apps, too. MOST Android apps should and DO run on everything from Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) all the way back to 1.5 (Donut). MOST iOS apps will still run on most older versions of iOS. This is hardly a selling argument for their platform.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Well, and for that matter, the same argument could be made for iOS and Android apps, too. MOST Android apps should and DO run on everything from Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) all the way back to 1.5 (Donut). MOST iOS apps will still run on most older versions of iOS. This is hardly a selling argument for their platform.
tiny puny li'l detail...
anybody & everybody gets either an ANDroid or an iPotato device (ear to mouth, good will, call it whatever you want...)
what has wp going for it?
obviously not the AT&T sales people...

Last edited by misterc; 2012-04-21 at 08:13. Reason: whatever

The hardest point to argue will be: most android phones still waiting for ICS update, months after N900 non-android phone had it. Will get it 2-3 months before contract renewal. Damn, Microsoft with their Apollo non-update just broke all the rules (Belle on N97?)

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
The hardest point to argue will be: most android phones still waiting for ICS update, months after N900 non-android phone had it. Will get it 2-3 months before contract renewal. Damn, Microsoft with their Apollo non-update just broke all the rules (Belle on N97?)
copy that.
said it myself, from a technical point of view, OS (version) is not a factor for apps, thus doesn't really matter.
only:
  • m$ has a bad reputation on the mobile market
  • the sales ppl in the shop (or elsewhere, see thread title...) don't care to push it
  • apps are more likely to cost (more) b/c their are less enthusiasts out, thus less ppl inclined to make an app... just for the fun of it (& make it available online; the infrastructure simply isn't there)
most customers don't choose their new phone with their head but mostly... with their guts, or social media & all

i'm not saying wp has to fail (i take for granted it will ), simply listing reasons why...
any reason (or... sign?) it is a roaring success?

Mind you ICS on N900 is a crippled affair.. but SURE! It's ICS! ...kinda. DAMN that non-Android phone closed-source bits! heh Good thing Android was open enough to port to a non-Android device. Can't really say the same for Maemo. How about porting Windows Phone to a non-Windows-Phone device? No? Aw shux! So much for breaking all the rules.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
copy that.
said it myself, from a technical point of view, OS (version) is not a factor for apps, thus doesn't really matter.
only:
  • m$ has a bad reputation on the mobile market
  • the sales ppl in the shop (or elsewhere, see thread title...) don't care to push it
  • apps are more likely to cost (more) b/c their are less enthusiasts out, thus less ppl inclined to make an app... just for the fun of it (& make it available online; the infrastructure simply isn't there)
most customers don't choose their new phone with their head but mostly... with their guts, or social media & all

i'm not saying wp has to fail (i take for granted it will ), simply listing reasons why...
any reason (or... sign?) it is a roaring success?
Well, and don't forget that most people want what they see their family and friends are clearly enjoying--especially if it will do the things they need. PLUS--it helps to have support... both from the companies involved as well as the people you know. If you know family and friends have it, you're likely going to be able to ask them for their suggestions or for help. At least, that's how it seems most people think and it's not all that unreasonable.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Is crippled worse than 'none at all'?

Is crippled worse than 'none at all'?
If you can't make calls, for example? Yes. I'd rather use a slightly older version that works flawlessly than a crippled newer one, yes.

But isn't it all about latest gloss/eye-candy? Previous version also didn't have calls so you're not losing anything, just gaining (sure your point stands, but my point with 99% andoird devices lagging behind latest OS releases also does, lets call it a tie)

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If you can't make calls, for example? Yes. I'd rather use a slightly older version that works flawlessly than a crippled newer one, yes.
Man, in the name of the spectators, thanks for fighting this uphill battle!

But isn't it all about latest gloss/eye-candy? Previous version also didn't have calls so you're not losing anything, just gaining (sure your point stands, but my point with 99% andoird devices lagging behind latest OS releases also does, lets call it a tie)
It seems that you're following some other conversation than the one we're having. You see, he (szopin of yesterday's conversation) was making the point that the N900 (a non-Android device) is getting a NEWER version of Android than most actual Android devices. To whit, I replied pointing out that the N900 Android experience is surely a newer one, but severely crippled and slower than even the slightly older versions of Android running on Android devices.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Man, in the name of the spectators, thanks for fighting this uphill battle!
It just makes sense, I think. But you're welcome!

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows