Not sure if this is just isolated to the unit I have, but I am having trouble getting my n900 to charge from an external source. I have 3 items that I tend to use for emergency power and have not had an issue with anything else I own charging from them. I have tried the following:

APC external power pack = won't charge n900
ZaggSparq = won't charge n900
cig lighter adapter w/usb ports = won't charge n900
computer usb port = charges n900
Included charger = charges n900

Like I said I have charged other devices including my n800 and n810, hell the zaggsparq will charge them both at the same time, but alas no n900 love. Anyone else having an issue?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I think these may be issues with the microusb port on the N900, hardware wise, not necessarily with software.

In my car I notice that the same charger and cable may sometimes charge the device and sometimes not. If I move the connectors around a bit they do and when I let go they stop. This has happened with different chargers and cable combinations and leads me to believe it is the microusb connection to the device, coupled with the car chargers voltage somehow.

If I lay the device screen down onto the passenger seat itīll charge, screen up it won't. So thereīs some slight difference in how gravity pulls on the connector and cable thatīs making it reach contact.

However at home, and when I hook a cable up to my laptop I havenīt had issues, so maybe itīs the addition of rattling and moving that makes the N900 break off the contact?

But it worries me a little bit that I only have this microusb port. I hope it proves to be more rigid than I fear.
It appears there is some form of handshake going on to open a gate to charge. May be a standard that computers and some chargers adhere to and some other chargers do not comply with. The N900 is picky, but probably by design- for safety reasons.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
That is bad new :P

I was planning to get a 3000+ mAh charger so that I could go crazy all day long.

Damn, was hoping it was a glitch. Battery doesn't last me a full day with current usage. I guess its back to carrying another device along with my phone. Sigh

The Following User Says Thank You to nef919 For This Useful Post:
i'm experience the same problem with APC mobile power pack

sometime when plug to computer with screen and keys locked it can't start charging

Yeah, my JAVOedge external battery pack/charger doesn't work either

We gave up USB OTG for *this* ??

Anybody know of some sort of "handshake adapter" that could be used inline between a "standard" external battery pack and the N900 to emulate whatever happens with the included nokia charger?

Edit: Anybody know of a reason this wouldn't work as the aforementioned "handshake adapter":

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...dapter-ca-146c

??

Looks like I could use my 2mm tips that I had for the N95 and N800 and put this inline with it to charge the N900.

Edit #2:
Found 'em for $3 apiece with free shipping. Gonna order a couple and see how they work out.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29208

Last edited by texaslabrat; 2009-12-13 at 04:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
I can confirm this:

Cig lighter adapter with USB port and generic micro USB cable doesn't work with my n900. Not sure if the nokia cable works in cig lighter port yet, will try tomorrow. Is there such a thing as non-powered micro usb cables vs. powered usb micro cables? If so that could be the issue as I know other devices can be picky depending on the cable. I would like a fix for this also, or at least know if we need to buy nokia cables exclusively.

i have the zaggsparq and can confirm it does charge my n900.

Last edited by intofx; 2009-12-13 at 04:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to intofx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It appears there is some form of handshake going on to open a gate to charge. May be a standard that computers and some chargers adhere to and some other chargers do not comply with. The N900 is picky, but probably by design- for safety reasons.
A device is allowed to draw 100ma from a USB port by default. There is some USB signal protocol to allow a device to draw up to 500ma if the host gives permission. Many devices ignore this and try to draw whatever they want.

There is no standard for USB dumb chargers. Different manufacturers make up their own ad hoc method, often a certain resitance between certain pins. As you might imagine, different resistances and pins are used.

Openmoko published their method, it will be interesting to see whether Nokia does the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by intofx View Post
i have the zaggsparq and can confirm it does charge my n900.
Unfortunately for me, my Proporta 3400mah pack does not. It has worked with everything else that I've tried, including a friend's iphone.