Notices

Poll: Do you want a standard qwerty in landscape mode?
Poll Options
Do you want a standard qwerty in landscape mode?

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I am working on a "phonebook/contacts" application and would be quite easy to create an interface to launch your application with a phone number for a contact.

check it at: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55513

Ideally we could just create a Dbus message for that. Is your application written in C++/QT?
Yes! it is written using C++/Qt and QtMobility.
In my roadmap i set to take a look around about "phonebook/contacts" application to use in FastSMS.

I will take a look to your app asap and perhaps we can collaborate on this

this is a really good opportunity to fix what has been broken with nokia T9 style texting on other phones for years.. my suggestions here will bring the best aspects from symbian T9 and sony ericsson texting (sony's system is better than symbian in many ways)
This feedback contains reference to <NEXT> and <PREV> as the key that moves to the next guess and the previous guess respectively

here's the feedback:

Landascape spelling should be "Landscape"

If I enter a sequence of periods ........ then delete them all and enter just one period again . then the <NEXT> key doesnt change the guess.. It's stuck as a period?

The dictionaries seem to contain some junk - i try to write the english word BE and i get CF CE CD - none of these are english words. If you'd like me to prune the dictionary files for you, just pass them along

It also doesnt seem to suggest in alphabetical order (i think i remember reading that it did) words that havent been used yet?

Program should suggest words with accented characters with lower priority than non accented.. e.g. i'm using english lite dict and I want to write "he", i press 43 and I get IE ID HÉ HF.. eventually HE comes around, but I wonder why the word order is that the accented char is first. Perhaps we should grab some long texts in english (like War and Peace or the bible) and break them into words, counting each word, and provide fastsms dictionary files with words already arranged in the order of most popular to least popular?

the word priority might frustrate the user:
if I write HE, the next time, it will write HE. If I write HE ten times, then write IF once, the next time it will suggest IF first.. i.e. it seems to work in a "most recently used" mode, not a "most often used" mode
Most often used mode is better - if you have MRU mode, users will get confused because the suggestions will always be jumping around.. Suppose they write HE ten times to every one time of IF, the user gets a "memory" in his fingers that HE is 43, and IF is 43<NEXT> but if youre always switching around the word order based on MRU, this logic doesnt hold and it will slow down the texting and frustrate the user

Holding the * key should bring a list of symbols

Holding the number keys should insert the numbers

Pressing the # key should change the case. Pressing the # key while a word is highlighted should change the case of the word abc>Abc>ABC>abc...
(You'll need another key to go to the previous guess)

Holding the # key should flick between number-entry and text-entry

After a short delay when entering a word, a drop down should appear containing all the guesses in order of most-often-used so the user can either tap a dropdown item to insert the word, or get some visual feedback as to how many times <NEXT> must be pressed to get the word they want

"New word" should be on a menu and call it "Insert word" (like symbian phones)

The 5800's predictive keyboard is really nice, actually:

You could go for a layout like this, which would lead to extra functionality like:

There should be a way of writing compound words, like "Wintel" ->write WIN, press right cursor (see the 5800 keypad), write "tel"
However, UNLIKE symbian phones, you SHOULDNT add the compound word to the dictionary when the user presses space - symbian phones do that and it causes the user dictionary to fill up with so much junk you wouldnt believe

Naturally from this it follows that the cursor shouldnt "take hostage" the word it is near to immediately.. The cursor should be allowed to be at the beginning/end of a word without taking it hostage, and another press (of the relevant arrow key) takes hostage

SMS character counter (i forgot the formula for working out concatenated sms length.. it's something like 160 chars for the first text and then each concatted part is 152 chars, less another 7 chars at the end, so a 2 part sms is 160,160-7-8 and a n part is 160,160-7...,160-8 but dont quote me on that)

Additions to the user dictionary should only be made when using the "insert word" function

If i press 6 once, I get an "a" character with a circle on top.. should this not be on the 2 key?

Do you think the guesses should wrap around? this may also (like holding the key) be a faster way of entering numbers.. because numbers are always the last guess, pressing 2 <PREV> would get to the number faster than 2 <NEXT><NEXT><NEXT>...

A way to edit the custom dictionary incase some junk gets added would be most handy

A way to tell if the user has used the hardware keyboard, and just let them type using it (easy way to insert custom word, without pressing the new button)

This may be a bug with the Qt edit box in general, as the same thing happens in other apps, but hen i first open the program the vertical bar | showing where text will input is invisible. I can write an entire SMS and it is still invisible, which is a bit.. weird feeling
To get it visible, I tap somewhere in the edit box and it appears..

I just now wrote a text: NORMING GORGEOUS. Of course, I meant to say "MORNING", so I tap on it to highlight it so I can change it and pressed <NEXT> to change it to MORNING.
I wondered if it had updated the most-often-used order when i moved focus off the word, but it didnt.. I also note with interest if I tap on it again, it becomes focused, and if I press space, it stays focused (but the space is added) and if I press backspace, the end letter of the word is deleted? Expected behaviour: tap word, word highlights, press space, word unhighlights and space is added after the word.. cursor positioned after the space

It doesnt seem to handle words with apostrophes before S such as WHAT'S (contraction of WHAT IS). I also struggled to type I'LL because it kept flicking to H'LL
Perhaps making symbols on key 1 more integrated as words would help with this (i.e. they are word characters in their own right and hence the highlighting doesnt break when 1 is pressed/1 is not a word boundary)
This may also help provide things like smily faces on 1.. I'd like to be able to press 111 and insert :-) as a "word"

Gotta say tho, I've found very few bugs in the app and i'm impressed how well it handles things generally. It's looking good, and could realise all my dreams of things i've complained about with regard to symbian texting for years.. If you want any assstance with it, from a data file, gui or qt point of view (my qt isnt amazing, but I'm getting there with it - i'm a c# guy normally) then just ask - it would only be fair of me to offerto help implement my long wishlist here

Last edited by cjard; 2010-06-15 at 09:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
@maxximuscool: buttons takes colour from selected N900 theme.

@woody14619 and eitama: Did you use english-full dictionary? If yes try to switch to english normal and let me know. english-full is very big and not really good for use atm.

@woody14619
1> It takes forever to "digest" the dictionary on the first run. Maybe you want to pre-digest the given dictionaries shipped?

Maybe Yes: the reason for leave this works on first start is because other users can easily add their language. In a second moment, when i can include more commons languages i will give pre-compiled dictionaries

4> It guesses words alphabetically from what I can see, and doesn't remember or weight the word usage in any way. If I type in a longer word it usually gets it right after 4 or 5 letters, but smaller words that start with the 3rd or 4th letter on a key are never the default word, despite their more prevalent usage.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean but i will try to answer: at the start words are proposed in alphabetical order, but if you try to write "How are you" the next time you will have "how" "are" "you" as first choice.

@eitama
2. Switching to portrait mode doesn't always work (with auto-rotation)
Yes, i know. but unfortunately i cant find a solution and i did some tries
3. I press the letters, and nothing happen, They don't fill the textbox (entry)
Do you mean that the main function doesn't works? If yes try to open the option,switch to another language and then reselect yours
Hey!

1. Yes I was using the full English one, switched to lite and indeed everything works much better now.
2. The application is unusable in it's current condition imho, i'll explain :
- I'd like it to take me less time to send an sms using FastSMS then with the native Conversations interface that came with the N900, but the word selection of the dictionary is slowing me down.
An attempt to type : "Hey mate, what's up?" took me really long cause I had to rifle through the matches to find the words I wanted.
The most used and common words need to get priority over the rest - I know it's lots of dirty work, but you could try and gather statistics from the users, and upload them to some server, and then allow distributing those statistics with updates.
3. I am missing a newline key. (:

Cheers!
Eitam.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Hey!

1. Yes I was using the full English one, switched to lite and indeed everything works much better now.
2. The application is unusable in it's current condition imho, i'll explain :
- I'd like it to take me less time to send an sms using FastSMS then with the native Conversations interface that came with the N900, but the word selection of the dictionary is slowing me down.
An attempt to type : "Hey mate, what's up?" took me really long cause I had to rifle through the matches to find the words I wanted.
The most used and common words need to get priority over the rest - I know it's lots of dirty work, but you could try and gather statistics from the users, and upload them to some server, and then allow distributing those statistics with updates.
3. I am missing a newline key. (:

Cheers!
Eitam.
1-Good, however i will arrange memory usage in next release.
2-Your idea on statistics is really hard to implement: how send statistics? where? and overall: users maybe are not happy to know that someone know what they are writing!!! FastSMS is designed to learns more used words. After 10-20 perhaps 50 sms more commons words are on the top of the list
If you write "Hey mate, what's up?" in a second message all of these words are the first choice! However i think that the actual system is not the best: i have to think about it to understand how i can change it
I know that first run are not so comfortable but atm there are no others solution. If someone will use intensively the app and wants to send the dictionary file i will happy to analyze it and reorder words
3-Yes, you are right i will add asap

Last edited by realsportcars; 2010-06-15 at 16:03.

Originally Posted by cjard View Post
this is a really good opportunity to fix what has been broken with nokia T9 style texting on other phones for years.. my suggestions here will bring the best aspects from symbian T9 and sony ericsson texting (sony's system is better than symbian in many ways)
This feedback contains reference to <NEXT> and <PREV> as the key that moves to the next guess and the previous guess respectively

[...]

Gotta say tho, I've found very few bugs in the app and i'm impressed how well it handles things generally. It's looking good, and could realise all my dreams of things i've complained about with regard to symbian texting for years.. If you want any assstance with it, from a data file, gui or qt point of view (my qt isnt amazing, but I'm getting there with it - i'm a c# guy normally) then just ask - it would only be fair of me to offerto help implement my long wishlist here
Thank you for your post,really!
This evening i will read it quietly and i will answer...im at work atm :P

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
1-Good, however i will arrange memory usage in next release.
2-Your idea on statistics is really hard to implement: how send statistics? where? and overall: users maybe are not happy to know that someone know what they are writing!!! FastSMS is designed to learns more used words. After 10-20 perhaps 50 sms more commons words are on the top of the list
If you write "Hey mate, what's up?" in a second message all of these words are the first choice! However i think that the actual system is not the best: i have to think about it to understand how i can change it
I know that first run are not so comfortable but atm there are no others solution. If someone will use intensively the app and wants to send the dictionary file i will happy to analyze it and reorder words
3-Yes, you are right i will add asap
Thank you for taking my requests into consideration!
I understand what you mean about the privacy issues, indeed they exist - but you could put this as an option (default off) to report anonymously & manually, even more, keep a list on the phone of words that have been used with a counter per word,
then you go into the option, choose "Report usage" and a list with the words and checkboxes will appear, you can unselect the ones you don't like.

The reporting part is pretty easy, and HTTP post containing an XML body with a simple syntax like :
Code:
<root>
<word>
<name>hello</name> <count>5</count>
</word> <word>
<name>roommate</name> <count>5</count>
</word> <word>
<name>car</name> <count>7</count>
</word>
</root>
On the server side, you put PHP or ASP or Perl or C# and parse this, and automatically insert it into a dictionary.
I can help on the server side if you need - the only thing you need is a dedicated server (:

Another option :
You could also run a scan on the conversation history on 10 phones, and use that as a base statistics.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Thank you for taking my requests into consideration!
I understand what you mean about the privacy issues, indeed they exist - but you could put this as an option (default off) to report anonymously & manually, even more, keep a list on the phone of words that have been used with a counter per word,
then you go into the option, choose "Report usage" and a list with the words and checkboxes will appear, you can unselect the ones you don't like.

The reporting part is pretty easy, and HTTP post containing an XML body with a simple syntax like :
Code:
<root>
<word>
<name>hello</name> <count>5</count>
</word> <word>
<name>roommate</name> <count>5</count>
</word> <word>
<name>car</name> <count>7</count>
</word>
</root>
On the server side, you put PHP or ASP or Perl or C# and parse this, and automatically insert it into a dictionary.
I can help on the server side if you need - the only thing you need is a dedicated server (:

Another option :
You could also run a scan on the conversation history on 10 phones, and use that as a base statistics.
Really nice idea!i like it!
First of all i decided to change basical words order: atm for each word also subwords are listed (at start in alfabeticaly order). For example for "hello" you have "h","he","hel" and so on. I decided to put on the top complete words: so compositing "hello" you will have (probably): "i" "he" "gel" "hell" "hello". In this way abbreviation are at the end of the list from the first run. This can help a lot for spare words.

However i pull put also the option for send statistics: untill i have a dedicated server we can use simply an email with attached the dictionary file. If option is enabled a prompt appears each week and ask for sending it when a connection is available.
The big problem that i see is the "count": atm dictionary is loaded in memory and i have already problem about it. Today i thought about a possible solution and now im writing code to test it. If it works adding a count sholud not be a problem.

If you or someone others want write the function to send email (checking connection availability, date from last send,using QtMobility API,ecc) i will add it asap

PS scan conversation from 10 phones is more privacy-intrusive and i think that it cant give the same feedback as the previous idea!

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Why do you have to restart just to set the orientation? I implement the same kind of setting and it takes affect immediately. If you haven't already, take a look at QSettings. I just called a method after I changed the orientation setting which set the appropriate attribute accordingly.

Originally Posted by cjard View Post

here's the feedback:

Landascape spelling should be "Landscape"

If I enter a sequence of periods ........ then delete them all and enter just one period again . then the <NEXT> key doesnt change the guess.. It's stuck as a period?
Yes, i know that there are some bugs about symbols: the problem is that manage cursor is not easy when you insert a symbol. This is also the reason why button "1" is managed in a special way and this is also the reason that not allow to insert text like ":-)"

The dictionaries seem to contain some junk - i try to write the english word BE and i get CF CE CD - none of these are english words. If you'd like me to prune the dictionary files for you, just pass them along

It also doesnt seem to suggest in alphabetical order (i think i remember reading that it did) words that havent been used yet?
They are not junk but abbreviation of other words. But as i said in previous post i will change the memorization starting order

Program should suggest words with accented characters with lower priority than non accented.. e.g. i'm using english lite dict and I want to write "he", i press 43 and I get IE ID HÉ HF.. eventually HE comes around, but I wonder why the word order is that the accented char is first. Perhaps we should grab some long texts in english (like War and Peace or the bible) and break them into words, counting each word, and provide fastsms dictionary files with words already arranged in the order of most popular to least popular?
eheh,nice idea but i think that the dictionary can be very huge also for a pc. I hope that changing starting insertion order can help also about this

the word priority might frustrate the user:
if I write HE, the next time, it will write HE. If I write HE ten times, then write IF once, the next time it will suggest IF first.. i.e. it seems to work in a "most recently used" mode, not a "most often used" mode
Most often used mode is better - if you have MRU mode, users will get confused because the suggestions will always be jumping around.. Suppose they write HE ten times to every one time of IF, the user gets a "memory" in his fingers that HE is 43, and IF is 43<NEXT> but if youre always switching around the word order based on MRU, this logic doesnt hold and it will slow down the texting and frustrate the user
Also here,you are right. If im able to save memory i will add a count for the words.

I will not quote all your post or we have a really huge post

However im okay with you on (quite) all you wrote. When the application will be stable, with good dictionaries and without big bugs, i will implement a lot of your suggestions!

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Why do you have to restart just to set the orientation? I implement the same kind of setting and it takes affect immediately. If you haven't already, take a look at QSettings. I just called a method after I changed the orientation setting which set the appropriate attribute accordingly.
Primarily I do it in this way to try to manage AutoOrientation well, but it doesn't work anyway. And then i forgotten to move the function

However.....did you use (for example) this or there are others functions?
Code:
w.setAttribute(Qt::WA_Maemo5AutoOrientation, true);