Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany / Bochum
Has anyone considered prelinking ?
Will it make a noticeable performance difference for starting applications ?

Prelink: Normally the dynamic linker resolves library dependencies on the fly and maps the required libraries into memory. Prelinking computes these dependencies in advance and saves the results for later use.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by steckel View Post
Has anyone considered prelinking ?
Yes, including Nokia.
Originally Posted by steckel View Post
Will it make a noticeable performance difference for starting applications ?
Not much. But anyway firmware should already come prelinked.
Not much means that for GUI apps same trick is used as kdeinit does for KDE so prelinking is not that critical for speed. It saves some memory though.

prelink is also in maemo repository (both 2.x and 3.x) so you can apt-get it and prelink system including your apps

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Well I read today that SSU based tablets do not get the benefit of prelink. Debating whether to do a full flash on my tablet I started looking for prelink that I could run on an SSU based tablet. I found one for gregale but nothing for chinook or diablo. I'm guessing that the gregale version would work fine but I was wondering if anyone had tried it on a diablo based tablet.

I suppose if it doesn't work, I'll have to reflash thus solving the root problem.

Frank