Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I agree with peterleichen. Please keep the SIM connector as it is. Otherwise it won't be a direct replacement, will it?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Please keep SIM slot same as N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
well, then we can do: make it 7mm thicker
or at very least (when we can make miracles come true and cram all the needed chips into it somehow somewhere) you need to cut new hole into the metal of the battery bay, to move the mini-sim holder out of the way (will cost a few bucks when we at GolDeliCo do that for you. Probably only feasible with laser cutting, on a scale of a few hundred cases). See photo. [edit] I checked back with my metal and mech guys and been told laser cutting and even more likely CNC milling shouldn't be a huge problem neither for process not for expense.[/edit]
Or we kick out the main camera
or no GTM801 LTE-modem, only GTM601 3G (if that fits at all)

PS: Option801 comes with 2 SIM interfaces ;-) A (2nd) micro-SIM holder might fit into the place next to uSD holder, when we cut a hole into plastic and bin one speaker. Err nope, there's an antenna. So *maybe* a combi-holder for uSD and uSIM stacked somehow?
[edit] weird idea: we will probably need to increase the gap between kbd and screen half by at least 0.5mm anyway. This theoretically opens up some opportunity to place a SIM slot-in holder there, somewhere between volume rocker and NOKIA label[/edit]
[edit2] why are you so scared about micro-SIM? There are adapters that make a mini-SIM from a micro-SIM, only you mustn't use those adapters in slot-in holders. N900 has no slot-in holder[/edit2]

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-09 at 02:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
To those requiring a regular sim slot: Is there a problem with cutting down your sim to fit a micro-sim slot?

I did it to fit mine into the n9, and when I had to go back, I used the discarded push out bit from the newer sim cards that cost 99p from retailers. (They tend to come with a normal sim that you can push out the micro-sim for those phones that require one). In fact, if anyone needs a micro to normal sim adapter and can't get one, I could probably send some out for a donation to HiFo/HiFo staff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
> Is there a problem with cutting down your sim to fit a micro-sim slot?
yes. unless you will do this for me — for free, of course, and without mailing my SIM forth and back.

The Following User Says Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I agree with peterleichen. Please keep the SIM connector as it is. Otherwise it won't be a direct replacement, will it?
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Please keep SIM slot same as N900.
I'd also like to have SIM slot the same, but actually I think I prefer Neo900 with MicroSIM than no Neo900 at all

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Just took a quick look at the specs. Liked the InfraRed part. But really resistive touch has to be replaced with capacitive multi-point touch and the IPS display (ideally it should be HD). I strongly recommend including a dual SIM capability.

There's a whole lot of manufacturers offering Android phones at 150 - 200 EUR with IPS and multi-touch displays. I think a 100 - 200 EUR premium should be enough to cover for the sensors proposed for Neo900 and the lovely Maemo.

Willing to pre-order current specs phone for 250 EUR. But if the display is upgraded to HD / IPS with multi-point capacitive touch, I will be happy to buy at 350 EUR.

Willing to evangelize and canvas for fund raisers. Still mourning the death of my beloved N900.

Last edited by manishkochar; 2013-10-07 at 10:42.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by manishkochar View Post
.....There's a whole lot of manufacturers offering Android phones........
Go buy one then..
Looking forward to my Neo900 with resistive screen..@ €700

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I'd prefer a resistive screen, with an stick Nowadays there are also resistive screens with multitouch... but i heard that they doesn't work very well...

I would be better an OLED (Samsung) screen, it is more expensive than a TFT IPS (Apple, Jolla...) or TFT TN ("normal" ones, N900...), but it have better, perfect colors (specially dark ones), and less power consumption.

I would like to know about the cost of just the PCB, to upgrade my N900... ¿There is any estimation?

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
(though our primary target is to provide ready-to-run complete devices, we will also offer an option for you to buy the GTA04-NeoNinehundred board only, instead of the complete Neo900 device, to upgrade any N900 you already may have)
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
... but please please please, if you're interested - show it! We need to know how many people will want to buy one when it comes out. Low production runs are already pretty expensive, but if there are more people interested, it can get much cheaper.
I'd like to show my support and let you know that I will most likely buy THREE boards for the N900 cases I already have in my home. If the complete device is cheap enough I may consider buying a brand new device as well, because my current cases are all visibly old.

And thank you, thank you, thank you, a thousand thanks for this initiative! <3 I've had my N900 for 3-4 years by now and I really can't see myself using another smartphone. It's got everything I want except for performance, which the Neo900 will take care of.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nilli For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!