Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Hey,

Since I was a contributor to the Nokia N900 article I decided to put some meat on the Nokia N9 article. You are all more than welcome to read, suggest and contribute.

There is this part about "Harmattan not being MeeGo 1.2" that I would like some help with :

Strictly speaking, the Nokia N9 does not run MeeGo 1.2 as its operating system. It instead runs what Nokia refers to as a "MeeGo instance". During the development of Harmattan (previously marketed as Maemo 6), Nokia and Intel merged their open source projects into one new common project called MeeGo. Not to postpone the development schedule, Nokia decided to keep the "core" of Harmattan, such as middleware components (GStreamer) and packaging manager (Harmattan uses deb not RPM). Nonetheless, Harmattan is designed to be fully API compatibility with MeeGo 1.2 via Qt. As far as end users and application developers are concerned, the distinction between Harmattan and MeeGo 1.2 is minimal. Since all marketing effort would have been directed to "MeeGo", Nokia dropped the Maemo branding to adopt MeeGo as to not confuse customers.
I am sure there is technical aspects of this part that is not true. If somebody with good knowledge would like to correct it please do so.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post: