Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Community repo for the N9, if it ever materialises. So far there are talks of it being 'possible', not concrete specifics.
Seems like just adding another line to your /etc/apt/sources.list should make it easy to add non-Nokia packages.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
btw more pictures and preview done by cuhiep @ tinhte.vn

http://www.tinhte.vn/communicasia-no...crosim-738686/

and in vietnamese of course.

Last edited by Kozzi; 2011-06-21 at 09:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
About your list, though. Can you please tell me why the no front-facing buttons thing is being advertised as something new and cool? (the N900 doesn't have them either...)?

Because the only reason I can think of, is that the iPhone DOES have a button on the screen. And judging by availability markets for the N9, I can't help but conclude there was only one thing Nokia was thinking about when designing this phone: the iPhone 4. And global markets where the iPhone hasn't taken the biggest share of smartphones yet.
I frankly don't see what you are getting it. I believe the N900 is the only other major smartphone without front facing buttons, but the N9 makes it a lot more powerful with the swipe gesture (as the N900 basically just forces applications to provide the button themselves, and you get stuck if they don't). Not having this button is cool, because it means more screen in the usable area of the phone. Of course you could cramp buttons in the small area below the screen, but that's not ergonomic in the least.

I believe that the swipe beats all current solutions in terms of ergonomics.

And I highly doubt your list could go on and on....
I said it could go on, not "on and on". There are things I don't know or can't think of which the N9 does better, and then there are smaller innovative details which you will learn to appreciate if you use the phone for a while (e.g. how to unlock the phone).

I just didn't want an iPhone replacement, but an N900 replacement. And if Nokia is about to abandon this ecosystem (you know it will), I don't know why they didn't do it the N900 way. Sorry.
You know the back-story of the N9, it was meant to be Nokia's primary smartphone contender. You will have to forget about the N900 to truly appreciate it.

If it's not for you, then I'm sorry about that and you will have to move on. But I believe that most people will find the N9 a very enjoyable phone to use, and this time this includes all the demographics.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
hey have you noticed the curved gorrila glass in the pdf spec sheet

Originally Posted by nikrohr View Post

fist pic of a black dev 950 device....
Where's the buy now button?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
This really does look like an awesome phone for someone who prefers portrait mode and no physical keyboard.

But an N900 successor/replacement it is not. For almost the last 8 years, my *Nokia* phones have been landscape (more or less) + physical keyboard phones... the 6820, 9300i, and N900.

The "developer" phone really does look like the true successor to the N900... and it would be a real shame (and dumb) if Nokia actually has decent stock of it and won't sell it to their devoted enthusiasts. If they don't ever sell it, then I just hope the next Meego phone will succeed the N900 before my N900 dies.... or else I'll be forced to look elsewhere for a replacement.

Again... the N9 does look great, but it is totally not a phone for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to morbid For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
time to buy a second n900
already did that

but I want a Dali too

This phone targets the same demographic of the iphone (pretty UI and easy to use !) without all of Apple's ecosystem muscle behind it. (Trying to out Apple Apple).

Add to that Nokia has declared WP is its priority, Meego is a side project AT BEST. You are not going to get commercial devs to buy in to this when the vendor is not supporting it 100%.

What do you think is going to happen ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
a few questions
does it sport a memory expansion slot
how do you think that the webkit browser will be compared with the n900 geckobased browser

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
I frankly don't see what you are getting it. I believe the N900 is the only other major smartphone without front facing buttons, but the N9 makes it a lot more powerful with the swipe gesture (as the N900 basically just forces applications to provide the button themselves, and you get stuck if they don't). Not having this button is cool, because it means more screen in the usable area of the phone. Of course you could cramp buttons in the small area below the screen, but that's not ergonomic in the least.

I believe that the swipe beats all current solutions in terms of ergonomics.

I said it could go on, not "on and on". There are things I don't know or can't think of which the N9 does better, and then there are smaller innovative details which you will learn to appreciate if you use the phone for a while (e.g. how to unlock the phone).

You know the back-story of the N9, it was meant to be Nokia's primary smartphone contender. You will have to forget about the N900 to truly appreciate it.

If it's not for you, then I'm sorry about that and you will have to move on. But I believe that most people will find the N9 a very enjoyable phone to use, and this time this includes all the demographics.
Lets calm down about the swiping gesture. It's fine and all but it is in no way more superior to Maemo's desktop full of icons and the multitasking grid of apps, and the list of available apps. The Fremantle experience was a pure powerful desktop experience that was very touch friendly and efficient. Swiping through windows and at times not knowing where you are swiping to is more hap-hazard then the way it is on the N900. Even the way it left notifications was superior and intuitive.

I am sure most on this board would agree as well.

Also what buttons does the N900 force you to have? A task switcher? A close button? They are just as important and necessary as well. Freeing up real estate for the screen is the tradeoff the N900 Maemo experience makes to getting things done quickly as well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland