Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
T-Mobile announced some pretty awesome prepaid plans today.

Direct Link: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Currently, I'm paying $70/mo for unlimited data + SMS / 500min talk (with no annual contract) so this is pretty much a steal (assuming I can keep my IPv6 Beta).

Anyway, with these new plans, I'll probably be off to find a 'phone' to complement my N900. Carrying around two devices is going to be kinda silly, but it's going to have to do for the time being.

My thought is to use the N900 for applications like X-Terminal, NX (via snx) over OpenVPN, while the "phone" for SMS / E-Mail / Phone Calls / Pictures.

Not decided what "phone" I would be getting, because I'm not really drawn to any of the devices in the current android lineup.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Earth
I'm lookin at the $30/mo "Data Only" plan.

4G speeds (5GB worth, I believe) for $30/mo with unlimited calls/text using The One Ring is looking like a pretty sweet deal.

I don't see why you need multiple devices?

I plan on having the SIM Card activation kit delivered to me, and then using the aforementioned plan for unlimited everything.

Now that Google Voice is rolling out MMS support, there's even more value in this.

theres a catch with this plan though, ive read somewhere that you have to load 30$ every month and never be late and if you did you'll go back to pay as you go and theres no way to get this plan back, you have to buy a new sim again.

im a prepaid customer t-mobile usa this plan is not available on web2go as an option.

Last edited by Changegames; 2011-10-19 at 06:13.

Originally Posted by Changegames View Post
theres a catch with this plan though, ive read somewhere that you have to load 30$ every month and never be late and if you did you'll go back to pay as you go and theres no way to get this plan back, you have to buy a new sim again.

im a prepaid customer t-mobile usa this plan is not available on web2go as an option.
I'm pretty sure EasyPay would solve the billing problem.

Originally Posted by MTCONE View Post
I don't see why you need multiple devices?
Sadly, the Nokia N900's battery life and performance issues when doing tasks like taking pictures and uploading them quickly and browsing content heavy websites are becoming growing issues, and there is no "fix" for these issues without newer hardware.

Sometimes when I need my N900 the most, it doesn't want to cooperate. (eg: taking a picture with no other programs running), or things that "always" work stop working: like cellular connectivity -- though rebooting always brings it back. Sometimes I end up with about 120MB of ram used, and 180MB of swap and major UI lag with no programs open. browserd and modest usually end up being the suspects, and killing them "fixes" the issue for a short while until they get automatically spawned again. I've spent plenty of time optimizing my N900 -- and a reboot usually fixes any residing issues, but I think it's time I devote the time I spend fixing problems like this to working on my other projects.

On the other side of things, moving away from the N900 isn't possible, I can't get away from using NX and other X11 programs on a handheld. The device is still fantastic - the UI makes people "wow" 2 years after it was released. Not to mention that the implementation of multitasking is astounding, wireless and cellular data work quickly, the keyboard is a must, and the camera takes great pictures.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Earth
Hmmm, still haven't pulled the trigger on this. Been using free calls over wifi with The One Ring. But for $30, 5GB of data could be useful on the go. Esp if I can tether my netbook.