Why?! My Apple wireless keyboard is a joy to use, but practically every time it connects or disconnects, it resets my panels and applets to default, and messes up the sound (if I have earphones in when I connect the keyboard, it thinks earphones are always in, and vice versa.). It's really annoying having to keep rebooting my tablet every time I want to stop using the keyboard, anyone got any suggestions? Or has anyone else experienced this?

It does happen to other people, many more than just me. It's not really a problem though because it's easy to avoid. (at least for the iGo 4 row keyboard, anyway).

It only happens to me when I type multiple keys while the bluetooth keyboard is 'sleeping.' Make sure that when it's sleeping, that you hit only one key to wake it up, that should avoid this problem.

I get the same troubles with the panel and applet; however you don't need to reset the panels, just go into the panels window and then out of it, then it will return to where it was originally. Applets I always have to reset. Never had the trouble with the sound though.

Joe

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-03 at 13:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
It's different with the Apple one, you have to hit the power button to revive it once it goes to sleep after half an hour. But it seems to be happened nearly every time I switch it on/off, it's getting pretty annoying...

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
if you do manage to avoid a reboot but don't get the on-screen keyboard back, enter this in xterm:

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
I noticed you said you had to reboot after this happens, I've never had a necessity to reboot so your situation might be different than mine, and perhaps someone else would better answer your question. (Are you sure you need to reboot?)

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
if you do manage to avoid a reboot but don't get the on-screen keyboard back, enter this in xterm:

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false

And it is a good idea to alias that command, so that you only have to type two or so characters in order to enter it, e.g., I have mine set to 'gc' so all I have to do is type 'gc' and then enter instead of that entire line.

Put "alias in linux" into google, or something like that. It's very simple, easy to understand and do.

Joe.

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-05-03 at 19:49.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
or, if you use xterm rarely, maybe just for this purpose, just open xterm and hit up on your dpad to scroll through recently entered commands. OR, have a "nit commands" file handy in brentdc's quickclip app.

Thanks for that command, just added it to the status bar graph. Also, I have to reboot to fix the sound, otherwise I'm stuck with either earphones or speaker. I'm thinking that maybe it thinks the keyboard is a bluetooth headset too...

Tags
apple, bluetooth, keyboard, n800, sound