So basically no one has convince me that N900 is more powerful?? I don't care about open sources, i am not a developer. All I care are these:

A powerful processor
Powerful cam recorder
Multi-tasks
A browser that act like real desktop (i think Droid can do that).
Free turn by turn NAV (BIG PLUS)

There are even more little things that seems to make Droid better for example:
being thinner
capacitive touch
portrait and landscape mode all the time
Verizon (3G everywhere) - i have Verizon

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I should have been clearer. I know that maemo.org developers are coding late into the night on all sorts of truly impressive projects. What I meant to say was that I hope Nokia adopts an FM radio app as a standard part of the software suite when they come out with their Xmas 2009 software update (assuming that is still on track).
There's a reason (several, actually) we generally prefer community-provided software to bundled software.

I would think that out of the box it'll do more than just A2DP but I could be wrong. I would also guess that it doesn't support every Bluetooth profile except the DUN, HID, and PAN cited in the wiki. In any case it's not something I want to program, it' s something I want to buy.
You have a strange definition of programming.

If the out-of-the-box experience is all that matters to you then you probably don't want Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Then it's close to crap. I'd much rather buy a Viliv S5 or UMID M1 as a pocketable computer.
I take it you're not much of a N8x0 fan, right ? Seriously, going to meetings with cargo pants and a keyboardless windows UMPC ? I mean, the Viliv S5 is HUGE next to a N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
So basically no one has convince me that N900 is more powerful?? I don't care about open sources, i am not a developer. All I care are these:

A powerful processor
Powerful cam recorder
Multi-tasks
A browser that act like real desktop (i think Droid can do that).
Free turn by turn NAV (BIG PLUS)

There are even more little things that seems to make Droid better for example:
being thinner
capacitive touch
portrait and landscape mode all the time
Verizon (3G everywhere) - i have Verizon
  • While the processor in the N900 is the same as the Droid, the way Maemo is designed, you will multi-task better, faster, with more applications and without running out of memory.
  • Dunno about the cam recorder.
  • Do you know Firefox, that awesome browser? Its core powers the Maemo browser in the N900, AND you will also have Fennec (Firefox mobile edition) and hopefully Tear (which uses the same engine as Safari, Webkit).
  • Dunno about nav.
  • The touch screen of the N900 is so sensible people usually don't distinguish it from capacitive, and the user interface is designed so you don't need multi-touch to work.
  • More portrait is coming soon.
  • Dunno about Verizon.

In short, Maemo is way more akin to a desktop - and you will be using it longer than the Droid, in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
None of these devices offer you reasonable one-device pocketability or usable battery life, however. I'm all about To Each His Own, but this just isn't a usable solution for normal people.
Who said I was normal. Normal people don't understand the utility of a pocketable computer. They still lug around big heavy netbooks and bigger heavier laptops. I can give a PowerPoint (honest, I've tried to convince our IT staff to move to Impress, unsuccessfully so far) presentation from my OQO while using it's active digitizer to draw on the slides as they are projected, while editing the slides in real time, while adding notes with the keyboard or the handwriting recognition, and then email it to the meeting participants so it will be waiting at their desks when they get back to them, slip my OQO back into my pocket, and return to my cube to recharge. You are right, battery life is the bane of computing power. With 3G on I get a couple of hour per battery so two batteries last me through all but the longest meetings.

Have you ever used a Maemo device? Have you used an N900?
I use my N810 every day and love it. I've never seen an N900 and I will have gadget lust until I actually get to hold one.

To be honest, beyond wanting to have one, I'm looking for the N900 not to fulfill the requirements of pocketable computing but to spur interest in pocketable computing. My OQO was a couple of years too early in terms of hardware and they are now bankrupt, at least in part, because of it. I'm hoping the N900 will bring development dollars into this market niche.

MIPS per mAh continue to go up and battery technology continues to improve. Screen technology is also improving. It won't be long before my ideal device is possible - and I hope it's called the N1000.

The screen should be about the size of a 3x5" card with a minimal bezel. The other dimensions could be taken from my N810 - about a half inch thick and around 8 ounces. Inside I want the equivalent of a 1.5 GHz Intel Atom (although 2 GHz would be nicer) and I want it to be x86 compatible. I want a second processor to handle telephony. I want to run an x86 OS (whatever animal Ubuntu is up to) and a telephony OS (Maemo 6?) in parallel with the ability to switch off the x86 OS and CPU while the telephony OS and TPU remain in standby to handle incoming calls. Slap on 2GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD (shared by both processors) and I'll be happy.

Make it happen.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I take it you're not much of a N8x0 fan, right ? Seriously, going to meetings with cargo pants and a keyboardless windows UMPC ? I mean, the Viliv S5 is HUGE next to a N900.
Actually I love my N810. The farthest it ever gets from me is my bedside table to charge. If I'm awake, it's with me. I use it primarily as a PDA (with the GPE suite), a note taker (Xournal), and a casual browser. Okay, you got me, also games (AisleRiot, EightyOne, Xword).

As far as the S5, it will fit in a normal pants pocket and it will slip into the inner pocket of a suit jacket. It's huge because it packs hardware that dwarfs the N900. The true criticism is that of General Antilles - it sucks batteries dry.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Houston
The screen should be about the size of a 3x5" card with a minimal bezel. The other dimensions could be taken from my N810 - about a half inch thick and around 8 ounces. Inside I want the equivalent of a 1.5 GHz Intel Atom (although 2 GHz would be nicer) and I want it to be x86 compatible. I want a second processor to handle telephony. I want to run an x86 OS (whatever animal Ubuntu is up to) and a telephony OS (Maemo 6?) in parallel with the ability to switch off the x86 OS and CPU while the telephony OS and TPU remain in standby to handle incoming calls. Slap on 2GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD (shared by both processors) and I'll be happy.

Make it happen.
its' battery will either be inept or twice the size of the device you just mocked up...

Originally Posted by God View Post
Saying that an operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

Maemo remains discreet to the public atm, but will become BIG.
However, more people using the inferior tech can very well drive the better, less used tech to extinction. Like the VHS and Betamax.

You have a strange definition of programming.
I may. I still think real programmers use punched cards. Wusses use punched paper tape. Anything else isn't real programming.

In any case, I'm long past my programming days.

If the out-of-the-box experience is all that matters to you then you probably don't want Maemo.
Actually, I do want Maemo and the N900. But I'd still like to know what I get out of the box. The only Bluetooth profile that Nokia implies is supported is A2DP. I know from the wiki that HID and PAN are installed but disabled and that there is a daemon for DUN.

But does the N900 support HFP, HSP, AVRCP, PBAP, and OPP for video/still images which (along with A2DB) is what the Droid supports? Does it support any that the Droid does not (I wouldn't mind having BPP)?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I want it to be x86 compatible. I want a second processor to handle telephony. I want to run an x86 OS (whatever animal Ubuntu is up to)
Why on Earth would you want an x86 processor in a mobile device and then run Linux on it (Ubuntu of all things, which even has an ARM port) ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: