Active Topics

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I like how some people are blaming this on a resistive screen but I have a similar issue on my iPod Touch. The screen is loose (as they are just glued on the iPod, its the only way to fasten a glass touchscreen) on the bottom right and actually quite sharp.

So overall, resistive is better again as you can attach it more firmly. I also like how you have to put a bit of force behind and AND it copes well after the first 5 minutes when you got greasy fingerprints all over it. Capacitive on the other hand stops responding once it gets grease on it as it can no long detect your fingers. I lost count how often I got fed up with the iPod Touch because its either too sensitive (picks up presses where I am just trying to hold the damn thing) or not responding at all.

So please stop with this "resistive is bad" BS. In reality, resistive is far more responsive to REAL touches and it allows me to choose to use the web browser without zooming, as I can click on those tiny links. Or, I can choose to use my fingers. You have no choice at all with capacitive.

As for clicking, mine does it if you press the middle of the screen, depending on how hard you press. Its nothing to worry about, its just because its plastic and so flexes a little, naturally the most in the middle.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
It seems to me that with a closed device, there is a little give in the bottom half of the screen. If you hold the device up so you can see through the gap between the top and bottom parts of the slider mechanism, you can see that there is structure in there in the top half but none in the bottom.

With the slider open, there is practically no give.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

I have to say you guys are right. I've got the "click" too, it's more of a clickish squeak but as repeated above. Only when the screen is closed. For me it's in the bottom right corner.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
I discovered this problem yesterday so i decided to do some search on google which brought me to this thread. has anyone figured a way to fix this annoyance? Not that it helps much but knowing am not the only one with this problem is kind of a relief as there say misery loves company

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
Another issue with the screen of n900 is that i find it to be more unresponsive along the edges of the screen especially in the corners. you have to press the screen a tad harder

I have the click too, i just think its the top layer loosening up as you use it, if you try and look at reflections in the n900s screen and press down, you should see flex (Or the image distorting slightly, the reflection this is.)

Sometimes i have the click up and others i don't, but i dont mind it.

Mine's clicking too, after about 2 months of use it started today. It's from the middle down to the bottom of the screen. Very irritating, especially when thinking of the 22 months contract period to come! Ah, and yes I have always treated it gently let alone dropping, squashing freezing or whatever.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Is this issue enough to send the N900 back for a replacement or repairs?

My Blog

Good question. Unfortunately mine does it only intermittently and it can therefore not always be replicated. It's clearly not right, especially because it doesn't occur evenly on the screen. It seems it has something to do with temperature but I couldn't say whether it's high or low temps! I feel my device being heavily devalued by this.

Mine just started doing the same "click" today, in the bottom-left side of the screen which is where (surprise, surprise) i keep most of my shortcut icons. This is after just over one month of use, device never dropped. From what I understand it might well be a problem that could be fixed by tightening the screws in the back of the screen, except I wouldn't want to break it by mistake. Did any of you send the N900 for repair based on this problem?