Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Waynder View Post
really?

please do inform me about some... cuz i cant find another app that allows me to have group chats, shareing location or files within those group chats, ALL IN ONE interface, thats available on android, symbian, iOS, so i can use it with ALL people that i got in my phonebook... its sure not pleasent to ask 6-7 people that i have in that group to have other apps active, just because im not able to do those stuff with in one...

so far i was only able to make group chat using skype, IF starting a group on my PC app...
LINE is another good alternative. It has group chats (more than 10ppl max by whatsapp), sharing locations and media files PLUS voice call over network like skype, ALL IN ONE interface. It's available for android and iOS (don't think symbian gets LINE). And it is free, totally FREE.

LINE also have PC version. It offers browser version for tablet and iPad as well. I tried to use it from browser (only Firefox with iPad agent works) in N9 but it's too buggy it's not use-able.

Honestly I hope LINE could be ported to N9 account system.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bnwg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Do you even have an N9?
Skype is integrated in to the accounts system, comes with the phone, is always on with push messaging (so doesn't drain battery much). And yes, when a push message is received, it notifies you just like a normal SMS (in fact I believe it's the same app).

i have only n900, but skype didnt alert me of new skype message coming

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Spot bros ( http://www.spotbros.com ) (web in spanish) is better than whatsapp (better privacy and more functions) but is in beta and only for android and iOS. Other platforms and computer are planed.

i think i betr buy an android phone..
as i think whatsapp will come in ages for n900 or may be not !

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by nokix View Post
Jerex,

From what I understand you run WhatsApp on an Android emulator on a PC? How do you manage to get the SIM/phone no. to work on the emulator?

Hi nokix,

Really sorry for the late reply, haven't been on TMO recently.

To answer your question, I'm not using an emulator per se, but a build of Android converted for x86 processors. The project's site is www.android-x86.org and I believe it has some official support from Google. I used the stable release of 2.2 Froyo (newer builds are still beta or release candidates).

The PC I'm using is actually a small VAIO P mini laptop (netbook) running Windows 7. I first installed Oracle's VirtualBox software (it's free) before running the Android x86 ISO build within VirtualBox and creating a Virtual Hard Disk partition to install the files directly.

As you know, WhatsApp is very particular about the SIM/Phone No. etc. It won't even let you install if it detects your device doesn't have a SIM/3G module (hence it not being available for tablets). To get around this, I found that a combination of an older version of WA (v2.6.7722), installed on the official Android SDK could get around this.

Once installed you just needed to select the 'activate by phone' option, enter your phone number and WhatsApp would place an automated call to give you the activation code which you proceed to enter into the app and that's it!

WA then actually works within the Android SDK, but since it's slow as hell, I used Titanium Backup Pro to backup the app and restore it on my Android x86 build which is much much faster.

Lastly, using VNC (and OpenSSH for security), I leave my PC running Android x86 on at home and access it from my N900 to use WhatsApp. As I said before, it is by no means perfect (a bit slow and unwieldy to control) but it does work and I've been using it successfully since January.

Hope this is clear for all those who are curious about an alternative solution and apologies in advance for the long, off-topic post in this development thread.

My continued best wishes to tgalal and others for their porting project! And a further appeal for everyone to be patient and calm. If you really can't wait, instead of whining on TMO why not use your energy and try the remote alternative I've described above?

Last edited by Jerex; 2012-04-17 at 09:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jerex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jerex View Post
Hi nokix,

Really sorry for the late reply, haven't been on TMO recently.

To answer your question, I'm not using an emulator per se, but a build of Android converted for x86 processors. The project's site is www.android-x86.org and I believe it has some official support from Google. I used the stable release of 2.2 Froyo (newer builds are still beta or release candidates).

The PC I'm using is actually a small VAIO P mini laptop (netbook) running Windows 7. I first installed Oracle's VirtualBox software (it's free) before running the Android x86 ISO build within VirtualBox and creating a Virtual Hard Disk partition to install the files directly.

As you know, WhatsApp is very particular about the SIM/Phone No. etc. It won't even let you install if it detects your device doesn't have a SIM/3G module (hence it not being available for tablets). To get around this, I found that a combination of an older version of WA (v2.6.7722), installed on the official Android SDK could get around this.

Once installed you just needed to select the 'activate by phone' option, enter your phone number and WhatsApp would place an automated call to give you the activation code which you proceed to enter into the app and that's it!

WA then actually works within the Android SDK, but since it's slow as hell, I used Titanium Backup Pro to backup the app and restore it on my Android x86 build which is much much faster.

Lastly, using VNC (and OpenSSH for security), I leave my PC running Android x86 on at home and access it from my N900 to use WhatsApp. As I said before, it is by no means perfect (a bit slow and unwieldy to control) but it does work and I've been using it successfully since January.

Hope this is clear for all those who are curious about an alternative solution and apologies in advance for the long, off-topic post in this development thread.

My continued best wishes to tgalal and others for their porting project! And a further appeal for everyone to be patient and calm. If you really can't wait, instead of whining on TMO why not use your energy and try the remote alternative I've described above?
This is VERY similar to how I run android apps except I encode the stream using VLC to h.264 and send it through the network to a little program I have written that send the input as mouseclicks back to the computer... this is currently the most hassle-less way I know of running android apps on maemo (hassle-less, not best, I know you can dual-boot and whatnot but having to dualboot to run a simple app and go back... not really)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
You do WHAT? This whole mess just for running... Android apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Trinidad
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
i have only n900, but skype didnt alert me of new skype message coming
All you need to do, is enable skype in your accounts. It will run in the background and alert you once a message is received

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ maemo
Originally Posted by G.One View Post
i think i betr buy an android phone..
as i think whatsapp will come in ages for n900 or may be not !
buy android just for whatsapp this is insane

n900 great with or w/o whatsapp

Last edited by ravent-n900; 2012-04-17 at 16:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to ravent-n900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
You do WHAT? This whole mess just for running... Android apps?
Yes, when I got the phone I wanted to try wierd stuff, qemu+wine which is pretty useless :P or any other wierd software patchy thing that ran and this is the way I ran android before I heard about nitdroid which I still have not installed hehe

Closed Thread

Tags
galal-t is da, kindergarten, mastar, new tmo low, shameful, tmo not cake, trollfest, whiny_girls