Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by mikegioia View Post
Just out of curiousity, why would you want to? The Neo900 means something different to everyone, but one thing I sort of assumed was its complete and utter detachment from the iOS/Android universe.

I'm just wondering, what use case do you have for running an Android app on the Neo900 that couldn't be serviced by just buying a cheaper droid device?
My answer is largely off-topic, please forgive me. It's just to answer you, but let me be clear that this is not a complaint about whether the Neo900 can or cannot run Android stuff!

I don't like Android either (and let me please avoid talking about iOS ). I am almost a hater, to be honest. I have had a N900, a N9 and now a Jolla, but I have tried Android. I always thought I could survive without anything running on Android, and I still think so.

However, now that I have tried Alien Dalvik on Sailfish OS, I am forced to admit that, even if this is not mandatory, sometimes, it's better to have an application developped for Android than no applications at all. I am clearly on the side of those who will develop native applications, and they have done a great job on the TMO-friendly OSes (particularly Maemo 5, I'd say the number of applications is still greater for this OS than for its successors, and they tend to be more advanced, maybe because the OS is more open?), but there are applications that will just never be ported. It's a shame. Accepting that fact by running the Android versions sounds like a surrender, it's true, but sometimes you have to think about what you want from an application: encourage people who would perhaps port it someday (but most probably never because the application is for a niche), or just use it in its Android version because you actually need it, not just hope using it someday.

None of the applications I have in mind are life or death questions, but there are instances that I know will never be ported to something else than Android and iOS. For instance, I have one application that I need for calibrating a motorized tripod mount on Polaris, when I do some skywatching/astrophotography. I just can't calibrate the tripod head without the Android (or iOS) application. I'd survive, but I'd just have to drop that hobby, so I prefer running the Android application (which is by the way quite simple and used only punctually, so I don't really mind the Androidness of it).

I also have a PNJCam, which is a GoPro-like camera. There's an application for communicating with it, set up parameters, transfer video files, and even have live preview. I don't think the manufacturer will ever bother porting the application to any other OS than Android and iOS. That's a shame. I have the camera, and it works on its own too, but it would be a shame too to just pass on half its features.

I also have two professional applications that only exist for Android (and one of them for iOS too). I know for sure the guys who developped them will never port them. They probably don't know Maemo 5 or its successors anyway. But the problem is I need these applications, and if I can have them on my primary phone, well that's way easier.

Buying a cheaper device would of course work (though it has to be a recent enough Android version, as we now that only latest Android phones will be supported by latest OS versions, which is by the way a really unbelievable marketing strategy). But the point is that I prefer having only one device, and even if my prime use is not for Android applications, it would be a significant plus if the same phone could run those applications. This is what I discovered with the Jolla, though I thought until that point that Android support was a gadget because "Maemo 5 and Meego already had everything I needed". I would not buy a second phone just for Android apps, but if I can run them on my primary phone, that's a significant plus. And it won't keep me from prefering native apps.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2015-05-20 at 10:08.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer Joerg_rw!

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Wow, a lot of good questions :-) Here we go...

VERY simply put:
LTE aka 4G (PLS8) is faster on data but very poor on roaming. Select your local variant for either Europe or USA. Other regions please see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93095 and my post a few above.
UMTS aka 3G (PHS8) is still fast enough for me (YMMV) and should work almost worldwide.
PXS8 is a PHS8 that also supports CDMA2000 data (as I understand it). We can't test that modem here since we have no CDMA networks in whole Europe. Unlike Endsormeans suggested, availability of the PXS8 is not really a question, we have very good contacts to Gemalto.
Price for the LTE variants is probably a 20..50 bucks higher than UMTS
So I guess I should pick the LTE Europe version. I didn't know the translations for dummies were "4G" for LTE and "3G" for UMTS. What is CDMA exactly? Wikipedia says it's only for the USA.

Sorry no promises on that one, like every other company's policy too. We hope for that date, but we got no crystal ball. All known main barriers are eliminated and thus we went to open up the preorder shop. That's the whole story. Now I hope I we can continue doing what we're great in: electrical engineering - instead of struggling blindly through Prestashop parameter-jungle :-)
I totally understand your point, but thanks for your honest answer. That's already something if you say that all known barriers have been eliminated.

Yes, but that's actually a question answered a zillion times, please use "search in thread" tool of the forum.
That is what I thought, just wanted to be sure because I was already asking a zillion questions, so I figured "why not one more?"

Maemo5 compatibility is a core feature with impact to complete design of Neo900, it never will get dropped. I dunno if it ever was in FAQ, but for sure should be there. Thanks for bringing it up.
Great! That's a relief.

In German it's "Anzahlung", basically it's a partial payment to the final invoice amount. You have a contract for a device and you will receive a final invoice when the device is ready to ship, for the missing difference between what you already paid and what the device will sell for.
So yes, your case #1 is correct.
OK!

The voucher basically never expires. However I plan to order N900 for all those who ordered a Neo900_complete_device in a maybe 6 weeks from now, and it's completely unclear if orders coming in after that purchase of N900 will have a chance to get satisfied. Same story for other risk parts basically. For the N900 odds are I can't do a second order later on. But for sure I will try. So there's no hard deadline but several steps where your chances to actually succeed with your order will diminish. I can try to get more N900 (or whatever risk part) til the very point where we start production (and beyond, for a second batch), but odds are that it turns out we need to refund you completely (and partially in already purchased components) after first batch of devices got built and we can't build a second one for whatever reasons. It's a really complicated calculation what can get done and what has to happen when and whether or not it can get done once more. Right now is the sweet spot where all sourcing obstacles are solvable when we tackle them now. Thus the preorder Down Payment. Order now and you're in for sure
Thanks for the clarification! I still have to think about it though. Again, it's twice the price I was willing to spend on the Neo900 (though I understand how much work it represents, and that you can't control currency changes). I really want one, but on the other hand I am afraid of getting an incredible device, unique, open, reliable, and to which I'm totally hyped, but that would maybe not be as useable as a more mainstream one. Just have to think about it, 990 is something, psychologically, and it's just the board (with UMTS modem).

Is it possible to pay more for the down payment in order to pay less later when it's time to complete the order? What happens if I put 500€ in down payment for just the board, and the project is abandonned? I know you said that backers would be refunded based on the unspent money, but would my refund be based on the 350€ amount (value for board down payment in the shop), or the 500€ amount actually paid?

I know there's NitDroid and Replicant. No idea about VMs or whatever to run apps for android inder Debian
Thanks. That would be something already, though I have not followed NitDroid since a long time. I don't know what works/what doesn't on the N900 currently. I'll have a look at it. I guess that with the increased storage and RAM on the Neo900, having multiboots would be easier than on the N900. On the N900, I always ended up removing NitDroid because I needed space.

When you say Debian, which version would it be? Would it be a normal desktop version? The stylus would be supported like a mouse, just like in EasyDebian? Would it be full support? I remember that not everything could work in EasyDebian.

Thanks again for your time Joerg_rw, and keep up the great work on this awesome project.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2015-05-20 at 10:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Will the wifi module support monitor mode and packet injection?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
the module uses same chipset as N9 which is basically the evolution of the chipset in N900. So I'd say yes it does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Hmm, It is kind of working on the N9 chipset...still very buggy

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91637&page=8

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Jersey
I think Slashdot and similar sites are crippling the shop!

The Following User Says Thank You to l_bratch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I admit the write-up could have been better...it's a pretty bare 2 paragraphs...
more explanatory... would be better...
But how are they exactly crippling the shop though?
I mean...I'm having no problem getting into the shop..
or do you mean "crippling the shop" in some other meaning?
Considering currently at this moment we have 72 people on this thread alone...btw just a sec.

Hi everybody! [me waving] ...
for those new people ..
I'd suggest starting to read at the beginning...
254 pages back..
if you wish to play catch-up and read the book..
" The Epic Saga of the Neo900" ...
sorry I don't have Cole's notes for it.
Ask any questions and someone will point you to the answers you need.
and if you need to ask.."what's all the commotion? what's the big deal?"...
well..the neo IS the big deal
get enlightened.

ok ...back to the "crippling" thing...
I did find it a bit slow to connect to the shop than say..yesterday...
I'm guessin' the shop is gettin' alot of traffic at the moment..
which is good.
Is that what you mean by "crippling the shop" ? ...the lag to connect and get into it at the moment?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-05-21 at 16:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by l_bratch View Post
I think Slashdot and similar sites are crippling the shop!
yes, and now tmo does as well ;-P
We might have to take the shop down. sorry, we are not prepared to this

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Hhahahaahaha....
This is great!!!!
Forget Kim Kardashian crashing the web!

[me chanting] Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo
where's Belushi when you need him?
ahhh...there we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Mk7idVfcA

Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I used to love my N900, then I had a USB problem which unfortunately got to the point where it was beyond repair.

I see there are some used N900 for around $200.
I would totally buy the used $200 phone + $300 Neo board.

Going over $500 is a bit of a stretch on my budget.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dima202 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!