Wow. Look at the tags now, shockgiga. omfg. TMO is self aware.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
i was just wondering why do the tags say:
1man troll army, fanboy denial, its true, n9 is a myth, nokia8myhamster, pint of bitter, troll haven

do these get generated automatically based on comments? if not, who makes them?
Posters add them by clicking "Edit Tag".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
there are more than one thing that dual core ARM doing better than single core.
* 1080p encoding and decoding without consuming all the cpu cycles
Task for the DSP (encoding) and GPU (decoding).

* Multitasking will be smooth and less time to do tasks
Possibly. However, is the CPU the bottleneck? In most cases my N900 is slow, it is due to IO wait, not actual CPU utilisation.

* gaming will be on a different level
Mostly a task for GPU

* smoother GUI transitions
Task for GPU

* better batter usage (in theory, two horses can climb steeper hill than one horse)
But, two horses need twice the food and water than one.

DSLR has the optical capability but mbile is fixed lense.
It's not only the lens optics, the sensor size has a huge impact on SNR.

Comparing Qualcomm to Cortex is like AMD to Intel.
No, it's like comparing AMD to x86. One is a subset of the other. Maybe you mean Qualcomm Snapdragon to TI OMAP?

if N9 doesn't have atleast dual core A9 + 1GB RAM then I don't think Nokia will ever compete in the fast growing mobile era.
A single-core, with higher clock speed then N900, with 512MB or 768MB would probably be enough, depending on the GPU (see some of the tweets about polygon rendering speed of N9, it is comparable to lower-end gaming devices). I doubt many users will see benefit of 1GB over 768MB on a mobile phone.

Also having 12MP camera is a bonus when recording video in high resolution and densing the pixel to 1080p is better than 5mp, eg. N8 took great videos quality.
If you want good video for least cost, a lower resolution sensor with less noise would result in less image processing overhead (but, this should be done by the DSP in most cases, not the CPU).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'm about to scrap eldar from my Twitter subscriptions

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
The thing why such a Qualcomm at 800MHz may be slower than a "standard" Cortex A8 at 600MHz is because the Snapdragon uses a crappier GPU than the A8.
Cortex A8 is a CPU core. It has no GPU.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
@buchanmilne,

which would you prefer? An underpower device or an overpower device when it release? I bet your argument would change and your jaw would drop when you see a device that running MeeGo which has far more future proof hardware. Future OS upgrade will not be a set back.

That's what those people back in the old day since the first computer were built predicting that you won't use more than 1KB in the future. And guess what? a few years later they were wrong, even 1MB wasn't enough for simple user.

Don't predict the present with the future.
Better to have more than having insufficient, when you needing it you'd have enough to tap into for more RAM and CPU power. That goes with the GPU as well, in computer world there is no such thing is too much RAM and too fast cpu or storage. If we have that much we will use that much. Potentials and more potentials.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-01-25 at 08:38.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
@buchanmilne,

which would you prefer? An underpower device or an overpower device when it release? I bet your argument would change and your jaw would drop when you see a device that running MeeGo which has far more future proof hardware. Future OS upgrade will not be a set back.

That's what those people back in the old day since the first computer were built predicting that you won't use more than 1KB in the future. And guess what? a few years later they were wrong, even 1MB wasn't enough for simple user.

Don't predict the present with the future.
Better to have more than having insufficient, when you needing it you'd have enough to tap into for more RAM and CPU power. That goes with the GPU as well, in computer world there is no such thing is too much RAM and too fast cpu or storage. If we have that much we will use that much. Potentials and more potentials.
Those 640KB machines were tethered to a relatively unlimited power source.

IF having a quadcore beast means you'll have to lug a car battery in your backpack to survive a day, or recharge your phone (for 30 mins?) every 3 hour, then that gives a different meaning to a portable hardware.

We don't know that yet, that's what most people here seem to be concerned about.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Those 640KB machines were tethered to a relatively unlimited power source.

IF having a quadcore beast means you'll have to lug a car battery in your backpack to survive a day, or recharge your phone (for 30 mins?) every 3 hour, then that gives a different meaning to a portable hardware.

We don't know that yet, that's what most people here seem to be concerned about.
Isn't it was the same as when the N900 was introduce with the 5800 battery? People have their doubts and predictions of N900 as a blood sucking vampire that won't last a day with that much power in it.

Yeah I know but have you seen Tegra2? It's doing pretty good at maintaining the power management. I am sure that it will improve to fit in portable devices and last longer than N900 would Can't really question the technology. It's moving too quick and it will be substainable with a new type of battery that last longer and hold more charge than Li-iron.

The future!

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-01-25 at 08:54.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@maxx: If there is one computer subsystem that is most stagnant; one that develops (in capacity and performance) the least compared all other subsystems, that would be the battery.

It'd be nice if you understand the context of other's arguments.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Harmattan is not dead yet, at least not on everyones machine, it seems Thiago Macleira (a very well positioned and knowledgeable Qt guru/designer) is still using a product called Harmattan.

Wouldn't he be using the real Meego in case the Harmattan/meego was cancelled : (just arrived on the meego-dev mailing list, about NEON (ARM specific) high performant version of memcopy)

Em terça-feira, 25 de janeiro de 2011, às 09:04:04,
leonid.moiseichuk@nokia.com escreveu:
> We have tested version in our libc and Juha could share it.

Having looked at the disassembly of that function from my Harmattan sysroot, I am not sure it's the best.

It does the same thing that glibc tries to do: move as much data as possible on each step. That's great, except for when you have small memory chunks you want moved. My performance timings on real applications show that the overhead of selecting the best code path is worse than the benefit of the faster memory moving.

See:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/08/25/...e-simd-or-not/

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago (AT) macieira.info - thiago (AT) kde.org
Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358
Another twist

Tags
cia debunked, its true, n9 is a myth, no kia, scifi, top secret