Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Try to get into Xterm as root/synaptic pack manager, stuck at the admin password. Try user, rootme, root didnt work. ???

bun
The password for Debian's root user should be the same as your Maemo root user, because my script copies the user info from Maemo. (Just checked; it works...) Beware that if you have an N800 and you try to run Synaptic in IceWM, you will need a hardware keyboard to enter the admin password.

Perhaps you shouldn't bother trying to do that stuff in IceWM; after all, just press the "Home" key (with the house on it) to get back to OS2008. If you run the "Debian chroot" from your menu, it drops you to a root prompt in Debian. Also, the "Synaptic Package Manager" item from the menu gives you root access without a password.

EDIT: Bun, you changed your post after I replied! Cheater!

EDIT2: I just checked, there's a passwordless root terminal in IceWM under Programs / Applications / Terminal Emulators called "X-Terminal as root (GKsu)"

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-06 at 05:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Great job Qole! Is there any additional functionality packed in the deb as far as the chroot'ing and whatnot that goes beyond the initial one (besides the automatic image download bit - e.g. if I wanted to keep utilizing my existing image, would there be benefits to grabbing the updated easy-deb-chroot deb?)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by psykosis View Post
Great job Qole! Is there any additional functionality packed in the deb as far as the chroot'ing and whatnot that goes beyond the initial one (besides the automatic image download bit - e.g. if I wanted to keep utilizing my existing image, would there be benefits to grabbing the updated easy-deb-chroot deb?)
You definitely should upgrade your easy-deb-chroot .deb. The scripts are much much better now. As for the big disk image, you can use your old one, but the IceWM setup in this version is pretty cool.

Major changes since first chroot package:
  • I've got the IceWM setup in there now!
  • Locales left in for international users
  • No hacks to remove docs
  • New un-hacked versions of OpenOffice and Iceweasel

The new script looks for the first image file that starts with "debian" so you could, in theory, keep both image files, and just rename the one you don't want to use to "xdebian.img.ext2" as required to use one or the other (rebooting between uses).

IceWM on top of OS2008 is cool:

IceWM running AbiWord and xvkbd, with OS2008 menu (invoked by pressing Home key)

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-06 at 06:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
incredible work

These tablets are going from strength to strength!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I also just realized I didn't include a file manager in IceWM. Funny that a window manager doesn't have one by default...
The answer is ROX (the puppy linux way...)
http://packages.debian.org/etch/rox-filer

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
The answer is ROX (the puppy linux way...)
http://packages.debian.org/etch/rox-filer
which package should i use?

Or if I go to synaptic, they offer 2.7 rox-filer instead of 2.5. Would 2.7 make the tablet explode?

bun

finnaly,you announced it.great job,thanks a lot.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Would 2.7 make the tablet explode?
Version 2.7 is allright, I was only pointing to the debian page showing it is available.
Rox-filer is very light and configurable, but remember it needs the right mouse key, so in order to have it install keylaunch. I don't know if it's already in Qole last easy debian package because I'm still using my old rootfs from Johnx.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Yes, rox-filer 2.7 installed successfully.

Open Synaptic Package Manager, wait for 20 seconds or so, manually locate rox-filer 2.7-1 and marked for install, and follow installation, takes some 2 minutes. Get out, boot into IceWM, debian>Programs>Applications>System>ROX Filer.

Error message, '/home/user/.icons' not found, other than that, it seems working. Have not learned how to use it yet, , it is a 10 page user manual.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-06 at 15:14.

On the synaptic, there is also kde desktop environment. Can I install it? Would that made my house on fire?

BTW, the clock is always 3 hrs ahead, is that qole's clock? How do I set it to average user use? Thanks, it is fun........till reflash, I guess

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-06 at 15:07.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete