Sounds like project for Coding Competition.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks, Quim, for making this available!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please have a look at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...36#post1217436 for the case of a developer asking for the best activity to submit his app, ported from Android. Opinions are welcome.

I saw that there is an entry for ImageExpo on the missing apps wiki and I'm working on a Netview clone with usb (and maybe bluetooth) connectivity.

I am eligible for the competition with this app?

Download it at Maemo Garage or at extras-devel

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
What happens if Nokia Store and Qt 5 activities participants prefer N9 in higher numbers than initially planned? Should we stick to the numbers agreed (15 N9 / 10 N950) for each anyway or do the Comunity Awards and/or the Code Competition welcome more N950s?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
What happens if Nokia Store and Qt 5 activities participants prefer N9 in higher numbers than initially planned? Should we stick to the numbers agreed (15 N9 / 10 N950) for each anyway or do the Comunity Awards and/or the Code Competition welcome more N950s?
This N9 or N950 choice has introduced more than a bit of complexity. We could have simply said you'll get one or the other instead of taking preferences. I'd rather not complicate it further by trying to alter the ratio now. Also, I don't want to change things after the activities have started.

The Code Competition hasn't started and there seemed to be a higher interest there. Anyway, either way works for me as well.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The coding competition would welcome another n950 if possible. The initial proposal for the competition revolved around the idea of 10 categories which was a perfect fit for the 10 N950s the equal share would give us. Since then, there's been a consensus to lower the amount of categories and we're finding it harder to share the 10 out more evenly. The last proposal for categories and device split we had was roughly:

1. Desktop, System & Utilities (2 N950, 2 N9)
2. Games, Graphics & Multimedia (2 M950, 2 N9)
3. Network & Communications (2 N950, 2 N9)
4. Location & Navigation (2 N950, 2 N9)
5. Other (2 N950, 2 N9)
6. Updates to existing apps (3 N9)
7. Beginners (made up of entries from categories 1-5) (2 N9)

However we have had feedback from beginners that they are a little disappointed that, although they can compete for 2 N950s in each category, that we haven't got a N950 specificaly dedicated to the beginners prize. So i promised i would reach out and ask if it would be possible at this late stage to swap one of out N9 allocation for another n950.. is that something we could still do?

i think it would be really appreciated by new developers as the N950 is very aspirational for them. If it's not possible, we'll understand and look to juggle the categories/device split a little more. Looking at the wiki for the community awards it appears that so far there are 8 requesting n950 only, 19 requesting n9, and 18 happy with either - perhaps a swap in this case would be mutually beneficial?

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
The coding competition would welcome another n950 if possible. The initial proposal for the competition revolved around the idea of 10 categories which was a perfect fit for the 10 N950s the equal share would give us. Since then, there's been a consensus to lower the amount of categories and we're finding it harder to share the 10 out more evenly. The last proposal for categories and device split we had was roughly:

1. Desktop, System & Utilities (2 N950, 2 N9)
2. Games, Graphics & Multimedia (2 M950, 2 N9)
3. Network & Communications (2 N950, 2 N9)
4. Location & Navigation (2 N950, 2 N9)
5. Other (2 N950, 2 N9)
6. Updates to existing apps (3 N9)
7. Beginners (made up of entries from categories 1-5) (2 N9)

However we have had feedback from beginners that they are a little disappointed that, although they can compete for 2 N950s in each category, that we haven't got a N950 specificaly dedicated to the beginners prize. So i promised i would reach out and ask if it would be possible at this late stage to swap one of out N9 allocation for another n950.. is that something we could still do?

i think it would be really appreciated by new developers as the N950 is very aspirational for them. If it's not possible, we'll understand and look to juggle the categories/device split a little more. Looking at the wiki for the community awards it appears that so far there are 8 requesting n950 only, 19 requesting n9, and 18 happy with either - perhaps a swap in this case would be mutually beneficial?
No, just no.

The N950 is a highly desirable device. Why should the number of hoops and jumps to clear to win be lowered just so a beginner can aspire to have a device he cannot target his appz to?

To say the N950s are prizes for the big boys only is like saying the gold medals at the Olympics are for the big boys only.

Think about it.

Last edited by vi_; 2012-06-06 at 10:15.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
No, just no.

The N950 is a highly desirable device. Why should the number of hoops and jumps to clear to win be lowered just so a beginner can aspire to have a device he cannot target his appz to?

To say the N950s are prizes for the big boys only is like saying the gold medals at the Olympics are for the big boys only.

Think about it.
Thanks for your feedback vi_. It's clear we have a difference of opinion on what the N950 can be used for, but that's ok - all views are good Although if i understand your original position correctly you argued that the coding competition should have N9s only and no N950s, that view point wouldn't be so good

A huge part of what we aim to do with our coding competition is to get beginners onboard - it grows the development base and keeps the platform current and fresh for everyone here imo. We all start somewhere, and from little acorns giant oaks can grow If we can use an extra N950 as a carrot to encourage some more developers to start developing for our devices, then i think we should. It's a little unfair to suggest we're lowering the criteria for obtaining one - don't forget the winners will have proven themselves as developers to the community and would surely be worthy of the 'official' developer device

I think I know what you mean about the gold medal analogy, but i don't believe keeping the n950s in the hands of the 'big boys only' benefits the community, Let's spread them around a bit more imo, but still (as far as the coding competition is concerned) to developers who deserve them..

So we'd like to keep our request with the council to see if it could be possible to add 1 extra N950 to our allocation, in return for a N9 from our allocation. After taking all views onboard I'm sure they will give us a 'yes' or a 'no' and whatever the response we'll take it from there. No harm in asking

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-06 at 11:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: