Notices

Nokia is the worlds number 1 seller of mobilephones around the globe - or intend to be at least..

Apple has been dominating the market of Apps for the past 2 years now, and Nokia hasn't been doing anything.

That is until Maemo was released, together will my nicely Nokia N900

- But I guess Nokias own developers are reading these posts, otherwise they're just stupod. This just isn't ambitious enough.

There's like - what? 165 apps at the moment? How can that compare to Apples thousands of apps? Answer: it can't.

So unless Nokia wants to loose anymore shares to Apple (and this is happening as we speak), then Nokia needs to hire some developers, do a money-for-apps-program or whatever. Cause this just isn't ambitious enough!

I'd like to hear other peoples reaction to this. No flames, thank you.

Originally Posted by webmok View Post
...- But I guess Nokias own developers are reading these posts, otherwise they're just stupod. This just isn't ambitious enough.

There's like - what? 165 apps at the moment? How can that compare to Apples thousands of apps? Answer: it can't.

So unless Nokia wants to loose anymore shares to Apple (and this is happening as we speak), then Nokia needs to hire some developers, do a money-for-apps-program or whatever. Cause this just isn't ambitious enough!
The vast majority of iPhone apps, are not developed by Apple:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1377316442&play=1

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34316207

Why are apps considered to be the measure of a phone's functionality and usefullness? I've installed all the apps that "I" need/want back in Dec. The only other app I really want is slingmobile, but again, its not up to Nokia to develop...and though I fear it will never be available for any n900 platform, it doesn't take away from how the phone meets all my other needs.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-02-16 at 23:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
I don't really care who creates the apps, or if it's one guy in Finland who has to be working day and night to create some. Just as long someone will do it.

Apple (100,000) vs. Nokia (165)

You see what I mean ?

The tags right now are hi-LARious.

With a starting post like that it's going to be hard not to flame

The Following User Says Thank You to LondonBenji For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
So unless Nokia wants to loose anymore shares to Apple (and this is happening as we speak),
Actually, Nokia *gained* market share last quarter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
I don't really care who creates the apps, or if it's one guy in Finland who has to be working day and night to create some. Just as long someone will do it.

Apple (100,000) vs. Nokia (165)

You see what I mean ?
You just said that Nokia developers are not doing enough. Again, why does a phone need 100,000 apps to be a good device? Why are you comparing a device that has been out for so long to a "new" device? 165 apps is more than the iphone had after 3-4 months. Do you really need an app that "makes ripples in a fish pond" (Coy Pond) when you touch the screen? Is that app really mission critical?

The fact that the 900 can run full blown WinNT 4.0 alone makes it better than the iphone "to me".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Probably because otherwise this thing is going to be developers only masturbationfest where quite small group of people hack and make themselves happy until Nokia drops it's support fully and this group of hamster goes to new device and talks about "do you remember N900 it was fun as long as it lasted...so shame that it had to be put down".

Money what Nokia and shareholders want is in the pockets of people who spend easily their money on apps like iFart and 1000 pointless other stuff. I really want those people to buy this device because that way I know that Nokia will keep supporting this device and developers will get their s*it load of money from making appwhatever for people with easy money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
The fact that the 900 can run full blown WinNT 4.0 alone makes it better than the iphone "to me".
Lol! Because running Win NT 4.0 on a mobile device is just SOOOOO useful!!

Ok I agree with the rest of your post, I just thought I'd point out how ridiculous that comment is. Sure it's impressive, but not at all practical (unless you're still supporting/developing for WinNT 4.0 environments?)

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oxford , England
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
You just said that Nokia developers are not doing enough. Again, why does a phone need 100,000 apps to be a good device? Why are you comparing a device that has been out for so long to a "new" device? 165 apps is more than the iphone had after 3-4 months. Do you really need an app that "makes ripples in a fish pond" (Coy Pond) when you touch the screen? Is that app really mission critical?

Why would anyone want to run WinNt 4.0 on their phone ?
I mean don't get me wrong I love my N900 to pieces , but I do also have an iPod touch and a lot of you seem to just be hating apple because in some respects they are better , and then backing up the N900 with pretty much useless arguments like the above.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Not until N900, most people know about Nokia apps is Symbian(and many don't even know the difference of S40 and S60)
There have been a lot of Symbian apps over the years, by Nokia or by 3rd parties.
And Symbian remains the major platform Nokia is working on

And as others have said, most iPhone apps were not developed by Apple. They were developed by 3rd parties for making money!

Comparing the size of N900 community with other platforms(iPhone, WM, Andorid and Symbian) there isn't that much incentive for 3rd party developers or companies to make apps on it.

When I showed my friends who's using iPhone the games I have, like Angry Birds, Quake 3, SNES, VGA emulators, they asked me why I could get so many games for free. Everything on iPhone takes money, Angry Birds is not free on iPhone.

Enjoy the free apps and games you got and better if you can contribte. It's just a small community

Last edited by mcdull; 2010-02-16 at 23:50.

Tags
bye-bye loser, context is king!, numbers serious business, webdick prick