Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
So, instead of basing the site name on an operating system Nokia abandoned in the spring of 2010, we'll base the site name on a product line Nokia abandoned in the fall of 2008? For the future!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
So, instead of basing the site name on an operating system Nokia abandoned in the spring of 2010, we'll base the site name on a product line Nokia abandoned in the fall of 2008? For the future!
Internet Tablet doesn't even refer to a product to the normal user. It refers to an idea. One guaranteed not to die.

There has always been a secret fraternity of users here -- I confess I am one of them. I was never loyal to Nokia. I wanted my little pocket computer that had a terminal. This is a great time to break away from the kind of brand loyalty that allows users to be bought and sold -- and betrayed.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-07-11 at 00:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Internet Tablet doesn't even refer to a product to the normal user. It refers to an idea. One guaranteed not to die.
So, if we know the site was named for Internet Tablets (proper noun), not Internet tablets (common noun), we're disqualified from the discussion due to the True Scotsman Law?

Are there non-Internet tablets (common noun) anymore?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
My spiral-bound doesn't go on the Internet, does yours? Neither does my newly acquired Boogie Board (you can find it on Amazon).

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My spiral-bound doesn't go on the Internet, does yours? Neither does my newly acquired Boogie Board (you can find it on Amazon).
Bravo! I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who finds this entire discussion quite humorous.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
We might instead go and base the site name on an operating system Nokia will abandon in the winter of 2012!

Finding a series here

Note: do not interpret post seriously.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
It's humorous because the powers that be will never understand how wrong they were in joining Nokia in abandoning Tablets just before they went big.

Boogie Board box cover photo attached.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Going back to serious discussion, Maemo/Meego is a mark for me. Sorry, for neophytes, that bought N900 after all fuss with Nokia, Elop, strategy changes and what not, Maemo != Nokia, same for Meego. for me Maemo is Community. In fact, Community that try to have less and less closed source components in devices used today (CSSU etc.), and to have nice core system for future (Meego !=Harmattan - Meego CE with Cordia on top of it? Yup!).

I think that, if/after Nokia cut off, We can do OpenPandora way. Like it or not, we got no better base solution (i mean only open source components, lets let alone all closed parts) than Meego/Maemo. You can't even dream about truly open source device based on Android, not to mention other mobile OS'es. For Meego with mix of Maemo UI, this is at least possible (although require much work).

If You ask few years ago, if Open Office can be 100% independent of Sun, no one would believe. Now we got LibreOffice. I don't see ANY reasons, why Maemo/Meego can't be developed further in open way.

Why not for "multitablet" forum? Because we got almost nothing common with Android (despite it being false google in penguin disguise), and even less with iOS (sic, lol at even thinking of that) or Windoze mobile.

I agree that there aren't many android or iOS users knocking @ door, but also i doubt that we have anything to talk with them about (metaphorical, of course - on this forum about technical and meritocratic aspects, not in real life situations )

Or maybe I just fail what good and open Android/ iPhone fans can bring here.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I agree that there aren't many android or iOS users knocking @ door, but also i doubt that we have anything to talk with them about (metaphorical, of course - on this forum about technical and meritocratic aspects, not in real life situations )

Or maybe I just fail what good and open Android/ iPhone fans can bring here.
Another commenter who apparently fails to realize that these conversations with Android etc users are already going on ON THIS SITE every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

You guys live in ivory towers, or what?

In fact ITT the original site is STILL HERE in many ways.

I would guess that at least 50% of N900 users have ANOTHER modern mobile phone that IS NOT FROM NOKIA!

That guess might be off, but my impression is that comments like Android users have nothing to say to us are completely off the planet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
There are many non-maemo related discussions gping on here everyday.

Why aren't there more users wanting to congregate here? Just off the top of my head, the name? Maybe the generally outright hostile attitude towards them when they do show up?

"internet tablet" could and should cover a lot of ground.

Frankly, whatever we call it, the community should set a goal to be independent of Nokia (as much as possible) in six months. I don't want to be a dog begging for scraps at Nokia's feet. I'd rather show Nokia we don't need them as much as they need us.

The community doesn't need Nokia to survive. Nokia needs the community to have a number of apps ready for the N9 launch. If not for the community, the N9 will have a very few apps for launch. The story on all the sites/blogs would be no apps, no ecosystem, no buy.

I'd say Nokia needs the community more than ever, except Nokia has already committed to the failed of the N9.

At any rate I'm sure quite a few people here are content to sit at Nokia's feet and beg for scraps. At the end Nokia will pull the plug to resounding "but, but, somebody said, somebody promised", and the response from Nokia will be "....".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down