Active Topics

AT&T changed my grandfathered unlimited data plan to a 3 GB plan. I Called to see what the deal was and he specifically said I had the N9. I guess I Got away with it long enough :/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unoace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Bummer.

If you're limited to 3 Gigs now, you might as well dump them for a monthly PIA plan from an MVNO like StraightTalk and save some money. They've got lousy customer support, but who doesn't

OTOH, if your usage includes streaming audio, then maybe not.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Good thats not how it works in Finland.

My monthly data usage is 20GB+ with N9 and hotspot.

I pay 2e month for it. Got 5e discount trought.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
Good thats not how it works in Finland.

My monthly data usage is 20GB+ with N9 and hotspot.

I pay 2e month for it. Got 5e discount trought.
The whole data plan in USA seems unbelievable for me. I have no clue what smartphone or non-smartphone has something to do with data plan. Why they care?

Can you guys please explain how or why is it like that in USA?

Kind of like Mikkosssss, I have unlimited 3G connection only for 5e/month.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by late88 View Post
The whole data plan in USA seems unbelievable for me. I have no clue what smartphone or non-smartphone has something to do with data plan. Why they care?
I think the idea is that if you have a non-smartphone, you'd be using much less data, just checking your email, infrequent browsing on a tiny screen, mostly just using voice and SMS. A smartphone, OTOH, you'll be running data-intensive apps, web browsing frequently, streaming Pandora or whatever . . .

These assumptions are not mine, and really are generalizations and I've probably left out a lot of stuff. Certainly any given customer could be the exception in either case, but I suppose on the whole it's accurate enough for business purposes. When AT&T first got the iPhone exclusive deal in the US, data usage from those customers really clogged up their tubes for quite a while.

BTW, when you guys say 2e or 5e a month for data, you mean on top of what you pay for voice service, right? Not a total monthly cost?

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Dunno about US. I am in the UK on some ancient (15+ years, no longer offered) pre-paid plan with 5 free texts per day but outrageously expensive data (something like £1 for every 3 MB). It suits my usage pattern and I top up by £5 only once in 2 to 3 months but... I once blew my entire remaining credit (whole £15, what was left from a £20 voucher I got for Christmas) just by running apt-get update.

Regarding why the phone type matters... It is one of those "unlimited until you use it" things.

I also heard that you pay for receiving calls in the US. Is that the case or is it a thing of the past?

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
BTW, when you guys say 2e or 5e a month for data, you mean on top of what you pay for voice service, right? Not a total monthly cost?
Yup few euros more for voice and sms top of that. (I dont speak that much on phone. I use skype on phone and FB messages)

It Sucks bad but what can I do, think I'm going to switch to T-Mobile(unlimited data) and get a different phone. I Love my n9 but if I'm bing to have to sign up with a new contract might as well get a newer phone.

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by unoace View Post
It Sucks bad but what can I do, think I'm going to switch to T-Mobile(unlimited data) and get a different phone. I Love my n9 but if I'm bing to have to sign up with a new contract might as well get a newer phone.
T-Mobile USA no longer offers service contacts. Everything is month to month.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I think the idea is that if you have a non-smartphone, you'd be using much less data, just checking your email, infrequent browsing on a tiny screen, mostly just using voice and SMS. A smartphone, OTOH, you'll be running data-intensive apps, web browsing frequently, streaming Pandora or whatever . . .

These assumptions are not mine, and really are generalizations and I've probably left out a lot of stuff. Certainly any given customer could be the exception in either case, but I suppose on the whole it's accurate enough for business purposes. When AT&T first got the iPhone exclusive deal in the US, data usage from those customers really clogged up their tubes for quite a while.

I think that you missed the major point. its a way to get more money