Active Topics

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Now there is the FxTec Pro as well.
Is it? Do you know anyone who has it in their hands right now? Anything beyond the very first batch of Early Birds?

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
One new option to have Linux smartphone + qwerty keyboard :

PinePhone keyboard prototype transforms the Linux phone into a tiny Linux laptop
by BRAD LINDER - APRIL 23, 2021
https://linuxsmartphones.com/pinepho...-linux-laptop/
Oh no, clamshell design once again 🤦 I had hoped it was sufficiently established with the Planet devices that nobody can type on those things. Slide-out with two-thumbs typing is the only thing that really makes sense here!

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Is it? Do you know anyone who has it in their hands right now? Anything beyond the very first batch of Early Birds?
I just got a shipping notification for mine! Will report here if I receive it.

Although Linux may be more than a few steps away as FxTec announced in their last newsletters they will ship with stock Android, even if you elected LinageOS or Ubuntu Touch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Jul 2021 @ Blueberry World
For me, that'll be the Steam Deck.

It's a bit too big for handheld, but if I can do everything on it and play games then it's fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Danct12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Oh no, clamshell design once again 🤦 I had hoped it was sufficiently established with the Planet devices that nobody can type on those things. Slide-out with two-thumbs typing is the only thing that really makes sense here!
Actually it is good 8 thumbs finger typing...but problem is Meamo Leste is not ready for it and Manjaro in it sucks (my biased opinion).

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Actually it is good 8 thumbs finger typing...but problem is Meamo Leste is not ready for it and Manjaro in it sucks (my biased opinion).
The PP kb thumb typing ergonomics seem fine to me, easy better than a N900 but I could 4-6x finger peck, no touch typing though, but I have very large hands and thick fingers. The key switches are as good as could be expected for membrane and silicone cup, certainly not cherry MX blues but better than any laptop I have owned in the last 15 years. I am just having issues with Mobian right now where the window manager runs slow and crashes with the KB snapped on. I would also prefer a slider but the clamshell also has a large 2nd battery and room to add I2c stuff inside.
Once I can get the kb working in Mobian I will be back in my pocket Linux with hardware keyboard situation I have had since about y2k with my first Sharp Zaurus SL-5500.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Once I can get the kb working in Mobian I will be back in my pocket Linux with hardware keyboard situation I have had since about y2k with my first Sharp Zaurus SL-5500.
PP Keyboard works fine with Maemo Leste (i didn't have to do anything)...I had write something longer with nano in terminal. Good when I use 10 finger system without thumbs ( = 8 finger system), I put them under keyboard.

Last edited by teroyk; 2022-08-11 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:

Tags
computer, linux