Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I must be missing something. I really don't understand what's being discussed here. How can an adapter overcome the memory limitation? Isn't that a current limit of addressable memory? What would this adapter look like? Wouldn't the memory card form factor still be MiniSD?

Maybe alzheimers is setting in, because as a former electronics designer and tech (and especially N800 QA engineer) I feel I should get this right off (as others have), but it makes absolutely no sense to me...

I Don't think it's a memory cap that is the problem Tex..

Just like the N800 only advertised like 8 or 16GB i think but when 32GB came out they were still usable because they use the same SDHC technology..

The N810 can "read" SD cards all the way to however big they will make them in SDHC.. it just doesn't have the hardware to insert the full size SD into.. (at least this is my understanding)

Now how he Shrunk an SD card to fit it into the mini slot is beyond me....

Just like, for example, an external SD card reader reads just fine in an N810.. if you find some manner of hack that allows you to jam a full size SD into the N810 without killing it I imagine it'd read like any other card. *shrug*
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
In this case it is a physical limitation... Right now there are no Mini SD cards with a capacity greater than 8gb. So, this solution would allow us to use full size SD cards, which are available in 32gb sizes..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'd really love to see how he's pulling that off without voiding the warranty... that's where a lot of my confusion is coming from.

And if I recall correctly there were issues at one point with the N800 being able to read the larger cards...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'd really love to see how he's pulling that off without voiding the warranty... that's where a lot of my confusion is coming from.
My speculation is here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...553#post217553

If you don't want to disassemble the card to fit under standard battery cover you need cover with extra more space (at least near minisd slot). Also instead of real wires maybe one can get that flat cable similar to those used for connecting LCDs (not sure about proper name). The crack between minisd slot door and cover could be enough for it to get mmc signals under cover.

EDIT: According to wikipedia such cable is called Flexible flat cable or FFC or FPC (flexible printed cable). Any place where I can buy few centimeters with 9 wires inside?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-08-28 at 07:06.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I must be missing something. I really don't understand what's being discussed here. How can an adapter overcome the memory limitation? Isn't that a current limit of addressable memory?[...]
No, it's a pure physical size / capacity availability limitation of cards in production. The N810 could use (address) 2TB cards, if anyone could sell you one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Everyone

Why all the speculation I just need to know who wants one?

Read all of this thread and you will understand. The N810 can read anycard the N800 can read. So far as you can see 32GB is no problem. I am making a new battery cover and the full size SD card fit under that cover with no problem and you do not see any wires. The cover is less then 5mm thick. For another version there is no cover, it is for those who alreads have extended covers.

While you all are speculating on how I am doing it think about this. As I currently see it barring any unforeseen problems, if I wanted to I can add many features to the tablet in addition to the full size SD card. I can also connect to the USB port with the same parts I am making for the SD card. There will also be no wires showing to the built in micro USB connector.

I have been thinking of the possible features to add?

Tilt sensor
Built-in flash drive 8GB to 32GB or more
IR receiver
RF Receiver
A2DP transmitter

Anything that can currently connect to the USB port and be recognized by the N810 (available drivers) is possible

I have been spending many hours thinking about this and it can be extended but I only have the money to do the full size SD adapter for now. I will make additional feature add-ons later

Thanks all

The Following User Says Thank You to craves1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post

Just like, for example, an external SD card reader reads just fine in an N810.. if you find some manner of hack that allows you to jam a full size SD into the N810 without killing it I imagine it'd read like any other card. *shrug*

Actually, I have tried a variety of SD cards in 2 different card readers attached to my n810 via the USB-control/FF usb attachment method. I can't get any card to be read or even recognized. (other USB devices connect fine with this setup though).
Anyone actually had success with a SD card reader in their n810??
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

I am interested in the adapter as well. Would you give an estimate of the cost(20s, 40s, 60s ....?).

thanks

Fanoush,
In the UK flat cable can be bought from Farnell and RS components.
Farnell do a tyco flexstrip that has a max thickness of 0.63mm
but if you are building something like craves1 then individual insulated wires about as fine as human hair are quite common.

Tags
16gb on n810, 32g n810, memory upgards for n810, memory upgrade n810