Subnet Mask………………………………..: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway…………………………..: 192.168.1.1

Below is the setup information for the Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point:
Basic Settings:
Network…………………….……........…. Static IP
IP Address………………………........... 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask………………..........…... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway……………........….. 192.168.1.1
I don't like the IP address part. Shouldn't the AP be something 192.168.0.something other than 1? The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 so only the last part can be different for devices to see each other. Do a ping from the PC to the address of the AP and try different settings. when it responds OK do ping from the NIT to the PC and see how that works.

Valeria

The PC's IP address, 192.168.0.1, was assigned by the WinXP Network Wizard and works with other PCs in my home network. A question I have is whether the IP of the N800 must coordinate with those of the PCs in the home network so they can "see" each other. I will try this if I can figure out how to change the N800's IP address. Thanks for your reply.

After way too much head banging, I finally figured out how to achieve my goal of accessing the dial-up internet on my WinXP PC from my N800 Tablet.

To do this, I first tried Benson’s advice to add a wireless access point to my home network. I purchased a Linksys WAP54G from Best Buy, in spite of one of their employees saying it wouldn’t work with dial-up. (I wanted to buy it locally to have the ability to return it without any shipping expense).

I won’t go into everything I tried to get the WAP to work, but my eureka moment came when I realized that firewalls were preventing success. After I turned off the Windows firewall and the McAfee firewall, the N800 was able to utilize the internet service on the WinPC.

Once that worked, I tried to just connect the N800 to the hub with USB networking as mentioned by fatalsaint. When this was successful, it became obvious that no access point or router will be needed. Simpler is always better, especially when it’s less expensive. So, I’ll return the Linksys WAP and perhaps use that money for another accessory I’ve been wanting.

It’ll be a pleasure to have internet access for the N800 at home. The only outstanding chore will be to determine if I can define a firewall exception that will eliminate the need to actually turn off the firewall.

I hope this information is helpful to someone else. Thanks to everyone who helped in reaching this solution.

Tags
dial-up, internet, usb, wifi, winxp