Active Topics

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Okay, my understanding is that N900 will not be available on the ATT bands which are the same as the ROGERS bands, i think. Is there any Canadian carrier that supports the bands of the N900 3g?

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
I am profoundly ignorant of these things. If here is no 3G carrier, or I buy an N900 and don't sign on with a 3G carrier, could I still use the N900 as a phone (the way I use my current cell phone, a "shiny" samsung from virgin, I don't think it has a sim card in it) and as wifi internet tablet the way I use my N800? Would I just loose the "smartphone" 3Gness of the N900 (the internet while away from wifi)? Or do I misunderstand?

Pointers to information at elementary level explanations appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealBubba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by TheRealBubba View Post
I am profoundly ignorant of these things. If here is no 3G carrier, or I buy an N900 and don't sign on with a 3G carrier, could I still use the N900 as a phone (the way I use my current cell phone, a "shiny" samsung from virgin, I don't think it has a sim card in it) and as wifi internet tablet the way I use my N800? Would I just loose the "smartphone" 3Gness of the N900 (the internet while away from wifi)? Or do I misunderstand?

Pointers to information at elementary level explanations appreciated.
I'm pretty sure you can use it 3G less. Data connectivity would work on EDGE I think, which is much slower.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I've heard from a reliable source that Bell is rolling its own 3G network, which should be coming quite soon. I'm not sure as to the bands, they will be using, but I suppose there is hope.

YARR!
}:^)~

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by TheRealBubba View Post
and as wifi internet tablet the way I use my N800?
I would presume so. If you look closely at http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...n900/pic19.jpg , you will see that it has "Activate phone" next to "Offline mode".

Yes one of the problems with our country...we are a wireless backwater because of the CRTC and lack of competition.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to froid For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can confirm that the current N900 can do voice on Rogers/Fido, but it only shows "2.5 G" for data and has dismal data rates.

But with Wind (hopeful!) and Telus/Bell launching 3G networks soon, there IS hope...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can confirm that the current N900 can do voice on Rogers/Fido, but it only shows "2.5 G" for data and has dismal data rates.

But with Wind (hopeful!) and Telus/Bell launching 3G networks soon, there IS hope...
His first cell phone. How cute. Did you take a picture?

Don't mind me, that's just the jealousy talking.

Is that thing yours, or is it just a loner?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Send it over to your fellow Canadian when you're done.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Send it over to your fellow Canadian when you're done.
Hedgecore? He hasn't been around for quite awhile.

(Hehehe!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind