Active Topics

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can confirm that the current N900 can do voice on Rogers/Fido, but it only shows "2.5 G" for data and has dismal data rates.

But with Wind (hopeful!) and Telus/Bell launching 3G networks soon, there IS hope...
Aha! I am a bit behind the 8-ball. Congrats! That is amazing!

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
I can confirm that the current N900 can do voice on Rogers/Fido, but it only shows "2.5 G" for data and has dismal data rates.

But with Wind (hopeful!) and Telus/Bell launching 3G networks soon, there IS hope...
Well, Wind certainly looks promising!

I know next to nothing about bands/carriers/frequencies etc. But I see that Wind is going be using AWS. Is this supported by the the n900?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by TheRealBubba View Post
and as wifi internet tablet the way I use my N800?
The device can be used without 3G or 2G connectivity just like you would have used your N800 or N810, i.e. e.g. connect to wifi. I just did that in Northern Canada. There was no cellular network (any kind) available in Kuujjuaq or Iqaluit. But there was wifi about everywhere and the it was useful despite of not having the cellular connection, all sort of things worked via wifi. The experience was obviously a bit suboptimal compared to what I have in Finland, where everything works all the time and I can stay connected always to Internet and make calls and receive calls.

However, despite of the not optimal experience of just having the Wifi-connection, the old model N810 that I was able to demo there (could not do that with N900 as it was still top secret), e.g. in a Bed & Breakfast place where we stayed. I did notice two things: 1) they had never heard of this form factor devices before. Advanced ufo technology or something and 2) the N810 seemed very interesting device already. I could believe these people who tried N810 would have also liked N900 with just the Wifi there as that is the most mobile experience they can possibly get other than a satellite phone. And Googletalk and Skype were having a importance we have not used to in here in Finland because there is a telephone network here. There that is about the only way to contact people in other countries for example and the device with Wifi would be already exceptional mobility for them compared to just sitting on front of the computer to make their calls. I think even the fixed line phones there connect through through satellite. There are no cables there.
http://karoliinasalminen.wordpress.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karoliinasalmin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Aha! I am a bit behind the 8-ball. Congrats! That is amazing!
Congrats that the N900 won't work on Canadian 3G?

daperl: I still don't have a cellphone.

Will it work on bell because i am about to spend like 500 bucks for a ipod touch pretty much without the service

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Congrats that the N900 won't work on Canadian 3G?

daperl: I still don't have a cellphone.
No... congrats on having an N900 in your hands.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by karoliinasalmin View Post
And Googletalk and Skype were having a importance we have not used to in here in Finland because there is a telephone network here.
I am, believe you me, envying your phone infrastructure.

I have a google voice invitation, but I gather that will do me no good as I'm not in the US.

I still don't quite grasp whether I can use the dumb-phone part of the N900 phone on existing Canadian phone infrastructure, even hopefully with my current dumbphone service provider.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
How about using a Mifi like device using whatever hsdpa network works for you and data plan, then buy the N900 unlocked and use the wifi function with the Mifi.

Stick the modem in your back pocket or bag and your good to go.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A Rogers or Fido SIM card will give you "dumbphone" (cellular voice) service plus a very slow "2.5" (EDGE?) data connection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind