Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Easy. One AP with an external antenna on the top of your home to connect to their network, one patch cable, a second AP to distribute the signal around your home on a second channel.

What kind of antenna could this be?

Does anyone know if this is a special (ceramic) antenna or just a simple dipole? If this is a dipole, it could be replaced by an adapter (hirose, SMC) soldiered on the contacts for plugging external antennas.

Or is it a combi WLAN/Bluetooth-Antenna?

http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...70/22-N770.jpg

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
It seems to be an inverted-F antenna, combining Wlan and Bluetooth.

I am thinking to dismantle the case of the Nokia 770 like:

http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...mantlen770.htm .

I am owning a fantastic 30 cm WLAN-dish, especially for poor wireless signals.

So, i am planning to solder a SMA connector on top of the Internet-tablet so i can screw a pigtail for the antenna.

I haven t opened the Nokia 770 yet, so does anyone know where to solder the signal and ground contacts?.

Thank you.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Maemorandum
I am thinking to dismantle the case of the Nokia 770 like:

http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...mantlen770.htm .

I am owning a fantastic 30 cm WLAN-dish, especially for poor wireless signals.

So, i am planning to solder a SMA connector on top of the Internet-tablet so i can screw a pigtail for the antenna.

I haven t opened the Nokia 770 yet, so does anyone know where to solder the signal and ground contacts?.

Thank you.
...when you are unfamiliar with the anatomy of the patient.

great help, thank you mum.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
I would say that the wifi range extender/repeater is the simplest way to go for the OP.

By far, the best thing you can do is get a good high gain antenna for whatever equipment you decide to use for a repeater. A good antenna will help with both reception and transmission whereas any power hacks will only help transmission and will do nothing for receiver sensitivity ... resulting in no benefit in most situations.

I just stumbled upon this site that had a lot of good info and some good equipment for sale that might be useful for assembling something to do the trick:
http://radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless.html

It even has packages of antenna/amp/wrieless cards for use on trailers/RVs/transport trucks that might be useful to you.

The money lost by damaging yout 770 while hardware hacking it could buy a pretty sweet range extender.

First of all, thank you for your answer.

My Basestation is already extended (Two Apple Airport-Stations connected via software and supplying with an additional 24 element Yagi and a Collinear antenna).

I am interested in hardware-hacks, especially antenna solutions. Because of the poor range of the Nokia-770 i decided to add an external antenne on top of it. As a Linux-unit with a 800 pix display, the Nokia-770 seems to be unbeatable :-)

I am not fearfull in breaking the unit, yes - it is my own risk. I have already extended several other units with external antennas, successfully. It was worth the risk. The Reason why I am posting is, that it is helpful to listen to other peoples experience first, before the electronical measuring and studying the board. Can save a lot of time for me. Of course there is no electronic circuit.

My only fear is, that because the case of the Nokia-770 ist very difficult to open (Nokia likes plastic and hates screws) i will break the case with too much squeezing.

There seems to be nobody else who is an electrician like me, and who is interested in antenna-hacks.

Goodbye. Sorry for my english.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Maemorandum
First of all, thank you for your answer.

There seems to be nobody else who is an electrician like me, and who is interested in antenna-hacks.

Goodbye. Sorry for my english.
Your English is excellent.

Actually, I was responding to the OP (Original Poster). I am quite certain that you could find lots of people interested in hardware hacking the 770 by starting another message thread. Just not by hijacking the message thread of a non-tech saavy person having a specific problem.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm very intrested, though more in a solution like a battery powered repeater that's been hacked to extend range.

Thoughtfix, a member of this forum might be able to help; he's done lots of cool stuff.