Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

If this does break, would this be covered by the warranty?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
I have managed to do some "slight" damage to the connect on my N900. This was either via a drop when the cable was connected or too rough a removal.

The only effect I have seen is that if the charging cable is not lined up correctly, it will cycle through the "charging", "disconnect cable", "charging" messages every couple of seconds, until the cable is correctly aligned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ymb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Texrat has a point re quality of the part used for the USB connector, though I've only read about 2 incidents of the connector falling out/failing. The one incident was Texrat's phone getting violently yanked by the cable.

Considering the number of N900's in the wild right now, I think 2 incidents is insignifficant, unless there are more that have yet to come to light.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Zerojay also had this issue, and he indicated that it was after 3 months of careful use (pre-release version). For whatever reason, this issue has been sitting in my mind. On a work trip, for instance, it would be the worst of all possible scenarios (short of dropping or breaking the computer). If this becomes an issue (in a few months -- as these devices are used more and gain field time) would this be some items that one would think could/would be retrofitted by Nokia? Primarily as this is no garden variety cheap "phone". Would love to have some thoughts on this.

Last edited by thorbo; 2009-12-14 at 13:35. Reason: LIttle update....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thorbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Considering most people will charge at least once a day (at least) and transfer data via usb as well, this could be the number one warranty issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
I'm "trying" to get mine RMA'd by vendor (en route following vendor supplied shipping label, but not sure I'm actually getting replacement), after:

1. Metal surround for USB receptacle came apart at the seam (its crimped, not soldered/welded).

2. The whole receptacle came out, along with power plug, after fully charging. USB data cable didn't seem as tight.

I second trying to do something with the springloaded pins...seems a really tight fit with the microUSB power connector. Neither the case, nor the phone's internals, help brace the USB port. After taking it apart, I confirmed that there were only (4) small soldering points (1mm sq. each), and (2) slightly larger squares affixed with some red "epoxy(?)". In any case, I wasn't impressed with how its supported, having no issues with my micro USB port on my Motorola Q for the past two years.

Given that this is an unlocked phone (i.e. cost more, not able to walk in to store for replacement) and after giving up on the "DROID", I really want this phone to work for me. I'll most likely be installing some sort of "homemade brace" to help support the port. Even if its a few drops of silicon or rubber cement on the top, as a buffer against the internal housing which sits above.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
That's three... uh oh... (please be anomalies, please be anomalies) -Thor

That sucks, very unusual. Never saw any issues like this with my previous Nokia phones...

Hmmm if you look at the port carefully you can actually see the circuit board through the whole on top of the port (screen up). I've always feared these USB ports getting damaged and it seems like now I have a reason for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megacrazy For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty