Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Sorry guys, I came from Win Moibile devices and the guys over at XDA pretty much liked pushing the boundries of devices they had.

The vast majority of custom firmwares are better than the manufaturers by a mile and they have overclocked devices successfully.

IF you read my original post i was asking for comments, not possible would have sufficed.

Strange that other devices have successfully been tweeked and clocked to improve performance and that this device apparantly cant run over 600MHZ or it will fry. Granted i probably posted in the wrong section but guys, seriously..... You guys are acting like we are in the 1800's and im suggesting bulding a machine called a helicopter that can hover. Yep, impossible... go away nutter

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to telnet For This Useful Post:
An Overclocking app would be cool.

I ran one on my old G1 and Mytouch with no problems. Rooted, of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to That One Guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
What does it mean?
With the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz, the Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices

Does it mean that N900's A8 3430 can scale automatically upto 1 Ghz without any problem?or without overclocking?

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Wow, let's overclock it - then it will be less stable, with shorter battery life.

What could possibly go wrong?
Well i was hoping if the thread developed Underclocking certain cpu states could be discussed, that is also a perfomance gain.

Originally Posted by plaban View Post
What does it mean?
With the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz, the Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices

Does it mean that N900's A8 3430 can scale automatically upto 1 Ghz without any problem?or without overclocking?
Unfortunately no, it doesn't, not even close (maybe somewhat close). That article just mentions which ARM Cortex A8:s are currently availible.

That's why I said that the link doesn't say anything about overclocking. Nonetheless, the 3430 can be overclocked (see my previous post).

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by plaban View Post
What does it mean?

No. 1GHZ is almost certainly impossible. I would have hoped that 10% above stock would be achievable but a few people dissagree.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by telnet View Post
Sorry guys, I came from Win Moibile devices and the guys over at XDA pretty much liked pushing the boundries of devices they had.

The vast majority of custom firmwares are better than the manufaturers by a mile and they have overclocked devices successfully.

IF you read my original post i was asking for comments, not possible would have sufficed.

Strange that other devices have successfully been tweeked and clocked to improve performance and that this device apparantly cant run over 600MHZ or it will fry. Granted i probably posted in the wrong section but guys, seriously..... You guys are acting like we are in the 1800's and im suggesting bulding a machine called a helicopter that can hover. Yep, impossible... go away nutter
I haven't really seen complaints about the performance of N900. I think most of us here are more interested in stability and and battery life than pimping our hardware to the fullest. Sure, i've got curiosity what could be done with the N900 processor, but it wouldn't be useful to me, and i suspect any detailed discussion about how to do so on T.M.O would be a net negative in my book. We get enough new incoherent thread titles with too many periods or all CAPS without threads here that actually do describe a way to fry the hardware.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by telnet View Post
Well i was hoping if the thread developed Underclocking certain cpu states could be discussed, that is also a perfomance gain.
the n900 is using the ondemand scaler, It spends most of its time underclocked already, and it is *off* when idle.

So it's doing it already:

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
600000 727872
550000 4914
500000 6771214
250000 19473164

In other words, most of the time it's 250mhz, when its running at all.

Wow, let's overclock it - then it will be less stable, with shorter battery life.

What could possibly go wrong?
That is not entirely true. This isnt a noob overclock forum.

It could be possible to tweak clock settings for a 5-10% boost to 100% CPU state and reduce the cycles of and lower CPU states, which could even INCREASE battery life depending on the device usage.

the n900 is using the ondemand scaler, It spends most of its time underclocked already, and it is *off* when idle.

So it's doing it already:

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
600000 727872
550000 4914
500000 6771214
250000 19473164

In other words, most of the time it's 250mhz, when its running at all.
It could be nice to be able to tweak CPU though, id love to play with the stock power states and first step would defo be an underclock on the low power states, if everything in 'almost idle' ran fine at 200mhz then you could see a potential boost to battery life.

Now im begining to think I made a schoolboy error int he Thread title......

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom