Active Topics

I use it as a daily phone but am constantly on the edge of giving up due to it being unreliable. Starting the phone program, it will sometimes freeze-blur, unless you disable autorotation. It cannot send or receive messages reliably - the database will get messed up and then I have to fix it. Internal errors...And I just want to do something phones could do decades ago - make calls when I need to, send/receive SMS when I need to, not later.

But since this is N900 week, let me end with haiku:

song of the dependencies
USB port trembles
command line dreams at dawn

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I still use mine as a daily phone.
I have just about filled the 64G sd card with music, & I listen to it in the car via the FM xmtr. Neither of my cars has bluetooth. I use a number of other apps on it often, too, like Firefox, Modrana, PyOBD, Symfonie, gpodder, cuteRadio, etc.

I've never had a problem with the USB port, but the slider switch is now inop & the screen is getting eczema & is having trouble reading touches at the upper left corner.

I literally cannot function without the internet clock radio created via shellscript, alarmed, & kmplayer. I have never been able to wake up reliably until I put this together.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2014-09-30 at 05:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
How do people still use a N900 as a daily phone?
Funny, I wonder about the exact opposite: how can people use anything else?

Trust me, I have tried about a dozen phones, mostly Android, but also, more recently, Nokia N9 and Jolla. Some of them load a web page noticeably faster, which makes them perhaps more suitable for passively consuming information, but try to do anything as advanced as e.g. replying to the thread and... oh boy, a trouble! Doing anything even remotely active without a proper keyboard is such a PITA that, having read the forum on a "more modern" phone, I always reach for my trusty N900 to type a reply. Such as this one.

BTW, you do not look like such a Nokia fanatic now, having defected to the dark side

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Uploading pics to TMO is a super pain
here is from an auction, I use a host mode cable and I cut some wire to air-band freq.
Attachment 35864
I would do a cool pic with the N900 and some gadgets from my flight bag but TMO...
pls do a favour when you do the photoshoot i.e photograph the small gadgets on your palm or next to a coin etc as i got amazed by the size

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
How do people still use a N900 as a daily phone? The USB port in mine is borked, but I have an external charger for the battery so it can still function. Fired it up a few months ago before I moved to my Nexus 5 and I found it slow as ****. The few minor things that make it unique just aren't worth the hassle of a phone that is now just too limited.
The N900 is only slow if you compare it to hardware that's 4/5 years newer, or if you don't have the system set up properly.

One of my N900s is running on CSSU-Thumb, overclocked with minimum freq 500 and max freq 805, and it is just fine. Also, try to reboot often or use something like ereswap or flopswap to avoid performance issues due to swap file fragmentation.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-09-30 at 15:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I was lucky... I never did and still don't have issues with the USB like others had. It is also not slow and runs very well.

Did you flash it? If it is slow and running "off" that can help. But if you find it "limiting" it might not be worth it to you - it can all depend on what you want and need from a device.
I also have no problems with the USB port. The first thing I did was file the retaining hooks on all the microUSB connectors, so that the USB connector goes in and out without any effort. And charge behind locked doors, away from prying hands (or paws).

Estel recommended a while back to do the USB port connector solder fix, and I have been thinking about it more lately. I just need to buy a quality set of precision screwdrivers and a small tip soldering iron first.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I still use mine as a daily phone.
I have just about filled the 64G sd card with music, & I listen to it in the car via the FM xmtr. Neither of my cars has bluetooth. I use a number of other apps on it often, too, like Firefox, Modrana, PyOBD, Symfonie, gpodder, cuteRadio, etc.

I've never had a problem with the USB port, but the slider switch is now inop & the screen is getting eczema & is having trouble reading touches at the upper left corner.

I literally cannot function without the internet clock radio created via shellscript, alarmed, & kmplayer. I have never been able to wake up reliably until I put this together.
Alarmed is such a great utility. I tried briefly the highest rated scheduling app in Android (Tasker I think it's called) and it stunk very badly in comparison.

N900 is still my daily phone, BTW.

In the spirit of the occasion, let me extol the merits of N900 for me, as a superb entertainment center.

- As you mentioned already, replaceable storage! Great to store tons of music or video. iDorks can only dream.

- Great format support, thanks to N900's FOSS nature. Play anything that the hardware can handle, basically.

- As you just said, FM transmitter! I have set up my N900 with the hacked driver that unlocks the transmission power, and I have a desktop widget to boost the power to 118, which makes the signal very clear in my car.

- cuteTube. Awesome YouTube player (and DailyMotion, and Vimeo). Easy to also download any video, or music. Perfect compliment to the massive storage capacity of the N900 (Transmission bit torrent client also says Hi )

- Amazing headphone out. Great sound quality, and able to drive headphones easily. Also, add to it Rockbox and a set of good cans like the Sony MDR-7506. and you basically have an amazing audiophile portable music system.

- Video out quality is superb for being analog. I use mine to watch movies on a DLP projector on a 70 inch screen, and it's like a portable theater in your pocket.

- FM radio capability.

- Transmission torrent client.

- Ability to easily record system audio.

Now, this is just a small facet of the N900 (entertainment functionality), but one where it shows that it's still better in many ways than phones released 5 years later.

I really hope the Neo900 project is successful. And to think that if things had been different we might now have a full array of devices (phones and tablets) running the newest generation of the Maemo OS. Screw you, Elop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by chill View Post
I use it as a daily phone but am constantly on the edge of giving up due to it being unreliable. Starting the phone program, it will sometimes freeze-blur, unless you disable autorotation.
Have you tried some optimization tools and tricks ? Like Swappolube ? My N900 was and is responsive to make and received calls.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
I am using my N900 this week. Every night I charge the battery, and a spare, as I have a broken USB port (which was the reason I started using my N9 as my main phone). And I am rediscovering the amazing camera apps the N900 has.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
I am using my N900 this week. Every night I charge the battery, and a spare, as I have a broken USB port (which was the reason I started using my N9 as my main phone). And I am rediscovering the amazing camera apps the N900 has.
This week? Hold your horses. Its next week

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!