Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is not for everyone, however, some people would gladly pay for this tech.

There's a market for it. Simply put. Up until this device, Logitech basically has controlled the market with it's Harmony line of devices. They are basically universal remotes with a display, and the top-of-line version containing a touch-screen.

Roku (et al.) is certinaly full featured, but can't turn on (let alone control) control your huge A/V Receiver, your new big screen TV/projector, your blu-ray/dvd player (still relevant), or your stereo, or additional receivers. Something like this would reduce remote clutter tremendously as is the promise of universal remotes, without requiring a tool with 100 buttons on its face.

Yes, you can do it with your phone, but then again if you prefer a dedicated solution that more than one person can use (eg. family members), this is really, really good.

A better solution would be an IR transmitter that could connect to your home network and be controlled via your phone, your tablet, your pmp, or your computer via an easy to use, dedicated app. The trouble with this device would be selling it, as it would may be challenging to convince the masses the need of such a device.
There is certainly a market for such devices. I have so many gadgets I don't think I could get by without my Harmony 1100 and its ability to control all my devices (other than my Nintendo Wii). Would rather use something like my Galaxy Tab though since it has a bigger and more responsive screen. Patiently waiting for Logitech to release a fully featured Android app that offers an easier solution than needing to have a google tv box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Any more luck with this? Can anyone lend a hand?
Well I figured out the reason I was getting my emails and facebook updates. There is an open wifi near me that is on from time to time. As for getting 3G to work I have given up on that for now and will try a different provider.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
What's better than a Vietnamese video banging Gloria Gaynor in the background? One that features the ultra-thin Galaxy Tab 10.1!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/17/s...ome-honeycomb/

Lust. Worthy.

There's a side-to-side with an iPad 2, which shows that they are really quite similar when it comes to dimensions, and the Tab is quite thin. The screen looks like it has a contrast edge, but it would be impossible to tell 100% through this video.

There's also a quick bout of angry birds which show that it at least runs smoothly.

Here's hoping that the Exynos4210 is in this device and it runs at least as good as on the Odroid-A!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The 7" form factor may grow on you. However, if you're talking about the Tab, it does have HDMI out via the dock. I recall seeing them for not too much money, though they are much more expensive than they should be.
I have one of those HDMI docks too (in addition to the keyboard), in case there's any questions. I'm expecting to maybe order a couple of the Samsung car mounts soon, too. We'll see--I've been mulling it but, and I could be wrong here, I think it doesn't automatically support a line-out (or some kind of audio) through that wide port in the car mount which would make it easier to just get into the car, click it into the mount and drive off, instead of having to do that AND still connect a line-out from the headset. It's just a slight disappointment, though, since I almost always use a Jabra bluetooth FM transmitter (with microphones for phone calls) that I've got in the car anyway.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
However, if you're talking about the Tab, it does have HDMI out via the dock. I recall seeing them for not too much money, though they are much more expensive than they should be.
Ah yes, I did Google it and found it just before I read your post.
(from now on I will goto you first )
It's ~$50 which is expensiv imo.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I have one of those HDMI docks too (in addition to the keyboard), in case there's any questions. I'm expecting to maybe order a couple of the Samsung car mounts soon, too. We'll see--I've been mulling it but, and I could be wrong here, I think it doesn't automatically support a line-out (or some kind of audio) through that wide port in the car mount which would make it easier to just get into the car, click it into the mount and drive off, instead of having to do that AND still connect a line-out from the headset. It's just a slight disappointment, though, since I almost always use a Jabra bluetooth FM transmitter (with microphones for phone calls) that I've got in the car anyway.
I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
What's better than a Vietnamese video banging Gloria Gaynor in the background? The 7" form factor may grow on you.
Ultimatelol !
Yes the 7" size is slowly growing on me, but mainly for the fact that it can be mounted in the car (not on the windshield) and become the GPS+Entertainment Centre
... as well as being more portable than 10" and easier to grasp with one hand/landscape mode....BUT
I still love a good 10" screen-estate for decent HD videos and crisp web browsing, so I definitely need to have a look at those 8.9" tablets as soon as I can get my hands on one (maybe the best of both worlds).

But that $299 price for Galaxy Tab 3G is enticing, only thing holding my order is lack of custom ROM/support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
It seems that the new Tab may not hold the crown for the thinnest Tablet for very long.

A lesser known OTG has come out with a 7" tablet at a mind-numbinb 7mm thickness:

http://www.androidcentral.com/first-...android-tablet
VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hDzu_0BR_s

They've got the form factor down, lets see how quality the rest of it is!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
One of the worst things of Android IMHO is how applications pollute your sd card making it almost impossible to find something. It's like in the first days of Windows.

I've asked this before but still haven't found any answer:

I'd like to use a vfat partition in my micro sd as the sdcard for Nitdroid so my folder MyDocs wouldn't be polluted when installing Android applications.

Does anyone knows how to do it? Nitdroid doesn't seem to have an /etc/mtab to manually edit mountings, and manually symlinking /sdcard to new location doesn't work because the MyDocs vfat is still mounted as /mnt/sdcard.

Could you please direct me to a place with information about how Android manages partition mounting?.

Here is the first Galaxy S II commercial:
http://www.androidcentral.com/first-...s-2-commercial
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwEVV7PMn10

Very cute, but also I can see people jumping to the conclusion that this phone is waterproof!

This could cost Sammy in mindshare, insurance or lawsuits!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Wacom has announced a Capacitive stylus for all devices for £25:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/w...human-fingers/

It's good to see them getting in the game, but there's no mention of whether this device features hand rejection during use, which makes it a very expensive stylus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy