Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
*Shrug* How are you defining efficiency, exactly? Efficiency is getting a specific task or set of tasks or action(s) done with minimal wasteful expenditure.

Carrying a handgun around if all you want is to put bullets into soft human flesh things IS more efficient for that task and that task alone then driving around in an armored car with a mounted missile launcher and machine gun combo. But that armored car is going to do other things, that the handgun simply can't do - like protect you from bullets and fire missiles. At the end of the day, when you need to fire one bullet into one human-flesh thing, the car-mounted machine gun and the handgun will have very similar efficiency - firing pin hits bullet and the gun-powder goes boom.

But then that handgun is very inefficient if you want to use it for any other task, beyond a narrow range of functions.

Similarly, I don't think it's a matter of Maemo being more or less *efficient* then Symbian. It's just that Maemo does more, and thus has more stuff running in the background. Keep it to just the kernel and telephony, and whatever else symbian does, and it'll probably run you about the same energy consumption on the same hardware.

Of course, I'm not an expert, but so I suspect.
I find your gun analogy deeply disturbing, though informative...

DYK, that you can use a handgun to crack walnuts and silence your neighbors?

Thank me later..

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
im basing my efficiency claim solely on the fact that the minimum hardware specs for symbian are almost comically low. i wish i had a link to support this, but the fact that symbian is basically a corpse now makes finding them difficult :/

anyways, i stand by my position that the n900's BME is very inefficient.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
im basing my efficiency claim solely on the fact that the minimum hardware specs for symbian are almost comically low. i wish i had a link to support this, but the fact that symbian is basically a corpse now makes finding them difficult :/

anyways, i stand by my position that the n900's BME is very inefficient.
Agreed.

Even without data plan, using VERY FEW calls, and almost no wifi usage it got me through 2 days of use.

When I have a data plan it usually last 12~16hours.

My e71 lasts a WHOLE WEEK with my father, and lasted about 3~4 days with HEAVY use. My 5530 lasted me 2 days of Heavy use.

The same use I make of my n900 I can get twice the battery on a symbian.

That said, apart from the new Symbian 3 devices with Anna, I don't think Symbian can replace Maemo. With it, though, I think it can.

I would still have a Symbian before an Android (mostly because n8 camera's is so badass), because I don't know a single Android with a "decent" camera and Xenon flash (that can be upgraded to modern OS, too). Fragmentation is also a ***** I don't want to fiddle around with.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Fragmentation is also a ***** I don't want to fiddle around with.
What fragmentation?

Is the f-07c out yet? Any way to import it?