Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by Pushwall View Post
Before you do that,.....I just remembered that the files in my zip file have the directory structure /usr/share/dosbox as part of the zip file. Try using xarchiver to place the files in this new zip file into /usr/share/dosbox (this zip file doesn't have the file structure associated with it).
I lost by backup copy of this and I keep getting an error of Dosbox not finding the config file.

I tried creating /usr/share/dosbox and put dosbox-0.73.conf in there but that didn't work.

Any help?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What about
/home/user/.dosbox ?

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Yeah, when I installed this it created /home/user/.dosbox but that's not where Dosbox looks for the config file.

I'm using the Diablo port by the way.

Hmm....

I seem to have installed 0.73-7maemo5.

That can't be right if I'm running Maemo 4, can't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Okay. Got it.

I just needed /home/user/.rubybox/dosbox.conf

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Great port of DOSBox to N900. It still requires some development but it is an amazing piece of software!!!

I have seen a little problem. Even after loading the rover.sys keyboard layout, the numbers are still not detected by some games. For example, the GoldenAxe for DOS shows a text screen to select the graphics mode just before starting the game. It is not possible to select any of the options with the numbers, they are not detected by the game. However, in the dos prompt the numbers are correctly written. Any idea?

Thanks and continue the good job, javispedro.

For Maemo 4 users.

dosbox goes in /usr/share/
and .dosbox goes in /home/user/
Attached Files
File Type: zip dosbox.zip (4.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: zip xdosbox.zip (23.2 KB, 100 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Lately, I'm getting strange error in terminal, after running anything in dosbox:

Code:
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
ALSA:Can't open sequencer
MIDI:Opened device:none
Obviously, any midi-based sounds (for example, running sound for Prince of Persia 2) doesn't work. Other forms of sound are working.

I tried every possible combination of MIDI options in dosbox itself, as well as installing Pali's timidity++ daemon, to no avail. Also, I could swear, that this wasn't the problem before and everything was "just working", even without timidity. Any hints?

On the other note, for a long time I'm searching for a way to map >< keys (greater, lesser) to something in dosbox, to no avail. I have those things mapped to hardware keyboard for whole Maemo (just like keys F1-F12), but it doesn't work in dosbox (while more exotic things - like mentioned F1-F12 - are working flawlessly, without even using dosbox's mapper). mapper in dosbox allows to map only 'lesser'. Those keys are crucial for some games, like "Silent Service 2", and it makes me a sad panda to have not a way of binding them. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I have those things mapped to hardware keyboard for whole Maemo (just like keys F1-F12), but it doesn't work in dosbox (while more exotic things - like mentioned F1-F12 - are working flawlessly, without even using dosbox's mapper).
DosBox's standalone mapper only maps keys to keyboard scancodes, so it can't map any key to "symbols" which would require modifiers to be pressed in order to be generated (e.g. on US layout at least <, > both require Shift to be pressed).

To be able to generate < you would need some "macro" that would press Shift, then ',', then release Shift, and I don't believe the DOSBox mapper supports that (at least the versions I worked with).

The rover.sys trick works at an alternate level (= DOS's keyb), where you can actually map keys to _strings_ and thus there's no problem if you want to configure a key to generate <, > or even the string "i can write δόφ!".
Unfortunately, because rover.sys is basically emulating DOS's keyb, it will only work with programs that worked with DOS's keyb. This is the reason for e.g.:

Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
Even after loading the rover.sys keyboard layout, the numbers are still not detected by some games. For example, the GoldenAxe for DOS shows a text screen to select the graphics mode just before starting the game. It is not possible to select any of the options with the numbers, they are not detected by the game. However, in the dos prompt the numbers are correctly written.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Yea, while searching, I've run into informations about <> keys working on different level, but it was very vague and I hadn't idea what do make out of it.

The game I'm interested in definitely works with DOS's keyb - numbers are working flawlessly (and stop doing so, if I skip keyb rover.sys us line). So, I understand that creating "custom" keyb.sys with those keys mapped would work? That's great to hear! Now I only need to find how the hell one creates DOS's keyb (duckduckgo/google time)
---

On the different record - I've noticed, that timidity as system wide daemon (timidity-daemon) does *not* work for Maemo, even after fixing dependency issues (it need freepats package, not timidity-freepats one). It pretends to start as daemon, but does nothing (in fact, 'status' command report, that it is not working, after all). So, no luck in getting working /dev/snd/seq to satisfy MIDI-requiring dos applications, yet.

Of course, I still doesn't have slightest clue, if it's reason for my errors in dosbox.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!