Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
What about stylus support?
What about the year 2005?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I was mainly using stylus in 2007-2009 on the maemo tablets and N900 - very nice for art with mypaint and mtpaint. No comparison to finger painting.

[EDIT] In addition, a lot of the early maemo tablet software was primitive ports from linux desktop software. To operate the UI and small elements, a stylus was absolutely necessary on the incredibly high dpi 800x480 screen.

While modern phone UIs have eliminated the need for a stylus to operate the applications, it remains a superior pointing device for artwork, if the screen supports high precision location.

[EDIT2]
I'll just add that I'm very skeptical of the size of this thing for thumb typing. I have a "Q9" bluetooth keyboard which is perhaps 25% wider than the n900 and that is the limit on width where my thumbs easily reach the center keys. The 6" screen on the F(x)tec Pro 1 is of course great for reading content, but the keyboard is so large, I will need to try before buy.

Will be enjoying the Dragonbox Pyra in the meantime...

Cheers.

Last edited by clort; 2019-03-26 at 00:10. Reason: additions

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by clort View Post
I was mainly using stylus in 2007-2009 on the maemo tablets and N900 - very nice for art with mypaint and mtpaint. No comparison to finger painting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
https://i.imgur.com/l0XhJRz.jpg
Did you not know about the N900 painting thread? (done with stylus)

etc
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50811

[EDIT] not that i'm saying resistive touchscreens are better for general purpose phone use, but it was very nice drawing with pressure sensitivity. One user (Creativetone) even made his own stylii with various hardness tips!

Given the creative potential offered by a stylus with pressure sensitivity and accurate positioning, I don't think it can be seriously dismissed with "So 2005"...

Last edited by clort; 2019-03-26 at 07:29. Reason: additions

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
didn't samsung just released a new model for their galaxy note series ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
didn't samsung just released a new model for their galaxy note series ?
Sure, but we all know that they are talking about resistive screens.
The Note series does not have resistive screens. Neither does the Microsoft Surface tablets. It's a totally different technique, which is much more expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
capacitive screen suck with stylus support so it won't work. no need of stylus when the touchsreen itself cannot recognize press square less than 1 cm / 0,5 cm.
Seems like someone does not live in 2019 right now....
Have you ever tried out a Note 8 or a 9?.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Spent a good chunk of the weekend reading this thread and just finished - wow!

Seems I'm a rare member with no nostalgia for qwerty phones but this looks great, I hope to be at the UK 'meet and test'.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
capacitive screen suck with stylus support so it won't work. no need of stylus when the touchsreen itself cannot recognize press square less than 1 cm / 0,5 cm.
Huh? Compared to a stylus, your fingers are really fat, and mobile operating systems designed to be controlled with your fingers make it so that there's a bit of give on what gets accepted as a press, because half the time, where you think you're pressing with your finger won't match up with the precise location you're actually pressing, and you'd get very stuttery scrolling. That doesn't mean the screens themselves can't recognise precise touches, it's the software behind the screens that's optimised for an entirely different use case.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
notes are not a good example since they use magnetic stylus or how's it called right. that means stylus not just press the screen, but connects to magnetic layer for all those fancy "tilt pen, press pen, hover pen" and so on. If we talk about touchscreen-only stylus, it works awful comparing to N900 resistive touchscreen stylus experience. and since I don't recall Chen promising any magnetic Note-like stylus support, the use of _any_ capacitive stylus would most likely suck just like any other capacitive device.

the only good example I know is tablet Samsung Galaxy Active 8, where capacitive touch works with fingernail or thin metal objects. but still, it's way too far from perfect N900 resistive stylus use.
still there's no cheap and easy way to do multitouch on resisitive touch screen afaik. Would take a multitouch capable screen over a non-multitouch capable screen. Also modern UI also are more forgiving and is designed such that absolute precision tapping is not required, which is a good thing in general IMHO. Having to use a sharp stylus to tap a tiny target is a torture.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit