Active Topics

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Montreal
Has there been any info/rumors about the specifications of the upcoming "Meego" Nokia device? What are your thoughts wishlist?

(If there is a thread like this already, then please point me to it).

Well since no one else seems to be responding, I will put my own speculation:

1. OMAP 3640 with 1GHz CPU
2. Overall form factor similar to N900 but perhaps with better keyboard.
3. Better camera.
4. HDMI output
5. AT&T/Rogers/Telus/Bell 3G band version please

My speculation for the upcoming meego device will be something similar to the N8 in terms of hardware in addition to the following:

1. Strong 3D + processing chips (at least 1GHZ) matching or out matching what is currently available on other high end devices.

2. 512MB will have to be the minimum in terms of RAM.

3. The phone should support all world 3G bands (EMEA, US (tmobile + att), Asia, etc) , just like what they have done on the N8. This will be a huge success for Nokia if they so desire to penetrate into the US market as this will give all customers on GSM carriers in North America an option to choose who they want to go to on the best device. hopefully striking deals with carriers to subsidize the phone (I will still buy the phone at full retail if that is not the case ).

2. Carl Zeiss lens is a must on all phones sporting the meego OS.

3. Slim solid build construction + uni body aluminum with a keyboard

4. HDMI output.

5. 4'' inch display should be the max.

6. Nokia customized Meego UX on the device.

8. Refer to the N8 specification

What I would like for nokia to release and what they will release are prob two very different things.

I would love a 4+ inch plus phone similar to the evo or droid x with an amoled screen the real kicker would be a resolution of 960x540 not sure how possible that would be.

Processor I want an arm cortex a9 dual core, once again not sure how possible that would be. OMAP4430 - 720 MHz dual-core
dedicated gpu I think the omap already has one built in.

Camera, same as the n8 doesn't have to be 12 megapixel but same type of lens and flash to take great pictures.

multi touch screen, that's a given.

Full ovi maps with turn by turn navigation.
HDMI out

1 gig ram, and very minimum 16 hd with micro sd card.

hdmi out

Same penta band 3g as the n8.

hardware accelerated ux just like the symbian^3 make the eye candy look pretty.

THIS is what I want

There could be sibling phones which are the same as that but differing in form-factor:
iPhone-like slab
QWERTY slide (not tilt)

And other one's like:
Slab with 1-9 number (T9) keys
Portrait slide with T9 keys
Blackberry-like form factor
Flip phone/clamshell
and other cool designs like the mid-flip/N8900/rotate QWERTY etc

And maybe another one which is the same as linked but cheaper and lacks some features (like GSM so it is purely console/PMP)

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-07-24 at 07:30.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I think we are going to see a n9 with these specs:

1 ghz Omap3
512mb ram
64gb build in memory
12mp camera with carl zeiss lens, 720p recording, dual led
4-row qwerty
gps with more proper ovi maps and digital compass
thinner than n900 with aluminium body
bluetooth 3.0 and wlan b,g,n
microsd card slot (32gb), micro usb, hdmi tv-out (720p)
1500mAh battery

Don't forget USB host / OTG. I wonder how thick the phone would have to be to fit a full USB port in. That would be awesome.

I'd like a 4.3" screen (probably still resistive as Easy Debian has small controlls) with hardware send/end call and menu buttons.

As for the OS, a kernal with CIFS/SMB support built in would be good. Anything really, as long as it't as least as open as Maemo.

Well in one of the Maemo6 presentations, it was said that it will still be based on OMAP3 (but not which OMAP3 hence my guess of upgrade to OMAP 3640) and still have WVGA resolution (good enough I guess). They did say multi-touch capacitive screens. And as the first "meego" device is basically still harmattan, and since you cant simply switch out the hardware from a device under development, I think all of these still hold true.

edit: Link http://www.slideshare.net/peterschne...ogy-highlights

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would loved to see an officaill meego for n900 instead of a new meego device with hw keyboard(n9?) and instead release some mainstream device without hw keyboard. then after a year or so release a relly good device with hw and a really good os.

I think meego will go in maemo's footsteps and be "unfinished" when its release later this year.

but nokias plan is, and has always been to pump out as many devices as possible. ready or not.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
Thought but not wished...

Obsolence in 6-18 months without OS only upgrade path