Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Here's a modification of the application manager that comes with diablo.

CHANGES:
  • Mvo's grid view patch added to replace the long list of rows when seeing available applications. (Replaced Jaffa's patch with mvo's one)
  • Jaffa & qwerty12's patch to enable toggling the legal warning in red pill mode (the setting gets carried over to blue pill).
  • Yerga's patch to enable the repository refresh button at the main screen in blue pill mode. (God knows why it was disabled anyway...)
  • In Red Pill mode, Show all packages & Show magic package is disabled by default to help prevent people from ****ing up their devices. (Taken from mvo's latest changes)
  • Red Pill setting is not persistent so when you restart h-a-m after being in red pill mode, it will revert back to blue pill mode. This behaviour can be overridded (but not recommended).
    (Taken from mvo's latest changes)
  • The Dependencies tab is shown in blue pill mode if enabled via the red pill mode settings dialog.
  • Settings changed to Settings... . Thanks to GeneralAntilles for noticing.
  • Grabbed package view renderer from 2.1 branch (contains LCARS fix)
  • Added Yerga's excellent repository display patch (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8&postcount=15)

Mvo's grid view patch.

Lookie at the new options.

Applications displayed properly with lcars theme.

Download (install at your own risk - use dpkg to do it though):
http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/appman/...mel.modded.deb

Original (if you think this modded version is a piece of ****):
http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/appman/...armel.orig.deb

Diff:
http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/appman/mod.diff

Of course, this is for diablo with the latest SSU. I've tested it on my device fine but like I said, install at your own risk.
If anyone has any other ideas (e.g stuff to be moved from red pill to blue pill) let me know. I'm not a programmer however and know **** all about GTK so if I can do it, I will ; if not...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-10-28 at 07:04.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hmmm... Sorry guys, but I don't know if I like it. I'll have to try it out first, though. The ideas are promising, but it's a bit on the utilitarian side (which I know is the purpose), but...still...a little ugly.

Tim

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
get **** to work first, then paint it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hehe, glad to see my swearing habit is continuing :P

Hehe, I agree, this is more utilitarian but can't deny it helps :P. At the moment, I'm installing LCARS because the colour bug with LCARS is fixed in the SVN and seeing if I can backport their fix to benefit us

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-10-27 at 16:08.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Hehe, glad to see my swearing habit is continuing :P
i got the vocal habits of a old sailor at times...

Ok, updated package!

Use the same link.

What's new:
  • Replaced Jaffa's cell view patch with mvo's one. (Fits on screen better)
  • Replaced package cell renderer with newer one to provide a fix for lcars not being able to see package names properly.

BTW, it may be true that a official release of new h-a-m may be out for diablo so hopefully, it contains the functions of the mod (should do as I stole most of them anyway :P) but if not, I will remod it when it comes.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
It is an improvement, very much appreciated, but... its not enough.

Lets assume I just bought a N810. I open the Application Manager because I want to install Canola.

Now I see All. But All includes all categories. There is no user feedback in the GUI about this.

Then there are a lot of doubles like email and mail, comm and Communication. Isn't email/mail communication? Boingo, whatever that may be, is a seperate category. Why not LogMeIn as well a seperate category? And while you're at it, Canola as well? *rolleyes* And, then the one called Applications. Aren't these all applications? A user would ask: what the hell is an interpreter? Doc should be Documenation.

Why not have a more tree-based viewing. For example, several modes in which one can select how it is sorted.
User -> Communication
Developer -> Interpreter

Open Source -> ...
Proprietary -> ...

Offline -> ...
Online -> ...

Like tags.

Ofcourse, the current one stays default, but more cleaned up.

blame the packagers. iirc, its from them the categories comes from, not the app manager itself...

btw, most of canola is in multimedia now. the only thing left in "canola" is canola-tuning, a collection of python scripts...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
blame the packagers. iirc, its from them the categories comes from, not the app manager itself...

btw, most of canola is in multimedia now. the only thing left in "canola" is canola-tuning, a collection of python scripts...
"Merge non-standard categories in Misc."

Or refuse to install with weird categories unless overridden.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
If anyone has any other ideas (e.g stuff to be moved from red pill to blue pill) let me know. I'm not a programmer however and know **** all about GTK so if I can do it, I will ; if not...
If you are bored, you could try add a feature from this branch: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...hildon-app-mgr

That version show the repo where the package is from, in the details dialog. At the moment I don't know in what file the function could be, but sure you can to find it easily

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post: