Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Jaffa? He's the current chair.
Apparently like you, my attempts at humor are overlooked

Where is that humor button??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I have been told by the council members that I am tearing this community apart.
As much irritation as you have caused me, I would say it's more the opposite.

That's saying something, believe me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Excuse me. I don't remember saying anything like this.

Tim
As I reread this again, I should have said

"I have been told a council member that I am tearing this community apart."

I didn't mean to imply the entire council felt this way.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As much irritation as you have caused me, I would say it's more the opposite.

That's saying something, believe me.
I am confused , so your saying the community is tearing me apart?

Maybe I need more coffee, but I am not exactly sure what you re trying to say?

this is almost funny. but it's not, in fact it's sad.

it's like a text book socio experiment - take a great forum, a hand-off moderator approach, a lively, daily source of info and fun and run it for three years.

now add nokia funding, an 'elected' 'community council' that's meant to represent the wishes of the community, and top of with some mods.

this is what we get - a corporate, unified image for the forum whcih doesn't go down well with a high percentage of the users, a distinct "if you don't like the changes, tough" attitude, several un-called for posts from the likes of GA, not to mention the expected things like merging of sub-forums that deal with un-nokia aspects that have previously been of interest to users.

it's a shame.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I am confused , so your saying the community is tearing me apart?
I do believe the Good Rat sees you as a uniter, not a divider.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Its not happened often, but Texrat and I do occasionally agree.

More coffee it is,

And he is right, that really is saying something...

Its not happened often, but Texrat and I do occasionally agree.

More coffee it is,

And he is right, that really is saying something...
When I defend someone who is normally an antagonist (to me), it isn't done lightly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
this is almost funny. but it's not, in fact it's sad.

it's like a text book socio experiment - take a great forum, a hand-off moderator approach, a lively, daily source of info and fun and run it for three years.

now add nokia funding, an 'elected' 'community council' that's meant to represent the wishes of the community, and top of with some mods.

this is what we get - a corporate, unified image for the forum whcih doesn't go down well with a high percentage of the users, a distinct "if you don't like the changes, tough" attitude, several un-called for posts from the likes of GA, not to mention the expected things like merging of sub-forums that deal with un-nokia aspects that have previously been of interest to users.

it's a shame.
I have no issue with the goals and good intentions. And there are bound to be growing and transitional pains involved in an undertaking like this. I believed a few years ago and still do now that there should have been more Nokia involvement/leadership (but not control) with the community at the outset but that's the past. Going forward I hope to see this community survive what should be a temporary bump in the road. But I am discouraged by some council member attitudes... and I fully (and sadly) expect that to be reinforced by subsequent replies to this topic.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I've created a monster.... when i made this thread, i made it because the information in penguinbait's poll was lost among the 70+ posts and most users cant be bothered sifting through all those posts. As these things go, it looks like the thread has whittled down to a few members that come and post here everyday, discouraging input from other members. Don't get me wrong, its good that the most vocal people on both sides continue to debate the issues, but it has once again become inaccessible to users that are hesitant to contribute arguements/issues that may have already been discussed. Welcome to the wonderful world of forums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post: