Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Here's a clue:
That analyst? Speaking from his 90% allotment! LOL
I've gotta call a whiskey, tango, foxtrot on that big guy... I don't know what happened but I see 3 successive posts by you. Are you replying to yourself or was this thread edited.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
otherwise the American FOSS crowd may end up supporting the wrong platform just because it's Google.
"because it's Google"? wouldn't that be "even though it's google"? people who are interested in free software etc. usually stay away as far away as possible from google. bad, bad reputation.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
By the way, I had absolutely no idea that chris WAS an analyst. What I said was partially a joke and it's through experiences where I had inside info on quite a few different things (completely unrelated to tablets, Nokia, cell phones, etc...) only to hear analysts "guarantee" things that were completely wrong.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
"because it's Google"? wouldn't that be "even though it's google"? people who are interested in free software etc. usually stay away as far away as possible from google. bad, bad reputation.
Google has plenty of misguided Linux followers who don't understand why it's not enough to use the kernel to run a virtual machine.

Please 'scuse the ignorance, as i've been under the (un?)friendly confines of sprint since..forever.. but how are issues handled with unlocked phones via carrier insurance?

Say i buy the N900 unlocked and the phone acts up, needs servicing or replacing.. do i turn to Nokia, or the carrier its under?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Go to local Chinatown. Find shady looking phone shop. Find N900. Get 2 line T-Mobile family plan. Get free N900.

I did this when the N95-1 first came out. The receipt said $800 but I only paid for the activation.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
Say i buy the N900 unlocked and the phone acts up, needs servicing or replacing.. do i turn to Nokia, or the carrier its under?
Treat it like any hardware purchase.

If you don't buy from the carrier you cannot expect hardware support from them.

Support would be from Nokia. Maybe seller if problems occur shortly after purchase.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hey! I'm full of it 95% of the time. Don't shortchange this analyst's BS!
Don't worry dude, 4/3 people have trouble with fractions and 87% of statistics on the internet are made up.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Treat it like any hardware purchase.

If you don't buy from the carrier you cannot expect hardware support from them.

Support would be from Nokia. Maybe seller if problems occur shortly after purchase.
Well the reason i ask is because i've never purchased a phone directly from Sprint, yet their insurance always covered any issues i've had..replacements or otherwise(Touch Pro at the moment, purchased from a private party).
But Thanks for the info!

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by ming387 View Post
Totally agree on opinions of analyst have worthless opinions.

(corrected in respect to texrat)

@christexaport
I don't think the maemo community know much about symbian-freak since s60 got nothing to do with the people here... lol
You must not know the direction Symbian is headed in, then! Symbian and Maemo will be forever tied when Symbian^4 is released, because the main app developer toolkit will be based on Qt, and pretty much any Qt app on Maemo will be easily ported to Symbian as well. And despite the rumors, Symbian isn't dead. It fits a niche Maemo isn't suited for. The N900 is an almost minimum hardware setup for Maemo, requiring 3D for the UI, etc., whereas Symbian is more versatile as far as hardware is concerned.

so Symbian and Maemo are of the same bloodline come 18 months from now.