Active Topics

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Thanks for reporting. I don't have that many
[snip]
EDIT: BTW, I think you meant 'HotSync', not 'Active Sync'.. the latter is Microsoft's very poor hotsync lookalike, for PPC/Windows Mobile..
That's a hoot. As I was typing that, I was trying to remember which was which. I've used both, and yes, HotSync is miles better.

Originally Posted by migs View Post
Well, I believe the current version expires November 30 2008 so maybe we can expect an updated version within the next 10 days?
Just got an notice to download new version from Access. Tried the install and libraries are missing so no update this time. I wrote to support and the webmaster wrote back and told me to update my maemo os. That has been flashed for months already. I will stay with the old beta of Garnet VM for now.

I don't want to cross post my response because there is an active Garnet VM beta 3 discussion. So, here's my answer.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I am missing this too from the Garnet VM. Assuming the VM behaves like a normal OS5 device (allowing arm hacks, slot libraries...) a PalmOS slot/filesystem driver could be written that accessed a Maemo-exported filesystem (or even a single folder) using the loopback network connection, which seems available to the VM. Not so fast as a native VM exit, but quite good I think.

Advantages over RAMDrive: NIT's SD Card can be mounted/exported to PalmOS. Easy(ier) file sharing between Maemo & POS.
Advantages over hypothetical "GVM Beta 4" with SDCard Support: Right now I don't believe GVM will get another upgrade anytime soon...
Disadvantages: documentation for OS5 slot/filesystem driver probably missing/outdated.

(BTW, first post -- just bought a used N810, already enjoying it -- I used to be a Palm fanboy, but my T|X broke, and I dislike Palm,Inc. newer devices).

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-02-14 at 13:01.

Good news everyone! I managed to mount a card on Garnet VM!

"Card emulation" (a.k.a. HostFS) support is in GarnetVM. However, and don't ask me why, GVM folks do not distribute "gras-client" ARM binary, a "GVM remote control" which is needed to actually mount a filesystem and set up the card emulation.

No need to worry! I used gras-client (and a few socat tunnels) on my x86 computer to do the job:

Code:
>mountvol /media/mmc1 
Volume [/media/mmc1] mounted (RW) successfully on ID: 1
/PALM/start.prc not found in this volume
Wonder of wonders, the setting actually survives closing and relaunching GVM!

A few hints:
You can get GVM for x86 from the ACCESS website.
On the x86 side:
$ socat tcp-listen:34130 tcp-connect:tablet:12000
On the tablet side:
$ socat tcp-listen:12000 tcp-connect:localhost:34130
$ /usr/bin/gvm/gvm -G
(launch GVM with gras server enabled)

Now, to trick PC's gras-client into believing he is talking to a local gvm, just launch gvm on the PC too. It won't be able to open the 34130 port again, and gras-client will talk to the tablet's GVM instance instead.

So launch gras-client, and do "mountvol /media/mmc1"
(be careful; after every gras-client command the socat tunnel will need to be restarted)

Sorry for the possibly too short explanation, It's late and I'm tired.
Obligatory useless screenshot:

There's now an easier way for doing this!! Keep reading, it's just a few posts down.

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-08-05 at 00:06. Reason: Updating links

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Thanks a lot. Will try. I was trying to make HostFS working from PalmOS side of gvm but got nowhere. As default, HostControl API is implemented but the only interesting method supported is HostTraceOutput, The HostF* API which is used by HostFS filesystem library to implement virtual card did not work for me (EDIT: see below). I tried also various hostfs.prc libraries for both simulator and emulator but with no success.

Did not know about gras-client and GRAS server feature. Many thanks.

EDIT: If you want, check output of HostFSTest.prc inside HostFSTest.zip with card enabled. See the code in testHostFS() in src/AppMain.c. Basically all I got is Hello World from HostTraceOutput, nothing more. It did a bit more in Garnet 5.x Simulator.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-04-07 at 08:19.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Wonder of wonders, the setting actually survives closing and relaunching GVM!
Could you upload some blank .gvm/gvm.store with card enabled? Or maybe it is stored somewhere in settings in .gvm/ ?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Or maybe it is stored somewhere in settings in .gvm/ ?
Turns out that it's just a file kept in .gvm/cards. For example, after following javispedro's instructions, I have the following in .gvm/cards/0:

Code:
/media/mmc1
RW
Additional cards can be added by creating .gvm/cards/1, .gvm/cards/2, etc. with the appropriate contents. Changing RW to RO does exactly what you expect -- prevents gvm from modifying the contents of that directory.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Turns out that it's just a file kept in .gvm/cards.
Nice! So all one has to do to "mount" the external SD card into GVM's slot 0 is:
Code:
$ mkdir ~/.gvm/cards
$ echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
EDIT: If you want, check output of HostFSTest.prc inside HostFSTest.zip with card enabled. See the code in testHostFS() in src/AppMain.c. Basically all I got is Hello World from HostTraceOutput, nothing more.
Same result on the X86 GVM.

Reading the docs, it would seem to me that ACCESS wants GVM to behave exactly like a real POS device would do; no reason to fully implementing the Host manager.

Time to understand why Plucker & Power48 are crashing ARM GVM but not X86 GVM...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Wow. Just made .gvm/cards/0 file by hand and it works :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm