Notices

*** UPDATE ***

Here are the instructions:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=24

*** UPDATE ***

I have been playing with my Nokia N900 for a while now and because I have a bad habit of losing things, I decided to make a small script that outputs device GPS coordinates directly to a computer connected to internet. That way I could always check from the Internet where my device is. Granted, GPS is not very accurate, but I would know where my N900 is by checking from a webpage. In worst case, if it is stolen, I would know where it is and I would have a better chance of retrieving it.

I decided to add more functions to my script and soon it also sended device IP-numbers and last 10 calls and messages to the webpage. Well, it didn't stop to that. So now I have somekind of web interface for my N900. Heavily protected and not always on. I can just change one file on my webserver and N900 reads it after a while and starts webserver on the device. So basicly I can do almost everything the device is capable of.

The interface runs on Lighttpd + PHP. At this time, all the scripts and everything are pretty much done only just for me, but I'm planning to make them generic so anyone else interested could use this.

When the webserver is running on the N900 and I point my browser to it, it asks for a username and password. Then I get following view that shows my shared files. I just copy files to a certain folder on my N900 and then I can download them to other devices via this shared web folder.

I can also check my device info (uptime, network connections, battery level):

10 Last calls taken directly from the database after user opens the page. In case someone stoles your mobile phone and calls to someone with it, you won't get those numbers from the operator. You will get a list of called numbers, but it is in format (e.g.) 040 123 4###, last three numbers hidden. Only by court order can you get these numbers. This way I get the numbers nicely from the device itself. Oh, and it is legal this way also:

10 last messages. In case I left my phone home, it gets stolen or lost, I can check messages via this page.

Then comes the best part. Here you can see many buttons and text areas. I can give any custom commands via this interface to my N900 via "Custom Command:" - box. Start and stop services, copy or delete files, basically anything that can be done with N900. To make things easier and faster, I have added some commands to this page. I can notify user, send SMS messages (and it shows how many characters I have entered), give SQL queries to message/call - database, make the device to call some number (usefull if the device is indeed stolen), open a web page to N900 browser, open some application, lock or unlock phone, start x11vnc service so I can remotely control my N900 from PC, check processes, check disk usage, end call, take photos with front or back (main) camera, list contacts and check GPS coordinates. These are just a start, I'll add more all the time.

If anyone is interested, I'll make this more generic and public someday. There is still lot to improve and make things nicer, but it is a start nevertheless.

JMV
www.jmv.fi
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...."

Last edited by jvesiluoma; 2010-11-02 at 09:08. Reason: screenshot about messages was missing, corrected some typos...

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to jvesiluoma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
definitely interested!

Yes Yes, very interested

Is there a working DynDNS client for N900, or how would you know the IP of the stolen phone when it'll be connected to internet again?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shittown
Originally Posted by Noma View Post
Is there a working DynDNS client for N900, ...?
Just a word: inadyn

You can install it from the original debian repos.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
would it be the ARMEL version on this site ? http://packages.debian.org/sid/inadyn

Originally Posted by Noma View Post
Is there a working DynDNS client for N900, or how would you know the IP of the stolen phone when it'll be connected to internet again?
Yes, and you can report your IP to DynDNS via script also.

Personaly, I don't like the thought of having a constant pointer to my N900, because it increases the risk of hacking it. My method is to upload IP address via SSH to a computer on the internet. I have a script that does just that and makes a webpage with a http link to my N900 with correct IP and google maps links where my N900 is...

So I can just go to that webpage, click a link and login to that web interface and do what ever I want.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by jvesiluoma View Post
...There is still lot to improve and make things nicer, but it is a start nevertheless.

// Jarkko
Wow!!

I would say you know how to start anywere!

Very, very interested too.

Thanks for your efforts.

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ This world :)
Definitely like to see an app for this.

Awesome, I like the remote control aspect of this.

WoW, i am really interesting to see this app come to n900 asap .. that help a lot ..

request feature:
*always online lock : so phone will connect to internet all time if phone on or try pick up wifi.
-if phone got stolen and theif turn off and switch sim or take sim out turn on and try to make sure phone wont go online.. by doing so phone will try to broadcast it self location in anyway possible .. this lock will be unlock with master code if user do not have code phone will try to find away to go online.