I dont want to discuss the pros and cons, for me its massively important and for me fMMS (as it stands) with its current lack of integration makes it unusable.Please can someone confirm/deny that Nokia wont officially support MMS. (a standard function for all mobile 3g/GSM devices).

its not on the spec list on HERE so I guess thats a no-go

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
FYI, I think Nokia stated that the N900 will not support MMS when the promotion started. I don't think you've read the fine print that there is no MMS mention in the specification.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Before you buy the device you should have a read of the specification. MMS won't be officially support by Nokia, similar to FM radio, the components are there but it is for the developers to make use of it. This is the reason why Nokia stated that it is an OPENSOURCE linux device.

There is no need to posting questions again and again.. The answer is NO. If Nokia stated that the N900 support MMS on their specification site then the Nokia will be supporting it somehow. But they did not stated that the N900 supporting officially on paper right now..

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bethesda, MD
Why is MMS so important to you an others? I just dont see the need for it given the integration of push email and other push like services such as sky and google talk. MMS also usually costs significantly more per use than a regular text.

Just wondering....

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post
Just wondering....
I bet you'll find your answer on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
FYI, I think Nokia stated that the N900 will not support MMS when the promotion started. I don't think you've read the fine print that there is no MMS mention in the specification.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Before you buy the device you should have a read of the specification. MMS won't be officially support by Nokia, similar to FM radio, the components are there but it is for the developers to make use of it. This is the reason why Nokia stated that it is an OPENSOURCE linux device.

There is no need to posting questions again and again.. The answer is NO. If Nokia stated that the N900 support MMS on their specification site then the Nokia will be supporting it somehow. But they did not stated that the N900 supporting officially on paper right now..
I read the specification - the implication was however that it WOULD support MMS, and infact (to a lesser extent) that it would support portrait mode (as implied by Nokia representatives).

err I havent posted this question again and again, and looking in the search section I couldnt see a definitive answer.

Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post
Why is MMS so important to you an others? I just dont see the need for it given the integration of push email and other push like services such as sky and google talk. MMS also usually costs significantly more per use than a regular text.

Just wondering....
To instantly send a photo to a friend on a smartphone - ie the vast majority of people. Email is not the same.

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-03-10 at 00:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Pittsburgh
a quick snap of a pic n then txt it to the person u want to have see, they can then see quite quickly and effortlessly.... it's important because it's a common thing. So far, it is the thing I dislike most about the n900. Not a dealbreaker, obviously, but my buddies can't send me pics of ta-ta's, and I hate it. fMMS is ok, but a chore to use each time a nudie comes in.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Chrisp7:

I am just wondering why you haven't posted to the fMMS thread telling the developer what you want. Is there something about MMS support that can't be provided by an individual but can only be provided by an incorporated entity?

By the way, I have seen it posted by Nokia employees saying officially that Nokia will never provide MMS support for the N900. So that seems final.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-03-10 at 00:34.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
I read the specification - the implication was however that it WOULD support MMS, and infact (to a lesser extent) that it would support portrait mode (as implied by Nokia representatives).

err I havent posted this question again and again, and looking in the search section I couldnt see a definitive answer.
Portrait mode may not be officially support by Nokia, it may or may not one day support by the community here. People already brainstorming on how to proceed on this matter here.

Same goes as MMS is being support be the community right now. fMMS is the application you may need to install to make your device MMS-able. In my point of view MMS is not important in my everyday life. I barely touched it at all on my other MMS capable devices.

The only time I gave it a played is when it first came out, otherwise it's a technology that outdated and inefficient and could also lead to bullying in schooling as well.

I don't find MMS a must have functionality toward N900. That may be just me though.

Simple solution:

If you want to MMS a friend then buy a cheap phone for that purpose otherwise email them.

FYI, Nokia N900 is not a SMART PHONE; It is a Mobile Computing Device + Phone capability. Which for short "Internet tablet phone"

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-03-10 at 00:39.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Chrisp7:

I am just wondering why you haven't posted to the fMMS thread telling the developer what you want. Is there something about MMS support that can't be provided by an individual but can only be provided by an incorporated entity?
Yes. proper integration to conversation app. Seamless integration to mobile networks (impossible). To receive MMS's I have to connect via a non standard internet connection - making fMMS unworkable for me and many others.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fmms, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, rehash