Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
^^yeah higeht of tweaking going to get me a n900 again damm: worst device ever. No Alternative

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Just got my delivery of a brand new N900

My N9 has served me well for the last year since my last N900 broke, but it's time for it to take the backseat for something more powerful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
I go with a lot of what everyone else says here.
Depends what you want to use it for, but to be honest, the efforts of this community should help make up your mind for you.
It was the first device to do a lot of things that other newer and yet to be released devices still can't do thanks to all the guys here. Just have a look around and see what's possible.

For the age of the hardware, I think it still does a damn good job too.
It still lets me manage my forum through the admin panel, which includes adding new features, managing user accounts and banning the unruly members. I haven't yet found another device that lets me view my forum as it looks on my PC, let alone access the admin panel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Just got my delivery of a brand new N900

My N9 has served me well for the last year since my last N900 broke, but it's time for it to take the backseat for something more powerful.
Where did you get it brand new? In 2013? I so want this

The Following User Says Thank You to ricardosteve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Dubai , United Arab Emirates
Here's my two cents.

I've had my N900 with me since November 2010. Recently, in the month of March I replaced it with a HTC One X+, and I gotta say, I haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong, the N900 is the ABSOLUTE BEST phone out there when it comes to a lot of stuff, but at the end of the day, sometimes all you want to do is just download some stupid app to kill a few minutes, listen to some music etc. The N900 CAN do these things, it just won't do it nicely, especially once you get into the deep end.

The phone can brilliant throughout the day, cope with anything you throw at it, and then suddenly, it just slows down. Like it just ran into quicksand. And that's the problem; a casual consumer doesn't want to cope with stuff like this, they just want a phone that works. I absolutely love my N900, heck , I still use it everyday as my companion phone, but for most intents and purposes, my One X+ does it all smoothly and quickly.

Bottom line : The N900 is an awesome phone, but be ready to learn a lot of stuff and deal with deep stuff everyday.

Don't want to scare you off :P

The Following User Says Thank You to dipack95 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This one is advertised as new for £269.99 + £4.59 UK delivery. I haven't checked delivery to Portugal. Nor can I vouch for item or seller authenticity, but Amazon is usually better than eBay in this regard.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by dipack95 View Post
Here's my two cents.

I've had my N900 with me since November 2010. Recently, in the month of March I replaced it with a HTC One X+, and I gotta say, I haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong, the N900 is the ABSOLUTE BEST phone out there when it comes to a lot of stuff
Actually, as a phone, the N900 is ok but not that good. It's probably the one part that, out of the box, does not work that well at all...

but at the end of the day, sometimes all you want to do is just download some stupid app to kill a few minutes, listen to some music etc. The N900 CAN do these things, it just won't do it nicely, especially once you get into the deep end.
So how does that work for you? I compiled and installed MPD on both my N900's this week, allowing them both to be used now as a music server. The other way around works just as well. I have two N900's and a N9, all three can connect to my main music server and remote control them.

Also this past month, I installed ScummVM simultaneously on one of my N900's as well as my girlfriends Galaxy S2. No way ever ever, would I trade the convenience of my hardware keyboard to that of a virtual keyboard.

But aside from ScummVM there's been quite a few games that were pretty impressive. Zenbound, for instance. And if you want, you can play a plethora of games by simply installing preenv with a minimum of effort.

The phone can brilliant throughout the day, cope with anything you throw at it, and then suddenly, it just slows down. Like it just ran into quicksand.
Any machine / device that allows you as much freedom as the N900 does will at some point slow down when you start indiscriminately installing stuff to it, without doing any maintenance. It's not the machines fault, but the owners' fault.

And that's the problem; a casual consumer doesn't want to cope with stuff like this, they just want a phone that works.
Geeks are no "casual consumers". Nope. The're not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ricardosteve View Post
Where did you get it brand new? In 2013? I so want this
http://negrielectronics.com/nokia-n9...ck-p-2709.html

Negri Electronics is selling it for about $220 at the moment. I was thinking of getting one as backup since no other phones appeal to me, but I think I'll see how Ubuntu tablet edition develops instead. That on a T-Mobile Nexus 7 seems pretty neat to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZedThou For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, worldinyourhand