I don't know what's the big deal and why it's so hard to have MMS on a phone. My sorry 5 yrs old phone even got an MMS!! So when i heard story that iPhone doesn't have MMS for yrs and N900 doesn't have MMS....man that is rediculous.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I don't know what's the big deal and why it's so hard to have MMS on a phone. My sorry 5 yrs old phone even got an MMS!
Fifteen years ago, my desktop computer could transmit Morse code over a phone line. ATD;-.-./--.--H0 Somehow, that feature is hard to find in computers today.

More seriously, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) is the problem. MMS support requires WAP support.

Older phones (and new phones that run operating systems with some history in the mobile space) support WAP because once upon a time, WAP + Wireless Markup Language (WML) were the Big Things that were going to bring the web to small screens on underpowered mobile devices. Mobiles had to support it. It was unlocking the web. It was the future!

Then web developers, by and large, skipped making their sites available in WML because doing so was a pain. Meanwhile, the screens and processors on mobile devices both continued to improve, and bringing real web browsers that could use the real web to mobile devices became the new Big Thing.

Mobile operating systems that lived through the time when WAP was king kept it around afterward, of course. However, iPhone OS and Maemo came later.

In both cases, the development teams had to decide which features were important enough to warrant the investment of limited resources--time, money, and talent--during that hectic rush to meet deadlines. In both cases, legacy technologies such as WAP, now with limited use, didn't make the cut.

Thankfully, the Maemo community is already working out what will be necessary to add WAP and MMS support to Maemo 5 though, so barring any towering, unforeseen barriers, you shouldn't be without MMS on your N900 for long.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
and that sounds to me what the nokia people where talking about, that the kernel could not handle multiple connections at the same time, or something...
The Linux kernel can handle 2 PPP interfaces just fine Do you have a link to this discussion you're referring to?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The Linux kernel can handle 2 PPP interfaces just fine Do you have a link to this discussion you're referring to?
i think it showed up in one of the massive N900 threads that spawned when the "bomb" dropped right before nokia world...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
My pet theory on the "no-MMS on the N900 is due to a Linux kernel issue" meme:

A recent batch of Memory Management Subsystem commits leads someone to comment that MMS in Linux OMAP is seeing drastic improvements just in time for Maemo 5. Someone else with a less kernel-oriented mindset misunderstands that "MMS" to be Multimedia Messaging Service, and away we go.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-10-01 at 17:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
For translating a client application to C, I would start here: Android MMS App

If changes are needed in the kernel, I would do some Fremantle kernel diffs

here: Android kernel OMAP

and here: Android kernel common

I'm assuming of course that MMS works on Android phones. And if MMS has worked on Android phones from the beginning, the information needed should be somewhere in these Android projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The Linux kernel can handle 2 PPP interfaces just fine
It can, but routing and DNS are going to be "interesting".

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
For translating a client application to C, I would start here: Android MMS App

If changes are needed in the kernel, I would do some Fremantle kernel diffs

here: Android kernel OMAP

and here: Android kernel common

I'm assuming of course that MMS works on Android phones. And if MMS has worked on Android phones from the beginning, the information needed should be somewhere in these Android projects.
Nice stuff!

EDIT: Finding stuff now.
The MMS pdu's are at http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...a24d2d;hb=HEAD
Context packages are at http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...297ab6;hb=HEAD

EDIT2: It seems they do all MMS send/recv over HTTP - or did I miss some vital part?

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2009-10-02 at 21:04. Reason: added some links to different packages

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
The wiki has been updated some.

If someone got the time, please extract the knowledge from http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23mae...10-03T16:23:59 and add it to http://wiki.maemo.org/Mms_implemention_conversation for future reference, thank you!

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
I added info about another MMS decoder implementation (C++) into http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS_implementation. This one can be compiled in standard Debian and some other systems. If you need help in understanding it/understanding decoding MMS files at all/sending MMS push over SMS, I can help a little - please contact me only.

Last edited by marcinw; 2009-10-05 at 22:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marcinw For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainstorm, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900