Active Topics

I am extremely green and trying to learn how to do how to operate this tablet. How do I access MSN Messenger? When I try to sign in the usual way it wants me to download MSN Messenger and the tablet does not recognize .exe programs. When I log into Web Messenger I don't see it clearly at all - does anyone use MSN Messenger and how do you access it?

Thanks,

(P.S.: get ready to get lots of questions from you as I'm sure it will be a while before I get the hang of it- Sorry).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kally For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Kally, as a noob I would suggest starting with Pidgin which can be installed through the Application manager if you have enabled Maemo Extras. The other way would be through the rtcomm beta.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
Kally,
due to the way you ask your question, i suggest that you are not
very much into the IM stuff. So to help you out a bit more then
the answer before:

pidgin is an IM that can "communicate" to a lot of other IM
systems like MSN, AOL, Google Talk, Yahoo etc.
You need to start pidgin and there add your MSN profile.
From that point on, Pidgin will be a replacement so that you do
not need to install MSN, but use Pidgin.

The advantage of it: if you also use ICQ, Yahoo, AOL or any other
chat tool, you do not need to start all of them when you turn
your computer/device on - you only need to start pidgin!

Hope that was some how of help and about your questions
quote: ain't that the reason why forums do exist

Greetings from Hamburg,
Carlos
http://www.mojocafe.net

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endorphinum For This Useful Post:
Thank you so much brontide and endrorphinum. Your assumption Carolos is correct I am really really really not familiar with much so it will be a total learning experience. Thank you for the additional information. Brontide mentioned that I have to enable Maemo Extras to install pidgin - can one of you tell me where I go to enable that feature. Thanks so much and please be patient with me.

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Kally - try this and let us know:

go to Settings - Application manager

select the menu and Tools - Application catalog

select maemo Extras in the list and press the Edit button

make sure that the Disabled checkbox is not checked

press OK and Close

Refresh the list

press Browse installable applications

scroll down to the instantmessaging button

From here you can install the Pidgin Internet Messenger

you might also want Pidgin Sounds and the Default Smiley Theme

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
If you have a n810 ( or n800 with os2008 ) open this link on the nokia and click "Install"

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/pidgin/

If you have a n800 with os2007 open this link and click install

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/pidgin/

Thank you so much brontide - I will try it when I get home because I am at work and the network here is locked so I can't access the internet with the tablet. I will let you know - thanks for everything.

Tabster - thank you very much - your instructions are very clear and I will follow them as soon as I can connect to the internet.

Thank you so much and stay tuned for my next panic which I'm sure will be soon enough - but I do love this toy and playing with it!!!

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by Kally View Post
Tabster - thank you very much - your instructions are very clear and I will follow them as soon as I can connect to the internet.

Thank you so much and stay tuned for my next panic which I'm sure will be soon enough - but I do love this toy and playing with it!!!
yw

If you don't see maemo Extras in the App Managers list then you can get it from the link that brontide supplied. That link would be easier all around but my steps might help seeing what is going on. your choice

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU ALL!!! Tabster your instructions were great and since they worked immediately I didn't have to do anything else.

This site is great and for sure I will be asking tons of questions as I play with it and I will be doing tons of reading.