I'm sure this question has been answered before but I couldn't fine any threads on it specifically. So what is better Inception or OpenMode?

Edit:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
OpenMode
By default openmode has Aegis enabled (its always present). Openmode offers you to have AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN export, so you can install any package that you like as com.nokia.maemo. But the negative side is that CAL is locked, so you cannot set your lock code. There also exists open mode kernel which has more relaxed aegis rules, it allows you to run aegis protected capabilities without you first enabling them for example with opensh. But still aegis runs in background.

VS Inception
Where as inception allows you to replace system packages with fixed hacked origin in secure mode. Aegis is still enabled like in all the other possibilities.

VS Opensh
opensh gives you all the capabilites, so you basicly have all the linux features available in secure mode.Aegis is still enabled like in all the other possibilities.

Last edited by Vromoth; 2013-05-06 at 04:49. Reason: Updating

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vromoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
OpenMode is pure linux way. root is root, all linux features avialable to use.
Inception is only way for installing applications. It's not give you to control system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
OpenMode is pure linux way. root is root, all linux features avialable to use.
Inception is only way for installing applications. It's not give you to control system.
Not really.

By default openmode has Aegis enabled (its always present).
Openmode offers you to have AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN export, so you can install any package that you like as com.nokia.maemo. But the negative side is that CAL is locked, so you cannot set your lock code. There also exists open mode kernel which has more relaxed aegis rules, it allows you to run aegis protected capabilities without you first enabling them for example with opensh. But still aegis runs in background.

VS

Where as inception allows you to replace system packages with fixed hacked origin in secure mode. Aegis is still enabled like in all the other possibilities.

VS

opensh gives you all the capabilites, so you basicly have all the linux features available in secure mode.Aegis is still enabled like in all the other possibilities.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-05-05 at 08:46.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Serbia
Is it possible to install aegisctrl and inception on openkernel???

I have a problem with the installation package using dpkg -i ...on openkernel mode. how to fix that???

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
I have default openmode and inception installed. (First inception then OM, so I don't know if it's possible the other way around)
By that I have ariadne installed as an substitute for opensh as I understand it?

Is it possible to use ariadne on the top/default so to speak to give access to CAL and set the lock code or is it needed to start all over again?

Last edited by Garp; 2013-05-05 at 11:40.

Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I have default openmode and inception installed.
By that I have ariadne installed as an substitute for opensh as I understand it?

Is it possible to use ariadne on the top/default so to speak to give access to CAL and set the lock code or is it needed to start all over again?
In openmode CAL is permanently locked. Only way to access CAL is to refhash back to secure mode.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dex87 View Post
Is it possible to install aegisctrl and inception on openkernel???

I have a problem with the installation package using dpkg -i ...on openkernel mode. how to fix that???
In openmode you dont have to use inception. You can just install stuff like this:

AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo dpkg -i package.deb

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Not really.

Openmode offers you to have AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN export, so you can install any package that you like as com.nokia.maemo. But the negative side is that CAL is locked, so you cannot set your lock code. There also exists open mode kernel which has more relaxed aegis rules, it allows you to run aegis protected capabilities without you first enabling them for example with opensh. But still aegis runs in background.

VS

VS

But with Inception you have ariadne installed as an substitutte for opensh as I understand it. What is then the different between this and your second VS (opensh)?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@rainisto: Thanks for this explanation, now it should be clear to everybody.

But one thing I wanted you to ask already in another thread:
There also exists open mode kernel which has more relaxed aegis rules, ...
Do I understand that right, that there is a possibility to be in open mode without flashing an open mode kernel?
Or did I miss something totally badly?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-05-05 at 11:51.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@rainisto: Thanks for this explanation, now it should be clear to everybody.

But one thing I wanted you to ask already in another thread:

Do I understand that right, that there is a possibility to be in open mode without flashing an open mode kernel?
Or did I miss something totally badly?
Yes, you can trigger openmode even without flashing anything, ie if you ramload any kernel with -b and without -f flash, it also triggers open mode, that way you are in openmode with stock kernel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post: